NV 7600GT vs. NV 6800GT (RMA)

Kurt

Newcomer
Just got an e-mail from the online store offering me to replace my RMA'ed

ASUS 6800GT (2yrs old, 350MHz core, 500MHz memory, 256MB, 256bit DDR3,) with an
XFX 7600GT 580M (580/750MHz, 256MB/128bit DDR3, lite retail - whatever that means)

The 6800GT was €250 new, this one is €160. Does this sound like a good deal?

It certainly kicks the butt of the 5900XT I have to make do with at the moment (don't laugh) but how does it perform in newer games at 1280x1024? Opinions appreciated! :)

TAKE IT!!!!!! :oops:

The 7600GT is a killer little gaming card, very possibly the best mid-range card you can buy.

Don't be fooled by the price difference, that 7600GT will toast your 6800GT hands down.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/xfx_geforce_7600_gt_agp_review/

I have a 6800GT AGP and had a 7600GT PCIe and the 7600GT impressed the bejebus out of me, it's a sweet card. A big step up from your 6800GT. :)

EDITED BITS: Don't tell anybody, but I have a 5950XT as a back-up AGP card so don't feel too bad. SHHHH though, that's a secret. ;)

curt i had a 6800gt it broke so i got a 7600gt
basically the 7600gt is between 0 to 10% faster than the 6800gt
so its a good swap

just make sure they refund you the difference

OK, thank you, I've looked through the review and it should be slightly better than the 6800GT which is fine by me.

@Davros: Do you really think I could ask them to refund the difference? That would be nice, but the card is almost two years old (still under warranty, though) and they told me they'd replace it with something equivalent. I would really like a 1950 Pro instead and no refund but I fear that might be stretching it a bit, or would it?

Push for a refund of difference or a higher card. Fact is that they have to RMA you the card and should do so with one of equal value, so even if they refuse to pay the difference/X1950 Pro you no matter what get the 7600GT.

absolutely by equivelent gfx card they should mean equivalent by price
so you should ask for a 7900gs or a x1950

Gee that's nice, so if I have a three year warranty and the card just *happens* to break at the end of it, I get it replaced by it's original price?

Gee that's nice, so if I have a three year warranty and the card just *happens* to break at the end of it, I get it replaced by it's original price?

You should, but in the way your phrase it that would simply make you a dick. Don't abuse the system.

Yes.....
for example you'd be upset if your old expensive top of the range card with a long warrenty
was rma'd for a 5200fx even if it did perform the same
i rma a £200 card and get a £50 card back = not a happy bunny :D

Just to let you know... I've just received a shrink-wrapped PNY 7800GS! What can I say, I'm as happy as dog with two dicks. Thanks again for the wise words of advice, everybody. :) I'd rep ya'll if I could.

I don't think I agree with getting a new card worth the original price of the RMA'd is right. The customer should get the same or equivalent/better card. A made up example: Should a customer RMAing a year old $200 card (now sells for $100) get a new $200 card? I don't think so.

Breez walks into his local p.c retailer broken gfx card in hand

Storekeeper : Hello miss

Breez : What do you mean miss

Storekeeper : Sorry ive got a cold. Whats the problem

Breez : This 'ere gfx card I bought not long ago is dead

Storekeeper : Are you sure its not pining

Breez : Pining ?

Storekeeper : Yes pining, for the fjords

Breez : No its dead and its still under warranty

Storekeeper : Do you have the receipt

Breez: Yes

Storekeeper : Ok we dont have that card in stock anymore i'll have to give you a refund

Breez: Ok

Storekeeper : Here you go $50. Have a nice day

Breez : Hang on $50 I paid $200 for that card

Storekeeper : Yeah but you can get a card now with equal performance for $50

Breez : Ahh I see... thank you, that seems fair, I am very happy

To quote the above poster: "I dont think so"

ps:
"Should a customer RMAing a year old $200 card (now sells for $100) get a new $200 card? I don't think so."

yes.... (Of course the it would be fine for them to send him and identical replacement no matter what it now retails for)
if they were giving him a refund should they say that card you bought for $200 now sells for $100 so we will refund you $100 I say no they should refund his purchase price

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie question

Sorry to jump inot this thread, I have looked through search and have not found the answer

here are my specs

Opteron 185 OC'd to 2.9ghz 1.4 CV
2 GB OCZ RAM

I currently have an ASUS 6800GT AGP (with only 128 MB of ram, duh I should have got the 256 MB)

I am looking to improve my setup for another year or so until I can go with a full pci-e AM2 setup.

Is it worth it for me to upgrade to a XFX 7950GT 512MB?

I tried the BFG 7600gc 512MB and I got a decrease in performance. Will the 7950 better my performance or should I stay with my current card until I can upgrade the whole kit and kaboodle next year?

Thanks in advance for your help

Wasn't aware there were 7950GT in AGP form. I'd say your best luck is a X1950 Pro in AGP. Around $200~ maybe lower.

Wasn't aware there were 7950GT in AGP form. I'd say your best luck is a X1950 Pro in AGP. Around $200~ maybe lower.

Yup, only one out there now that OC.UK isn't making their 7800 GS+ 24-pipe G71 card any longer.

I effectively had the exact same card, and it's great. It's worth it so long as you intend to use resolutions and/or AA+AF and/or HDR in excess. If you're playing on a 1280x1024 (or less) CRT, your system will probably bottleneck before the card will.

On my 1680x1050 LCD at native res, I can make the card choke well before my CPU becomes a factor.

Ninja edit:
Another great card to look at is the 1950XT AGP -- has far better clocks than the 1950Pro and the full 16 ROP / 48 pipe configuration of a true XT (compared to the 16 ROP / 24 pipe config of the 7950GT) . Pure-performance wise, it stomps the 7950GT pretty good and costs around the same, the downside is only 256mb of framebuffer...

Back