Now that games support Ageia PhysX, will some options be exclusive to the chip?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Farid, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Look at those two footages:
    http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html

And, am I the only one who imagine that some physic options will be exclusive to the Ageia chip only?
    Not because of the fact that only the chip could do it, but just because of some marketing tie-in contract.

I mean if they can accelerate things, for people who want teh product, I say, why not.
    But if we start seeing "This Option is Only Available with Ageia© PhysX™" in the performance options of some games...

Note that, this is just pure speculation.

2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

To be honest I hope we see as many games as possible with "PPU only" level physics. I think we need that to get this tech off the ground and given how promising it is, I really want it to get off the ground!

Plus its my opinion/belief/expectation that the PPU is the most capable physics solution out there and so will be the only solution capable of certain levels of effects.

**Prays thats Crysis supports the PPU**

3. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

I guess that will happen. I think i've read that GRAW already has additional special effects if a ageia card is available.

4. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I guess you didn't click the link :wink:

5. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

I did now :smile:

6. Baraclese

Newcomer

Finally you got me interested in the physics processor so I was looking for information other than all the pr talk on their website. The best resource seems to be the release notes for the ageia sdk which talks about what kind of limitation actually exist. http://www.ageia.com/products/release_notes.html

7. booomups

Newcomer

impressiv..... worth the cost of an extra card.......

but how powerfull does the whole system have to be to calculate the rest thats going on.................?

8. pegisys

Regular

are they opening up the specs of the card to companies like havok, so they could use it as well

I can't see myself paying that much for something I can't use for all games

9. Dersaidin

Newcomer

If they do start doing that, I'd guess that nvidia and ATI would bring out drivers for their GPU's to do the same physics, so you could run those games on a pair of ATI cards.

Have a X1900 for the video, and get a X1600 or something for the physics, or another card in Xfire if the game doesnt support it :D