NV30 Moves into 2003

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Some details on the status of NV30 emerged from their financial quarter conference call last night in which their CEO stated that NV30's release is now in the Jan 2003 quarter. The addition of quarter could indicate they are giving themselves sufficient leeway in case things still are not ready in January; the statement that they had tape-out masks in the first week of November, which presumably relates to NV30, suggests late Jan to Feb if they are still applying their 100 days from tape out to production rule.

However, given yesterdays statement that they have been testing TSMC's 0.13um process since Feb/March 2002 and put in conjunction with prior statements that NV30 is the only .13um product being developed then it seems they would have been testing NV30 parts on .13um since Feb (which was the same time at ATI's R300 initial tape-out). Despite this they said yesterday they are pleased with TSMC's 0.13um Copper process.

NVIDIA are still confident that NV30 represents a sufficient step on from the rest of the industry. They also stress that with them going through the '0.13um barrier' now places them in a good position for future 0.13um based products and will give them a competitive advantage -- if any issues did relate to TSMC's 0.13um process the rest of TSMC's customers will also benefit from the resolutions though.

Hopefully the public will get the opportunity to gain a better understanding of exactly what NV30 based products will consist of in a few weeks time...

Outside of NV30, the third quarter saw both NVIDIA's desktop and notebook market share grow and already over a million units of the AGP8X NV18 & NV28 products have shipped, with a strong demand for Ti4200 8X AGP products.

2. Evildeus

Veteran

Is that in the quarter finishing in january? :-?

3. BenSkywalker

Regular

Wouldn't that be right now, or are they talking calender year? IIRC nV's third quarter ends in October, their fourth quarter runs November to January.

4. Anonymous

Veteran

The CEO said the January qtr. He didn't specifiy if this was normal quarters (Jan-Feb-Mar) or NVDA's financial quarters (Nov-Dec-Jan).

I suspect that he was saying normal quarters (Jan-Feb-Mar) as otherwise he would have just said "this quarter".

5. Evildeus

Veteran

Well just have a look at one of my french sites. Basically it says that the right quarter is "november-janueary" (confirmed by Nvidia).

http://www.clubic.com/n/gen/n7054.html

6. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

Well, the most important thing is the tape out date - first week of November. Are they seriously going to break they '100 days from tape out to production' by that much of a margin?

7. Evildeus

Veteran

Where does this information comes from? Mufu said in october no?

8. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

i am sorry to disagree but I think it's clearly the first calendar Q of 03 - jsut check the most biased NV-site, the nvneews:

January quarter sounds like it could be anywhere from January until the end of the first quarter, which is the end of March. My guess is that it will ship in January.

That's it - I agree that DrT2 said.

9. Evildeus

Veteran

Well i don't disagree with you, but that just the confirmation that a french site (quite know in france) got from Nvidia in France... So you make what you want of it, but it's official for me not just speculation.

10. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

Agreed. :)

We'll see... ;)

11. Xmas

Xmas Porous
    Veteran Subscriber

I don't think that's the same as "tape-out in the first week of November"...

12. MikeC

Newcomer

I assumed quarters based on a standard fiscal calendar (Jan-Dec) when I made that comment :)

Am hoping to get a clarification from NVIDIA.

13. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

I think the important statement was: "We are dissapointed to have missed the holiday season"

14. Anonymous

Veteran

Go ATI

Those damn cards will never get out. Now i will go with ATI. They have the best cards and from the impression one gets from nvidia this will probably still be the case for at least 6 months. No use dreaming about a fabelous card that never reaches the customers.

15. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

AFAIK this means they've finished the final design. :-?

16. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

:wink:

17. Anonymous

Veteran

This make me remember old days,...

I can remember when 3DFX annonced their Voodoo5 6000 with 4 graphic GPU and 128 megs. The company have been bought by nVidia and we have never seen any sample of this suposed revolutionary product, the first who was suposed to offer DirectX in Hardware. At this time we could see the first Geforce Card hits shelf and a new High Ends product try from ATI the Rage Fury MAXX!

