NPD January 2017 Sales Results

NPD results are out: PS4 is lower than last year, Xbox One is higher. This is with the Pro already released, and the Scorpio yet to come out. It will be really interesting next year.
Yet PS4 was still the best selling console. Don't think much will change next year tbh...

With the PS4 being down and XB1 being up, that means:
PS4 <230K
XB1 >150K

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-tops-january-2017-us-sales/1100-6447726/

Sony confirmed the news with GameSpot, also noting four of the five best-selling games during the month were for PS4.

Next month should be an easy win for Sony, seeing that they're dropping the price down to 249 for almost 2 weeks. Plus Horizon, Nioh and NieR release this month.

Nioh seems to be a sleeper hit. While I think sales will still be on the low side, it seems to be getting very good reviews, and the viewer count on twitch is quite high. Sales might be better than some might have expected. Seems to like a Dark Souls game with Ninja Gaiden's combat.

PS4 <230K
XB1 >150K

I had XBO at 132k last january, is there a source for 150k?? I have 132k down as derived from a pie chart.

Nevertheless if GAF mavens are using 150k, it's probably accurate. Probably eventually got the real number through their back channels?

Anyways I dont think it's good for PS to be down YoY given BOTH PSVR and PS4 Pro very recently released. Both very big product releases.

Still, PS4 now 3-0 since Pro released.

Edit: Also, weakass month. But so was January 16 I guess.

Depends how much its down by. If a couple of percent, it's not so much a decline as statistical noise. PSVR and Pro never struck me as means to move boxes and generate growth, so that's no surprise. I also argue that they're very big product releases. I'd call them product releases. Has there been a large ad campaign to tell everyone about PSVR, for example? Sony said they didn't seek advertising because they knew demand would outstrip supply anyway at launch so kept it on the down-low, although we can't take that at face value as PR. A price cut would move boxes.

If PS4 sales are notably down, then there's a little cause for concern.

Sony did keep it on the
In ads they are still advertising PS4Slim bundles, at least in most of Europe. If the pro and PSVR are really sold out then I understand; you don't pay money to have people want a product that is not available.
MS is smart as well; they don't advertise Scorpio yet.

Depends how much its down by. If a couple of percent, it's not so much a decline as statistical noise. PSVR and Pro never struck me as means to move boxes and generate growth, so that's no surprise. I also argue that they're very big product releases. I'd call them product releases. Has there been a large ad campaign to tell everyone about PSVR, for example? Sony said they didn't seek advertising because they knew demand would outstrip supply anyway at launch so kept it on the down-low, although we can't take that at face value as PR. A price cut would move boxes.

If PS4 sales are notably down, then there's a little cause for concern.

For PSVR asian and japan consumer complain on Amazon for example.. And sellers tells me every week people ask about availaibilty of PS4 Pro in Switzerland. It is the problem of sales analysis without all the data we van only do some conjecture. We have little data from US and only precise data from Japan with a PS4 PRo representing 30% of PS4 Sales last week in Japan and supply contraint...

I think it is PR to said they didn't advertise the system, the didn't know how exactly the market will react to PS4 Pro and PSVR, they launch with limited quantity... It is better than lost money or sales because they produced less PS4 Slim and more PS4 Pro. I will wait for PS4 Pro but parents buying a PS4 Slim for christmas to their children would have gone with a Xbox One S if the Slim was not available. They need to solve the problem before June...

I will buy a PS4 Pro when the product is available in the country I live...

Last edited:
It is better than lost money or sales because they produced less PS4 Slim and more PS4 Pro.
True, but unusually cautious for big business trying to launch a bleeding-edge tech product. Surely PSVR would have done better with lots of availability and lots of advertising? To make the product but not invest in its advertising shows a lack of faith in it.

I had XBO at 132k last january, is there a source for 150k?? I have 132k down as derived from a pie chart.

Nevertheless if GAF mavens are using 150k, it's probably accurate. Probably eventually got the real number through their back channels?

Anyways I dont think it's good for PS to be down YoY given BOTH PSVR and PS4 Pro very recently released. Both very big product releases.

Still, PS4 now 3-0 since Pro released.

Edit: Also, weakass month. But so was January 16 I guess.

Xbox One best January was 150k before and now January 2017 is the best Xbox january... This is how they know it is better than 150k...

Last edited:
I am sure the product is not available in Luxembourg and Switzerland, it was the two country where I was working until end of November 2016 in Luxembourg and since end of november 2016 in Switzerland. And I live near France and I was living in France and not far from Germany until end of November 2016. For France and Germany it is better but not enough consoles to satisfy the demand. In Luxembourg and Switzerland (Tiers 2 country), they only give an initial batch of consoles and nothing since the launch....

In Asia it is bad too... And the PS4 Slim sales are great in all this country...

In US I think Microsoft can be number one at the end of generation, the Xbox brand is strong. Sony will keep the lead in the rest of the world.

