NPD November 2003

Thanks to Gash Prex from Gaming Age Forum

As you can see, Sony is keeping their ~60% sales share while Xbox and GC had pretty equal sales in november.

November Sales Numbers -
Hardware #'s
---------------------------------
PS2 1.3 million
Xbox 468,000
GC 468,000
GBA 1.3 million

Total game hardware unit sales were down 12% year over year. PS2 hardware sales accelerated significantly to 1.3 million units, growing 46% year over year (up 146% month over month). Xbox hardware of 468,000 units fell 35% year over year from the launch period (up 96% month over month). GameCube hardware sales of 468,000 units were down 29% from last year's launch period (up 176% month over month on the launch of Metroid). Game Boy Advance hardware sales also grew, up 38% year over year to 1.3 million units. The other category for hardware fell 99% (Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, etc.).

Rank Title Publisher Platform Units
Total 21,047,040
1 PS2 GRAND THEFT AUTO:VICE Take-Two PS2 1,452,729
2 GCN METROID PRIME Nintendo GCN 363,389
3 PS2 WWE: SHUT YOUR MOUTH THQ PS2 348,515
4 PS2 TONY HAWKS PRO SKATR4 Activision PS2 321,941
5 GBA YU-GI-OH! ETERNAL Konami GBA 269,498
6 PS2 MADDEN NFL 2003 Electronic Arts PS2 240,796
7 XBX T.CLANCY'S SPLINTER Ubi Soft XBX 223,879
8 PS2 LORD OF RINGS: TOWERS Electronic Arts PS2 203,802
9 PS2 MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY Midway PS2 202,592
10 GBA METROID FUSION Nintendo GBA 199,723

Top 10 Xbox Games
-------------------------------------
Splinter Cell 223,879
Mech Assault 118,475
Ghost Recon 115,330
Unreal Championship 110,970
Mortal Kombat 104,155
MOH: Frontline 96,885
Halo 99,884
MGS2: Substance 69,121
Tony Hawk 4 55,749
Bond 007: Nightfire 53,279

Top 10 PS2 Games
-----------------------------------
GTA: Vice City 1,452,729
WWE: Shut Your Mouth 348,515
Tony Hawk 4 321,941
Madden NFL 2003 240,796
LOTR: TT 203,802
Mortal Kombat 202,592
Kingdom Hearts 182,418
Harry Potter 148,166
NBA Live 141,402
Bond 007: Nightfire 136,779

Top 10 GC Games
--------------------------------------
Metroid Prime 363,389
Mario Party 4 166,975
Super Mario Sunshine 131,498
Resident Evil 0 113,301
Harry Potter 83,998
Star Fox Adventures 66,695
Animal Crossing 61,806
Super Smash Bros Melee 50,832
Bond 007: Nightfire 49,897
Star Wars: Clone Wars 46,096

A great Nov for everyone indeed. The guys from THQ and EA look like asses now though. The GC has caught up with the XB (Metroid and Mario Prty 4 as catalysts). Does'nt look like the GCN is "loosing traction" to me. GBA and PS2 still kicking ass though. GCN sold more software than XB..that's new.

i Honestly doubt MP will keep up nintendo's sales though. After christmas they'll all go down. Plus they aren't counting xbox live as software.

Well, over the past few months the Cube certainly has been losing out against Xbox in the West. Xbox, of course, is as good as dead in Japan but this is not a market Western publishers are particularly concerned about.

Even if Xbox and Cube are tied in the US in November, Xbox has probably sold more in Europe. Still, it's not long ago they were spelling doom for Xbox in Europe because of piss-poor sales so obviously such statements should be taken with a grain of salt.

cybamerc said:
Well, over the past few months the Cube certainly has been losing out against Xbox in the West. Xbox, of course, is as good as dead in Japan but this is not a market Western publishers are particularly concerned about.

