NPD November 2004

Teasy

Veteran
PS2 = 849,000
GCN = 754,000
XBX = 491,000

These sales are unconfirmed so far, but I'm 90% sure that they're real NPD numbers.

I'm giving it a week, the numbers have been too conflicting today, everyone has an NPD chart.. most had PS2 over 1mil, which is why I question this one.

I think that's because some numbers out there seem to be for Q4 2003 and others for November only, here's the numbers from www.gamefront.de which is a very reliable source in my experience:

Sold Hardware IV. 2003:
1. Game Boy Advance: 1.724.000 St.
2. PlayStation2: 1.149.000 St.
3. Gamecube: 1.008.000 St.
4. Xbox: 667.000 St.

Installed Hardware-Base:
1. PlayStation2: 20.288.000 St.
2. Game Boy Advance: 17.633.000 St.
3. Xbox: 6.669.000 St.
4. Gamecube: 5.702.000 St.

creditsfb.jpg

edit: typos

Now I'm 99.9% sure the numbers I posted are correct. Check out what you get if you add Octobers official numbers to the ones I posted:

PS2 - 300,000 + 849,000 = 1,149,000
GC - 254,000 + 754,000 = 1,008,000
XBox - 176,000 + 491,000 = 667,000

The final numbers match the ones at GameFront.de exactly (so do the GBA ones but I didn't bother posting them). So it seems the other ones going around are October + November numbers.

There have been numbers being posted on TeamXbox forums. The best one I found was this one...

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234101

It has an ZIP file that contains a PDF file from CSFB. They don't give the figures specifically for November, but they do give numbers by quarter and total to-date. They get the numbers from NPD FunWorld.

If I'm reading their charts right, they're showing about 6.7 million total for Xbox in the US and 5.7 million for the Gamecube in the US. Almost 1 million difference between the two. Is that what you guys are seeing too?

Tommy McClain

Now I'm 99.9% sure the numbers I posted are correct. Check out what you get if you add Octobers official numbers to the ones I posted

Teasy haven´t you played with the numbers * just a little * ;)
:D

If I'm reading their charts right, they're showing about 6.7 million total for Xbox in the US and 5.7 million for the Gamecube in the US. Almost 1 million difference between the two. Is that what you guys are seeing too?

Yes, that seems about right. According to the numbers I've seen, before the GC price drop the difference was around 1,308,000. At the end of November it was around 967,000.

These are the right numbers. Good job Teasy.

Looks like Nintendo has done a good job at moving some hardware. Though third parties are still really hurting on the Cube. It's safe to say that Nintendo has so far salvaged the Cube from ruination as I indicated they would if they retreated into their safe niche of selling to parents for a cheap price and pushing kiddie games like Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Kirby.

It's hard to say what the lasting effects of the price drop will be if they don't get games out there that appeal to a wider audience.

Wow the Cube made up 341,000 units on XB in just two months. And the GCN software is doing well too. MK:DD is a big hit..historically MK games have legs too so we'll see. My prediction of the GBA catching and passing PS2 by Q1 2004 really looks to become true if it keeps up.

The figures are looking good for the Cube, but anyone want to list some potential upcoming killer apps that might helped sustain this?

This Xmas is still the Cube's greatest test. Hope it'll keep rolling.

Re: November U.S hardware sales

IGN.COM said:
December 16, 2003 - Nintendo of America today announced that sales of its GameCube console were through the roof for the month of November. The company also revealed that Mario Kart: Double Dash!! was the number-one selling game for the busy holiday shopping period.

According to TRSTS data, 754,000 GameCubes were sold during the month of November. This is particularly good news as it proves that the recent $99 price reduction is continuing to spur sales.

Though GameCube sales failed to outperform that of Sony's, which sold 850,000 PlayStation 2s, Nintendo did seriously one-up Xbox sales for the month. Microsoft's console sold through only 490,000 units.

Just as important, Nintendo's flagship GameCube title for the holidays, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, was the number-one selling game in November with 528,000 units sold. This figure is made all the more impressive because the racer was out available for only two weeks of the month.

Game Boy Advance, meanwhile, sold through 1.3 million units in November, easily besting everything else out there.

numbers seem to be correct.

I'm just amazed that even at that price point the GC couldn't catch up to the PS2! What does Nintendo have to do? Give it away for free? What is Sony doing right with the PS2? My goodness, I guess Sony was right not to bother with a price cut. Too bad as I'm in the market for an X-box and was hoping MS would have to keep up with Sony if it happened.

MK:DD isn't the best selling game, though. True Crime sold 354,448 on PS2, 198,245 on XBox and 50,435 on GC (= 603128)
On the same report, MK:DD sold 527,742.

What is Sony doing right with the PS2?
Pretty much everything...

marconelly! said:
MK:DD isn't the best selling game, though. True Crime sold 354,448 on PS2, 198,245 on XBox and 50,435 on GC (= 603128)
On the same report, MK:DD sold 527,742.

Either they cannot count or they were talking about GCN here :LOL:

Other than Nintendo first party, Japanese developers got their ass handed to them, once again validating my rock-solid theory that Western-based developers are taking over the US/EU sales charts.

The latest press release from SCEA shows that globally Gamecube is #2.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031217/sfw048_1.html

SCEA Press Release said:
PlayStation 2 currently comprises more than 51 percent of the next-generation year-to-date market share, with the closest competitor, GameCube, with less than half the market share at 25 percent, according to NPD Funworld.

Pretty interesting press release. All kinds data in there and it's pretty lengthy. Any comments on it?

Tommy McClain

Back