NPD August 2002

A variety of Wall Street analysts and firms have helped to shed some light on videogame software sales for the month of August, armed with sales data from NPD.

Electronic Arts’ Madden NFL 2003 was easily the top seller in the month, with estimated sales of over 1.1 million units, split among PlayStation 2 (930,000 units), Xbox (146,000 units) and GameCube (44,000 units).

Madden was the number one seller on two of the three next generation consoles in the month, ceding the top spot on GameCube to Super Mario Sunshine (with an estimated 350,000 units sold).

The Madden series added an additional 36,000 copies sold for the PC and 10,000 for the Game Boy Advance. Overall Madden accounted for a whopping 14 percent of total market sales in August.

Sega’s NFL 2K3 is estimated to have sold 144,303 units in the month, 77,585 for PS2, 59,414 for Xbox and 7,304 for GameCube.
Other football titles proved less than stellar compeition in the month, including Microsoft’s NFL Fever (with an estimated 50,171 copies sold), Midway’s NFL Blitz (an estimated 30,229 copies sold) and Sony Computer Entertainment’s (SCEA)NFL Gameday (an estimated 12,317 sold).

Other top selling titles in the month included: SCEA’s Socom: U.S. Navy Seals (161,217 units sold, making it number three for the month), Namco’s Dead to Rights (105,856 units sold, good enough for sixth place in the month) and Capcom’s Onimusha 2: Samurai (with 83,799 units sold, putting it in eight place for August).

http://www.gamedaily.com/

No, wait, those numbers can't be right. If they were, it would imply that in the US the GameCube is more successful with children than it is with adults. :) :) :)

Actually, the big news to me is well the non-EA football titles did on the Xbox:

PS2 Football market
EA 90%
Sega 10%

Xbox Football market
EA 57%
Sega 23%
MS 20%

Gamecube Football market
EA 85%
Sega 15%

There must be some reason for EA to do much more poorly (in terms of market share) on the Xbox than on the PS2 or GameCube.)

It's not just the existance of a third football title -- because even Sega did much better (relatively) on the Xbox than on the other platforms.

My guess is that the lack of Xbox Live! support hurt EA on Xbox.

duffer, speculation on my part, but the reason might be is a vast number of XB owners seem to of migrated from DC to XB, hence there are many Sega lovers and many EA haters.

No, wait, those numbers can't be right. If they were, it would imply that in the US the GameCube is more successful with children than it is with adults.

To someone who thinks that Mario is for children and sport is for adults that may make sense. In reality however Mario Sunshine is just as popular with adults as it is with children and sport is popular specifically with males not any particular age of males. Very young children may be less likely to buy sports games. But then very young children are also more likely to own something less complex then Mario Sunshine, its not the easiest of games for a young child, something more mindless like Crash Bandicoot is better for that purpose.

If every age group can enjoy a game equally (as in the game has something for every age group) then it is not for kids. Not that I expect this to convince you (nothing ever will apparently). Obviously to you anything you don't think is 'cool' is for kids, kind of a childish attitude IMO.

Swiss2 said:
duffer, speculation on my part, but the reason might be is a vast number of XB owners seem to of migrated from DC to XB, hence there are many Sega lovers and many EA haters.

Yes, I agree. Probobly 80-90% of the XBox's base as of now consists of hardcore gamers/PC games/other disenfranchised groups. If XBox ever reaches to the level PS2 is corrently at, it'll do so by attractive the average Joe - the person who buys what his friends have, buys what he hears is good, buys on what he's heard of - they'll buy Madden.

Man Sega releasing NFL2k3 about two weeks after the other two machines may have hurt that one. It should have been higher than 7,000 on the Cube.

I really thought SMS would have been the top seller in Aug. Guess I underestimated football season huh? I'd would have thought Dead To Rights would have moved a few more than 100,000. That game was pimped big time. Commerdcials galore. Net ads, etc. It got good reviews did'nt it?

After looking at the sales I could see why EA would just stay on the PS2 only. but it's a testament to them for sticking with the other systems..PC included.

On the other hand, SMS was only out 6 days in Aug so that's not bad. Sept will be up there with Kingdom Hearts and Starfox.

**SEGA (JP:7964) DOWN, MORGAN SAYS NFL GAME OFF TO BAD START**

Videogame publisher Sega Corp down 6.84 percent or 180 yen at 2,450 yen after Morgan Stanley cut its target price on the stock to 3,800 yen from 4,500 yen due to a disappointing start for sales of the "Sega Sports NFL 2K3" American football simulation game.

"August sales for the game only came in at about 150,000 units. Considering the company initially shipped over one million copies, we would have hoped for at least 400,000 or 500,000 sold," said Morgan Stanley analyst Shunji Yamanishi.

In contrast, Yamanishi said Sega competitor Electronic Arts Inc (ERTS) had sold more than one million copies of its "Madden NFL 2003" game, well outpacing Sega's performance.

thats too bad for Sega :(

Sure, it's too bad. Maybe if they'd put out some better product, they wouldn't meet with such disappointment.

I rented NFL2K3 for Xbox and man - "disappointed" wasn't the word for how I felt about that game.

Everything about it seemed sub-par to me - the graphics, the menus, the gameplay - even the much-balleyhooed commentary.

Sega has a LONG way to go if they want to catch up with EA. But in my opinion, they could start by reworking the basics.

Kolgar

I think the comentary and graphics are excellent, I think it has the best graphics of all the football games, although I am basing that on commercials and NCAA (on X-Box) and I also think 2k has the best controls. Although there are two types of people in the world, 2K people and Madden people.

Ok, Madden is a pretty drab football game that has played the same for years. The control scheme is a tried and true system that works well. It clearly could use refinement, but it's not that bad. It isn't as good as the 2k series though, and that's pretty obvious especially when considering the playability and overall fun of each game.

We'll see how the basketball games fare. If Live sells dramatically better than Nba2k3, then there is something wrong with the industry in not wanting to play the best game from that particular sports lineup.

SEGA has its work cut out for it, maybe a marketing blitz could get the job done.

Back