NV30 vs. NV40: How different?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by swaaye, Jun 16, 2005.

1. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I've been wondering lately about how much NV changed NV40's design philosophy after the NV3x debacle. Is it still similar to NV30's VLIW design or more like ATI's more simplistic, easier to program design?

I was under the impression that NV30 was a step in the right direction but that it wasn't executed very well and that manufacturing process tech was insufficient for the number of additional transistors needed for good performance...

2. Jawed

Legend

3. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Well, in general - NV30 line has VERY inefficient shader instruction dispatching, slowing down the FP ALU. Later on, the NV35 throws even more FPU raw power, but with the very same lack of efficiency as NV30 has. Hell, if we compare a single NV35 vs. NV40 fragment pipeline, the first one got more raw shader power than the SM3.0 part. :twisted:
    Just read the article linked above, it's a MUST read!

4. swaaye

Legend

Yeah that's a fantastic article.

I wish more of their articles were in English! It looks like they really have some more good ones on there.

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

6. PeterAce

Regular

I think NV (for the NV3X gen) vastly underestermated the requirement of 'advanced sequencers' (in hardware) that distribute work to the ALUs and dynamically manage registers. This was a basic requirement for shader processing.

In NV40 it was mentioned that it had the 'Shader Instruction Dispatcher' in hardware. Add that to doubling the register file (allowing 8 FP16 and 4 FP32 temps), spliting the primary ALU into two ALUs (distubuting the instructions and duplicating one MUL, I think), more flexible i.e co-issue, the addition of dual-issue, adding the 'SFU' units Special Function Units Etc). All this (and more that I've prob missed) added up to make it a much faster shader processor.

7. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Think of having 18 shots of vodka and then trying to piss into the bowl. That is the nv30 . The nv40 is clean and sober sitting on the bowl . See the diffrence ?

8. _xxx_

Banned

After 18 shots of vodka, I see pretty much nothing. I'd prolly piss into the kitchen sink, thinking it's a bowl... :lol:

9. swaaye

Legend

I guess their 'party hard at work, beat the red team' vision statement didn't work out? :shock: :p

10. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah I've read through that one a couple times, excellent stuff. It's so friggin annoying that there is so much info on that site and I can't read german. The web translators suck pretty bad so they don't help much.

11. anaqer

Veteran

Commence hallucinogenics-related jokes in T minus 10...

12. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

*wrong thread*

13. swaaye

Legend

Ironic that the hallucinogenics comment was stated during NV30 development! Maybe a true sign of what really was goin on at NV :).