18 XBX HALO Microsoft
19 PS2 NBA LIVE 2003 Electronic Arts
20 GBA YU-GI-OH! ETERNAL Konami
21 PS2 WWE: SHUT YOUR MOUTH THQ
22 PS2 BOND 007: NIGHTFIRE Electronic Arts
23 PS2 TIGER WOODS PGA 2003 Electronic Arts
24 GCN LORD OF RINGS: TOWERS Electronic Arts
25 GBA ZELDA: LINK TO PAST Nintendo

• Software sales revenue for the month of January grew 1% over last year, while unit sales for software grew 2.2%. New 128-bit console hardware sales were up 28% year over year, while new 128-bit console software sales were up 24%. Game Boy Advance hardware sales were up 56%. For the month of January, Electronic Arts’ The Sims on the PS2 took the overall spot with 267,000 units sold followed by Take-Two’s Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for the PS2 and Sony’s The Getaway on the PS2.

• Electronic Arts’ (ERTS, $49.98, Outperform, TP $87.50) U.S. video game sales for January were up 31% versus last year. Strength in January came from the strong debut of The Sims on the PS2, and continued catalogue sales of Madden NFL 2003, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and NBA Live 2003.

• THQ’s (THQI, $12.81, Outperform, TP $16.50) U.S. sales increased 26% year over year in January from strong sales of WWE Shut Your Mouth and Sp*ngebob: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman, and continued strong sales of its portfolio of games, including Sonic Advance on the GBA. The company announces Q4’02 results on Wednesday after the close. The dial-in number for the call is 877-316-2542. Activision’s (ATVI, $14.51, Outperform, TP $18) U.S. sales declined 22% year over year for January, with the weakness coming across all of the company’s products.

• For Take-Two’s (TTWO, $19.80, Outperform, TP $34) full January quarter, sales were up approximately 48% versus our expectation of 28% revenue growth. The strength was driven by the company’s Greatest Hits titles for the PS2 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, which has sold approximately 5 million units in the U.S. For the month of January sell through was down 56% due to the difficult comp from Grand Theft Auto III last year and, we expect, the company’s decision to hold back end of quarter shipments.

• Midway’s (MWY, $3.37, Underperform, TP $3) U.S. sales in the quarter were up 70% year over year, with strength coming from the release of Mortal Kombat. The company announces Q4’02 results on Thursday after the close. The dial-in number for the call is 212-896-6084.

• Since both Midway and THQ pre-announced Q4’02 results, the focus of this week’s earnings calls will be on forward guidance. We think given the uncertainty around each company’s product portfolios, management’s guidance will be conservative. Electronic Arts remains our top pick. For small cap investors, we believe that Take-Two represents a compelling risk/reward scenario.

I've heard that there is an error with some of these numbers and Getaway should be in front of Vice. Anyway, I can't believe GC is a million units behind :( And where's MP? o_O

how can you nto believe gamecube isn't a million units behind? You saw all the sales numbers through december, right?

more than 5 millions GTA:VC..hmmm....that means appr $250 million (1=$49), right time to jump into gaming business... :D

The lesser the quality the higher the sells ?

So far it proved true almost every time.
[As long as you're above a minimal level]

I think mechassult hasn't sold well enough to stay in the top 20. It' probably going to reach 400,000 copies sold and stay there. Similar to the res evil games... very good numbers for just about any title.

Jeez, I didn't even notice, but there was only a single GC title up there.

Do I have to explain this to you? I "didn't" notice from my last post where I "agreed" there weren't any suprises. When infact there's one surprise I just mentioned. I wouldn't have expected that.

Whatever, be happy with your "OMG, poor old GC is doing bad" threads, where you love to post (and start).

wazoo said:
Whatever, be happy with your "OMG, poor old GC is doing bad" threads, where you love to post (and start).

Well, he was right, GC is doing bad*, at least in the US in January 8)

*outsold by Ps2 5:1 and Xbox 2:1

Wazoo,

Seriously man, get a life... I'm getting extremly tired of accusations from cube crowd lately. Completely foolish accusations at that.

Wazoo: I don't mind threads that point out how badly the GameCube is doing outside of Japan.

That is, as long as the Xbox "enthusiasts" don't complain about when Nintendo "enthusiasts" post the same type of stuff.

Hypocrisy is the biggest trait of Xbox fanboys, as far as I'm concerned. Their s**t apparently doesn't stink. I can't say that the hardcore Nintendo and Sony-lovin' War Room Warriors are any different, though. Extremism is always bad, as is stupidity.

I think it's more about sour grapes than anything else. The cube crowd seem extremly on edge about anyone saying "anything" about the cube. On top of that they are looking for hidden meaning in every post. Even when you're just saying something obvious, it's still considered negative.

I own all the consoles, yet I'm the one considered a fanboi by the people that only own one, or have a hate on for the other consoles. Foggy glasses imo, foggy glasses.

Didn't you see me winking in your general direction? ;)

Most gaming forums I've been to have a War Room. Thankfully, B3D isn't bad enough to need one. It's like a refuge for me. :)

If you didn't notice, I don't post in "the" War Room anymore. I've grown sick of it! People have opinions; sometimes our opinions seem "whack-ass".. that's the way we are. I just got fed up with the rehashed topics and annoying posters.

Professor Kiosk and hopped-up-on-Chronic, among many others, made it tiresome to post 'dere. :)

Back