The problem is not power of the console or price for Microsoft, in the rest of the world, it is Playstation brand is bigger than Xbox brand. If Sony launch a console supported by 3rd party and not too expensive like the PS3, they will always win. Microsoft probably lost a bunch of hardcore gamer launching a 500 euros consoles and less powerful but if the power was the same or a little better than the PS4 at 400 euros, the Xbox One would have been behind the PS4...

Last edited:
In US I think Microsoft can be number one at the end of generation, the Xbox brand is strong.
What are MS going to do to turn the tide? Because they're being outsold in US. To win, they need to outsell PS4. Possibly Scorpio will manage that, but it's very up in the air at this point. And that depends on Scorpio being a this-gen console and not a next-gen console!

What are MS going to do to turn the tide? Because they're being outsold in US. To win, they need to outsell PS4. Possibly Scorpio will manage that, but it's very up in the air at this point. And that depends on Scorpio being a this-gen console and not a next-gen console!

The gap is not so big in US 1,6/1,7 millions maybe the Scorpio will help Microsoft beat Sony in US... The marketing behind the Scorpio will be big...

On Sony side I am curious to see what the first AAA Spiderman with Sony and Marvel marketing big push can do sales wise...

And I am confident with Insomniac studio developing it, it will be a very good game...

These mid generation consoles kind of muddy up the waters. Is Scorpio a new Xbox One model or a next gen console? I'm not sure its fair to compare sales of consoles to previous generation goings forward. These mid generation consoles are going to convince a lot of early adopters to upgrade. If your an early adopter, your probably the most likely to fork out the money for an upgraded model. Using total sales to determine the user base is going to be less accurate going forward. Not that it was ever fool proof, but none the less, the number of people double dipping is going to inflate the number. Even with PS4, perhaps without the PS4 Pro, the sales maybe have peaked and started to slide year over year, but thanks to PS4 Pro selling to early PS4 adopters, it will reap benefits that consoles like the 360 and PS3 before them didn't enjoy. Smaller cheaper models were always a think, but mid generation upgrades is new to the console market, Nintendo has done it with handhelds for a long time. Would the Nintendo DS have sold as many units without the DSi? Or 3DS without the New 3DS?

I suspect the Pro is selling to current PS4 owners more than anyone, this is going to push a lot of used PS4 onto the market. I sold my old PS4 when I bought the Pro, my friend did the same. Don't expect XB1+Scorpio to break any records either, the high price and small group of potential buyers is going to limit its sales.

The gap is not so big in US 1,6/1,7 millions...
But it's there. Regardless how big the gap is, XB1 has to start outselling PS4 month after month to overtake, unless there's a sudden spike such as 2 million more units sold over one Christmas. That's why I find it hard to accept any prediction that the status quo will change without a clear explanation of the forces that will invoke the change.

These mid generation consoles kind of muddy up the waters. Is Scorpio a new Xbox One model or a next gen console? I'm not sure its fair to compare sales of consoles to previous generation goings forward.
I concur. And given the hardware is all grouped together in financials these days, there's not really much to be gained from it anyhow. We're comparing guesstimates to declare a winner in a race where there's no real end-point and new runners are entering midway through.

But at the end of the day, sales speculations are a part of the Console Business Sport and I'm sure we'll engage in them still long past the point all sane data has been lost be us.

But at the end of the day, sales speculations are a part of the Console Business Sport and I'm sure we'll engage in them still long past the point all sane data has been lost be us.

For me, the lack of definitive information has definitely cooled my enthusiasm for these discussions. I considered the fun to be extracting the unknown from the known. Attempting to extract the unknown from the suspected just doesn't seem to have as much of a point since if those suspicions turn out to be wrong the whole line of conclusions based on them fall along with them.

I miss old NPD.

hmm.
Well I certainly agree that Scorpio is going to be marketed hard. It would be very confusing if MS didn't treat this like a chance at a new beginning for them. They started off on the wrong foot and this device is clearly made to rectify it, my expectations on the Scorpio marketing launch are pretty high because of this.

That being said, I think it's pretty to clear to everyone that XBOX isn't going to catch PS anytime soon, but a strong and good Scorpio launch will go a long way into rebuilding the brand and the brand for PC as well (thinking very long term strategy).

I know a lot of people would like to see MS claw back from this one, but this isn't some sporting event, the turn around time is very slow; it would appear that gamers are quick to punish but very slow to reward. It will be many (many years) before MS will even have an opportunity to come close to dethroning Playstation, unless PS5 is a massive screwup. 6 years to catch up would be considered fast imo.

I won't argue that MS taking the lead isn't possible. However, I see no reason to believe in it. At the same time Scorpio is selling, PS4 Basic will be dropping in price. I'm pretty sure a $400 current gen++ console won't outsell a <$200 brand leader current gen console. I also question if a $400 next-gen console is going to outsell a <$200 current-gen this early?

Sooo many unknowns, I see no point in trying to extrapolate an outcome. Absolutely nothing should be attempted in that regard until we know Scorpio's price and positioning, or some other factor regarding XB1 that could change the current sales ratio.

Back