NPD February 2022

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Switch was #1 Hardware for units and revenue.
Xbox was #2 Hardware for units and revenue.
Xbox Elite controller looking strong.

Elden Ring doing monster numbers, sold enough in first month to rank #5 overall out of the last 12 month window of games.

FNkudYlVgAQrARb

FNkurIvVgAcGjsv

FNkuoebVEAsdiT3

The Woot xbox series s deals have been really good for boosting numbers for the series s. I was thinking they might drop the price in Oct/Nov for the holidays but perhaps it will be an E3 announcement instead. $250 seems to be a sweet spot for that system at the moment. Or perhaps they will just do random pop up sales on it to keep it seen as a good deal .

Elite 2 is worth purchasing, its one of the best controllers i've ever used

February 2022 NPD: Elden Ring is a smash hit | VentureBeat

Not going to repost the charts, but some cool things.

First off, kudos to From Software for making such a wonderful game. Also, I'm glad that such a game managed to garner so many sales.

Second, COD not in one of the top 3 spots? /gasp.

Also, great job for Horizon Forbidden West managing to grab the 2nd spot despite being limited to PlayStation consoles. Imagine what monster sales it could have had if it was multiplatform. It also set a new launch record for PS5. Interestingly, they specified PS5 and not PlayStation in genera.

“Horizon Forbidden West was the second-best-selling game of February 2022, while also ranking first on PlayStation platforms,” said Piscatella. “Dollar sales of the PlayStation 5 version of Horizon II: Forbidden West set a new launch month record for the PlayStation 5 platform.”

PC only title Total War: Warhammer III making the 8th spot is great considering it has 2 things going against it. First, it's PC only. Second, it's a strategy title. And, it's on Game Pass. Which some people would argue reduces sales, but in my opinion that likely helped it sell more copies. So, uh, yeah. That Game Pass sure is hurting sales of games. :p

“Total War: Warhammer III debuted as the No. 5 best-selling game of February 2022, while also ranking second on Steam,” said Piscatella. “The title also launched as part of the PC Game Pass and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription services.”

Also, Minecraft... :p

No GTA V, but somehow enough people lost their mind and got the GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition that it actually charted. I wonder if the release of the PS5/XBS version of GTA V will propel it back into NPD's top 20 when it comes out?

And you can tell it's not the Holiday Season anymore. "Only" 6 Nintendo titles in the top 20. :p

Xbox Elite controller looking strong.

I'm going to speculate that this is the Elden Ring effect. I think many people might have gotten a new controller just to play this game on PC. I'm using KBM, but I suspect most people are using controller. I've heard people mentioning getting an Elite 2 to play Elden Ring, but haven't seen any mentioning getting a PS5 controller to play it.

Regards,
SB

would be interesting if the series s by itself outsold the ps5 in NPD. Of course would that be both ps5 skus ?

I had my suspicions this could be the case. PS5 and XSX are just much harder to manufacture.
I just want to know if Series S has outsold Series X.

It continues to outpace the notion that no one is buying the S. By volume it's keeping Xbox Series ahead of PS5 because it continues to be available at a lower price point without scalping and gamepass.

I had my suspicions this could be the case. I just want to know if Series S has outsold Series X.

It continues to outpace the notion that no one is buying the S. By volume it's keeping Xbox Series ahead of PS5 because it continues to be available at a lower price point without scalping and gamepass.

It's interesting that its the same in the UK. I wonder if MS will catch up or pass Sony in NA and the UK this year.

But it makes sense sony has sold the most in revenue they are $400/$500 while MS is 300/500 and Nintendo is 200/300/350

Stock X has the PS5 at $744 and the Series X at $618, one of the larger spreads I've noticed in a while. Suggests to me the PS5 supply is suffering quite low supply while MS is shipping more Series recently, dampening resale demand. Forbidden West could have plussed PS5 demand as well.

Back