Well it seems that the wind is turning once again First it was ATI, Trident and Cirrus Logic who were standing on the throne, then the 3D came with 3DFX a new company with awesome addon card, no PC were using somthing else for his 3D solution then nVidia came with their Riva chip and starting to take some rooms in the PC market, and the TNT comes it was the first card to offer us the possiblity of playing with 32 bit color depth. Since nVidia and ATI were already offering solution with 32 megs on-board memory, 3DFX was lunching thier new graphic solution with the 3DFX Voodoo 3 with only 16 megs. The product didn't get as much as attention as wanted by 3DFX and they tried to lunch their Voodoo 4 and 5 but wind was already in the way to nVidia new leader in speed and 3D quality. 3DFX fell as it was not possible to lunch their new V5 6000 to get back in the high ends products. It would have been a great product if it has been released in time, but it was too late new technologie was already on the shelf and this new Geforce was getting attention by almost everyone! This was the end of one of the great one,.. 3DFX. At this time no one could stand in front of a Geforce Card even the new comer Fury Maxx released by the all new high end 3D card construtor ATI. Then the ATI Radeon come along with the Geforce 2 board, the Radeon was the wise design and the Geforce2 was the fastest as it as been from months already. Peoples started to think about ATI Radeon as a possible solution for high 3D since the Radeon were offering near the Geforce2 speed and with a better visual quality. Now ATI and Nvidia were about to release a new products nVidia lunched the the Geforce 3 and ATI the Radeon 8500 the fight is even tighter, since the only way nVidia found to beat their arch rival was to stand on their better software developer to get back as the fasted card available, ATI as been pulled back by the new Detonator 3. Then nVidia came with the new Geforce 4 which is just the normal evolution of their card over years, a few more FPS with every new cards released as Geforce 4. ATI came from nowhere with his new code name R300 everyones was saying the same, bah ATI is always saying they will release the fastest solution ever and they barely get the speed of the last nVidia product! But this time,... they came with the Radeon 9700 pro which is almost 2 Generation more advanced then is nearest rival nVidia which was a almost full directx 8.1 product, the ATI 9700 pro was not only a partly Directx 9 product as the Matrox Parhelia, he was one step higher a full directx 9 product, nVidia has nothing to give to compete with this exept code name NV30 which is suposed to be the next generation Geforce. Unfortunatly for nVidia, the ATI board was performing really well where it need to be fast, in very high quality graphics up to 300% faster then the fastest Geforce board available at this time. ATI reachs the throne of the best quality and fastest 3D solution with the R300 as nVidia did with the Geforce two years ago. As it was not enough ATI was also releasing a new low end card with a chip advanced as the Geforce 4 card, the Radeon 9000 pro(Directx 8.1 full). The price of the Geforce 4mx(still directx 7) with almost the performance of the Geforce 4 Ti 4200. With the release of the 9000 pro ATI launched their new Notebook solution the Mobility Radeon 9000. ATI is the now the leader and fastest and more advanced in every area. nVidia annonced they will work on their NV30 design because need to fix the fact that the NV30 can't compete with the R300 as it is right now. They fixed some bottleneck on their design. As the NV30 technical sheet is slowly comming out, we can see that the NV30 will still be using a 128bit memory interface instead of the new 256bit memory interface used by the R300 which is the main reason why the R300 outperform everything. I can trully hope that nVidia NV30 will trully hit the shelfs, but i'm starting to fear the fact that it is always reported, as the 3DFX V5 6000 as been in the past.

Dont be afraid for nVidia, they are still known by the mass as the fastest product. But if they dont give us somthing at least 50% faster then R300 and before ATI came with a faster solution, i wonder if nVidia will be able to keep his good reputation of the fastest one! Peoples tired of waiting for the NV30 are starting to buy the fastest pruduct since this summer, the ATI Radeon 9700 pro. I dont think they gonna switch for the NV30 if it's not at least 50% faster as the ATI card is running everything with very good performance and quality. ATI as always offred more option and wisely designed hardware than nVidia. The nVidia NV30 is suposed to switch on the wise side since ATI is starting to get on the brute power side with the Radeon 9700 pro.

I wonder who will win?,... if one will win? If i look in the past i would say nVidia will fall and ATI will win as the Brute power has always won on this battle for the throne. I more likely a fan of the wise side, so i can say i'm happy for ATI with their new throne but i wish they will not forget what happened in the past.

I hope nVidia will not die as 3DFX does when they have been surpassed by nVidia by a clever pruduct with lots of brute power.

The fight between nVidia and ATI is the best that happened to the 3D industry, we can now get games like Doom III comming on the shelfs, with this kind of graphics quality in games even if we are nVidia fan or a ATI fan, we need both company to get what we want from a game. The realism is getting more deeper than ever. I've been playing Asheron's Call 2 Beta Test, one of the most beautiful game i've ever seen (even in preview) and when i've jumped off the cliff i were feeling like i were falling for real! I think this is due to the realism of the game. We can get real fear or real vertigo from games, is it not amasing how we can feel our haert beat when get you play to a game like Medal of Honnor, on the Omaha Beach trying to get to the cliff, we can hear the bullets everywhere you can almost say "it's real!, damn it's too real!" with 6.1 audio system bigger screen, 19" and 21"! 3D realism as we were only expecting in our dreams.

Well this is why i hope the NV30 will be the best graphic card ever released by far! To hit the butt of ATI and make them deisgn an even better graphics solution.

And if nVidia fell i hopw Matrox Parhelia or the Kyro will give us the new futur high end product we need to get the games even better than they are.

This is what this post inspired me.
    I hope you ejoyed it.
    Enjoy gaming!, if not.

18. Mephisto

Newcomer

I doubt they tested the 0.13u process using the NV30 design. In order to test the process it's more likely to use a less complex part so that you can adjust/tweak the design faster.

In addition to this, having "tape-out masks in the first week of November" does not imply that these are the NV30 masks, it is in fact very unlikely. It me it seems that it could be nForce3, NV31, NV34 or another design. It takes around 6 to 8 months from tape out to the market, so their spring line has to tape out now to be on time.

19. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

NVIDIA's timetable is usually 100 days from tape out to production, which is about 3 months.

20. Mephisto

Newcomer

GF3 taped out in october, it was in stores in may. R300 taped out in february, it was in stores this august.