NPD October 2017

Goodtwin

Veteran
Supporter
Nintendo Switch once again takes the top spot as the best selling console in October. When combined with the 3DS and presumably the SNES Classic, Nintendo accounted for two thirds the console sales. I would think November is a lock for Xbox with the X model releasing, but October was all Nintendo.

I dont think Nov is a lock for Xbox. I'd lean that way but i dunno about lock.

Counting SNES classic seems a bit unfair.

Top 20

1. Middle-earth: Shadow of War
  2. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
  3. Super Mario Odyssey**
  4. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
  5. NBA 2K18
  6. FIFA 18
  7. WWE 2K18
  8. Madden NFL 18
  9. Destiny 2*
  10. Forza Motorsport 7
  11. Gran Turismo Sport
  12. Grand Theft Auto V
  13. The Evil Within 2**
  14. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus**
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  16. Mario Kart 8**
  17. Fire Emblem: Warriors**
  18. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  19. NHL 18
  20. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
* No Battle.net sales
** No digital sales

Shadow of War over AC seems surprising. Maybe Forza over GT Sport too though 10th is nothing spectacular. GT series has fallen very substantially over the last two entries. Forza seems middling lately too, Forza Horizon has become bigger. Mario no digital sales I guess.

Not bad another 3rd party IP for the Nintendo Switch has charted in the top 20 of NPD. And that's despite coming out in the same month as Mario Odyssey.

Regards,
SB

Shadow of War over AC seems surprising.

The yearly releases of games like Assassins Creed has to wear thin at some point. When an IP sees yearly releases it is only a matter of time before enthusiasm starts to fade. Shadow of Mordor was a fantastic game, and it was been 3 years since that released. Maintaining adequate time in between releases helps build anticipation, and keeps the series from feeling stale so quickly.

Not bad another 3rd party IP for the Nintendo Switch has charted in the top 20 of NPD

It is good to see Fire Emblem Warriors doing well. I doubt it is doing as well as Hyrule Warriors did on Wii U, but Fire Emblem doesn't have as much fan recognition as Zelda does. The fact that Switch has four exclusives all charting in the top 20 is a very good sign. It was pretty obvious to me that Switch was going to do well in Japan, and has been fulfilling those expectations on a weekly basis. The Western territories was not so clear and we needed to get beyond the initial launch window because we could really start to extrapolate what kind of enthusiasm there is for the Switch in the US and Europe. It certainly isn't as strong as in Japan, but far better than Wii U and the Gamecube. Predicting Wii level sales at this point is premature. Nintendo has released so many of their big hitters in year one, and it would be tough to repeat this level of first party support year after year.

GT is mostly Europe, has been for a while afaik.

Are these NPDs with Digital sales yet? Because I don’t think GT Sport, with its online focus, will have many disc sales either ...

Anyway, Forza is a big game too and has a smaller install base to sell to, unless this also counts PC sales?

GT is mostly Europe, has been for a while afaik.

Are these NPDs with Digital sales yet? Because I don’t think GT Sport, with its online focus, will have many disc sales either ...

Anyway, Forza is a big game too and has a smaller install base to sell to, unless this also counts PC sales?

Ones with a double asterisk (**) have no digital sales reported and ones with a single asterisk (*) have no battle.net sales reported.

In all other cases digital sales are included.

Regards,
SB

The yearly releases of games like Assassins Creed has to wear thin at some point. When an IP sees yearly releases it is only a matter of time before enthusiasm starts to fade. Shadow of Mordor was a fantastic game, and it was been 3 years since that released. Maintaining adequate time in between releases helps build anticipation, and keeps the series from feeling stale so quickly.

Assassin's Creed and Mario only had 3-4 days worth of sales in October, whereas Shadow of War had much longer. I know sales are front loaded, but not that much.

Also last Assassin's Creed came out in 2015, so they actually took more time with this. Seems to be getting good reviews.

Last edited:
For those wanting more details for NPD October 2017 have a read of the ResetEra post by ZhugEX -- https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-october-2017-shadow-of-war-1-sw-nintendo-switch-1-hw.6580/

It includes breakdowns of top games per platform and lists best selling games of 2017 too.

Hmmm, I wonder if the console hardware sales position is by revenue or by units? Either way it's fairly impressive for Nintendo.

According to the NPD Group, which tracks U.S. video game sales, the Nintendo Switch system was the No. 1 video game hardware in October, followed by the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system in the No. 2 spot. When combined with the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, Nintendo systems accounted for two-thirds of all video game hardware sold in the United States for the second month in a row. The U.S. video game industry achieved hardware sales of more than 1 million total units in October for the first time since 2011.

So, the SNES mini "console" did better than PS4 and XBO but couldn't do better than the Switch. :D

Also wish sales numbers were still included. 6 of the top 10 Nintendo titles are 3rd party titles.

Even without digital sales and being on a single platform (I guess Wii-U contributed a little also but not in the same as most multiplats being on PS4/XBO/PC), Zelda still manages to hang onto the number 5 spot on best selling games of 2017.

I expect the other single platform best sellers for 2017 (8-10) will have a chance to be pushed off as the Holiday season goes on and the big hitters come to market. HZD might be able to hang on though.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back