Now Ive finaly got a Legacy machine...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Davros, Feb 26, 2007.

1. chroniceyestrain

Newcomer

2. GMâ„¢

Newcomer

Nice work on the legacy machine, especially with the voodoo3!

Any chance you could get one of the Eurofighter games running and post some screenies for me, also how about some classic scene demos?

3. Davros

Legend

afraid not ef2000 does not use glide or any drivers at all
    it talks directly to the video card and therefore will only work with a v1 or v2

4. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I actually prefer UT in glide mode, more consistent, stable/fast and the detail textures are very nice as well.
    what I can suggest : DOS games, lots of DOS games! this I why I miss windows 98 so much. the original Xwing (or CDROM version which adds campaigns and gouraud shadin), Tie Fighter, Dune 1, already mentioned : duke3D and doom 1/2 (I miss launching wads with the command line, and they had no bug unlike certain ports), and many more.
    This is why I hated NT 5.x .

5. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

DOSBOX is quite capable of running all of those games. CPUs are becoming fast enough to emulate even the ones with the most evil self-modifying code.

And, with DOSBOX, you can use soundfonts (if you have a Creative sound card) and USB joysticks. There's also the pixel shader-based screen scalers. And the MT-32 emulator.

6. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

duke3D is unplayable on DOSbox, as DOS quake and others, and in general it's a bit more of a pain. lack of DOS commands, non-QWERTY keyboard support, the other window in the background etc.
    pure DOS and win9x just worked. yes there's the config.sys and autoexec crap but I'm such a guy I won't forget how to make them till my death :razz:.

about creative labs DOS driver (for audigy 1 and lower, though), they have MT32 to general midi translation and seem to have soundbanks support too (but I only had the default one). You can also use a gameport joystick. the annoying omission is lack of adlib and OPL3 support (both under pure DOS and win9x), I hated that!
    on that legacy PC there's the option of adding an ISA soundcard, though (lol I'd like to hold a SB AWE32 in my hands)

7. KimB

Legend

Perhaps, but there's an OpenGL port of Duke Nukem 3D these days :)

8. Davros

Legend

i do have a awe 64 in the cupboard ;)

9. Gollum

Veteran

I've been holding back on playing FS1&2 for years now, no idea why. Anyway, this discussion finally made me install and play it. I'm just getting my feet wet in FS1 (FSPort) and I'm really liking it so far. Its not as good as WC in throwing you into an environment you can feel like being a part off (walk around ship, talk with other pilots etc.) and story presentations is a bit lacking. But the missions are good, the (FSopen enhanced) graphics surprisingly pleasing and the combat is plain fun (which is the most important part to this kinda game I guess). Such a shame this genre is dead, I want more games like these again!

[Rant Mode On]

The sole hope for space sims out there these days are fan-projects, MODs, TCs and OpenSource games. The quality of some of these hobbyist productions is surprisingly high though. B5:IFH (indy game from scratch), Vegastrike (open source), Privateer Remake (Vegastrike based), WC Saga (FS2open based) and The Babylon Project (FS2open based) are just a few I've played over the past 5 or more years. The only commercial game worth remembering in that timeframe is Darkstar One (only played the demo so far, gotta grab the full game one of these days). X2 & X3 are unfortunatelly way too complex to be enjoyable IMO. Is there even anything else? :(

[Rant Mode Off]

So thanks again for the nudge in the right direction! ;)

10. Davros

Legend

well you did miss out tachyon.....
    oh and the wing commander prologue (fs2 open based)

ps: play freespace with a force-feedback joystick...

edit: forgot ws prolog is ws saga

#30 Davros, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007
  11. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Freelancer is nice and good-looking, it's for the most part a Privateer clone, but it's much too user-friendly. On rails. Which is what you don't want from such a game. If you do, you better play something mission based, like FreeSpace open (I just installed it, see if it works tonight).

And I really want newtonian graphics and targeting computers, like I-War. Otherwise, I'll rather play Privateer remake or a flight simulator, thank you very much.

I completely agree, Gollum. And DarkStar one is nice, but gets boring pretty fast. Everything, like missions, is recycled. Space rangers (2) is much more enjoyable, and only offers an isometric view.

On another track: where are all the really enjoyable team combat games like Syndicate, JA 2 and Fallout: Tactics? Died as well? The only one worth noticing from the last years is Silent Storm.

And don't get me started about the first person shooters. I consider it great if you simply have an inventory that holds more than weapons, and can take other actions than pulling the trigger.

12. Davros

Legend

Actually ive been caught up playing
    Severence - Blade of Darkness
    and it rocks....
    Damm fine shadows too for a game of its age
    [​IMG]

13. Gollum

Veteran

I forgot about Freelancer. It was fun for a while, but very linear. I rather liked the mouse controlled flight interface. I never really got into I-War. Great graphics, but something about the gameplay stopped me from enjoying it.

Yeah, Space Rangers was a neat little game. A shame that the auto-scaling economy, technology and difficulty lead to balancing problems as you progress further. A bit like Oblivion in that reagard, really...

Apparently they're working on a REAL X-Com/UFO sequel...

I haven't really played a FPS recently. Nothing worthwhile came out in a while IIRC. Gears of War being a noteworthy exception, but that's 360 and a "SPS". ;)

14. xatnys

Regular

Let's see some Ultim@te Race Pro :)

15. Davros

Legend

well since i like you
    Dusk
    [​IMG]

Night
    [​IMG]

16. deviantchild

Regular

Hi Davros [again!]
    I already had the bleeder installed on this machine. Although I also did some pics recently on a PCX2 + Voodoo2 setup, but lost them when I changed ISPs.
    [​IMG]

#36 deviantchild, Mar 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  17. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    The battle mode was the best feature but I don't know if that was included in the commercial release.

18. Davros

Legend

I cant get multiplayer to work as it only supports serial connection or null modem or ipx

ps: it works under xp with a glide wrapper
    although i get this error message (i dont have a pvr card + that dll file doesnt exist on my pc)
    [​IMG]

#38 Davros, Mar 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  19. deviantchild

Regular

For my PCX + Voodoo system I had the 3DCC switcher from VideoLogic (PowerVR/ImgTec/PURE) that sat in the systray and worked a treat. It can still be found HERE.

20. Davros

Legend

why do you need a switcher ive never needed one
    eg: riva 128zx + v2