Even if Xbox and Cube are tied in the US in November, Xbox has probably sold more in Europe. Still, it's not long ago they were spelling doom for Xbox in Europe because of piss-poor sales so obviously such statements should be taken with a grain of salt.

even the playstation had lagging sales at first. It pulled out of it over time. I'd really like to know how many units of Xbox Live! were sold. I'd imagine its close to around 200,000 just for november. I would love to see decembers sales.

I agree with whomever in the other thread saying that Nintendos absolute bestest bestest months are the Christmas season (as are Sony and MSs, but not as lopsided).

I dont think Nintendo's sales will fall off as sharply as others think though, as Zelda is right around the corner.

Overall, I think MS did nobly considering the lack of big name franchises (no Halo, no DoA, etc). The bundles are what saved their butts this holiday imo, Splinter Cell isnt enough in the face of GTA and Metroid.

Next year MS will shine with Halo 2 and Ninja Gaiden though...

In short: Any sales generated for MS were due to the bundle, as their software offering was pretty blah. Nintendo did as expected, and Sony continues to make like an 800lb Gorilla.

I am surprised that no one mentioned the Xbox Live sales though.

I wonder if it was more the holiday season then it was MP that sold the GC.

Legion said:
I am surprised that no one mentioned the Xbox Live sales though.

I wonder if it was more the holiday season then it was MP that sold the GC.

Xbox live sales were mentioned, when Nintendo stated MP was selling double what XBox live was selling, and I recall everyone bitching about how Xbox live isnt software, so he shouldnt compare....

Xbox live is only a service, it has to be used with software...kind of like Ghost Recon, UC, and Mech Assault, and those are all listed(the ones that sold worth a crap)

Yea i talked about how dependent nintendo is on the holidays because the fan base is mostly kids , who really don't have a source of income and get most games for birthdays and x mass. My little cousin is getting 5 game cube games , which is 3 more than he got for the rest of the year , excluding his birthday. He is also 7 years old. Also zelda is coming out . I have friends that will be buying systems for that. I had a few friends that bought a system for metriod. The gamecube has a good stream of fun , high quality games coming out. Thats what matters imho.

I seem to remember some people thinking Splinter Cell would out sell Metroid Prime.. :oops:

I wonder were these latest sales puts total U.S numbers now?

Even if Xbox and Cube are tied in the US in November, Xbox has probably sold more in Europe.

I doubt it, last real numbers I saw showed GC well ahead. Last I heard they were now equal in Europe, but I didn't actually see any link to the numbers.

Teasy:

> XBox may have caught up but not gone ahead AFAICS

I meant that it has probably outsold Cube for the last couple of months, not overall (although it might, I dunno). Some ppl are very shortsighted and have bad memory to boot so if Cube is behind Xbox for a few months then surely it is doomed. Nevermind the first 6 months were Xbox was performing horribly (in Europe).

Teasy- I know there are a ton of adult nintendo gamers out there. That is why you see the big games and the good games sell alot when they first come out. Thats why zelda will do so well, why res 0 did so well . but honestly , there has got to be half the user base worth of kids . And I'm 90% sure that there are more under 14 year olds that own the cube , than there are that own the ps2 and the xbox. If you don't agree , that is alright . I wont hate you.

I personally hope all the kiddies have been holding off on a Cube for Christmas. Their parents' money are as good as any others.

cybamerc , I don't believe the sales of the system would be that great , in line with the others yes , but nothing crazy. I expect the software to do alot better than expected though. Did zelda sell almost 1:1 when it came out on the n64... something like 6 million copys ?

Cube may outsell Xbox but not PS2. Nintendo may be the company stigmatized with the kiddy image but in reality kids play GTA3 on their PS2. That's just the way it is. Screw ignorance... I just want Nintendo to rake in teh moneyz. Even if the consoles are only sold to children or parents giving lavish presents that's fine by me. I like kiddy games.

not hardware wise , but most likely software wise , they did it with the n64 they can do it with the gamecube.

Back