Nook Tablet

Very interesting. I might cancel my Kindle Fire preorder for this. I like everything about my Nook color except the speed. This takes care of that. 16GB + SD card plus 1GB ram, that's easily worth the $50 over the Fire.

I think I'll stick with my NC. But I am eyeing the Archos 80 G9. I love that 4:3 ratio. But the first run has problems with its shell that affect the screen.

I just bought mine in September primarily as an e-reader.
Android on it has been a major plus as I have installed many productivity apps that have become ultra useful.

If offered at the same price as I bought mine new, I wish there was an upgrade program to where I can get the new device returning the old device with a small update fee.

If not, I'm still happy with it as I see this as a bridge device until I get fully functional Windows 8 or Android tablet in the future.

I will stay tuned to this thread...just in case.

Edit: That Archos 80 G9 looks very tempting. I really like the large flash drive and the ability to stream vids on your home network. The app I use, UPNP Play, does the job although it's interface could be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good, this further helps dispel the belief that nVidia is dominating the Android tablet scene.

It's not a belief but rather a fact that nVidia completely dominated the Android tablets from the Honeycomb generation...

ICS could be a whole other story, but with the first Kal-El device being released in a couple of days, I wonder how many design-wins OMAP4 will actually get in tablets.

Kal El seems oddly designed to me. A quad core of A9s is not that exciting when we really could use A15 and its single thread performance. They also have the memory bandwidth essentially the same as Tegra2 but this is a quad core.

It's not a belief but rather a fact that nVidia completely dominated the Android tablets from the Honeycomb generation...

ICS could be a whole other story, but with the first Kal-El device being released in a couple of days, I wonder how many design-wins OMAP4 will actually get in tablets.

http://www.fudzilla.com/notebooks/item/24714-motorola-offically-rolls-out-xoom-2-tablets

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&D=Motorola+MZ617+%28Xoom+2%29&testgroup=system

Other than that so far the two Archos G9 tablets are OMAP4, as well as the Amazon Kindle Fire.

That's 4 already including the Nook. OMAP4 by the way also includes the upcoming 4470.

As for design wins for early 2012 how about that candidate?: http://www.fudzilla.com/mobiles/item/24726-qualcomm-s4-8960-28nm-17ghz-chip-sampled

Actually I really wish Intel or AMD could put out a real low power x86 SoC. I'd love to have access to Windows apps and games.

There will be windows based embedded devices from multiple sides, NVIDIA included.

In hindsight there's always something like that: http://www.fudzilla.com/notebooks/item/24710-hp-will-release-a-slate-2 for the immediate future. But I'll rather wait for the win8 wave of devices.

I don't know if nVidia's success in the Android space thus far really even matters an awful lot compared to iPad/2.

Design win count doesn't matter. Aggregate volume matters. All of those relatively low volume Tegra 2 tablets don't add up to much. What'll actually sell in this space, if you aren't Apple, is cheap. Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet are going to bury their twice as expensive non-Apple competitors, and TI has that win. Two tablets is all it really takes. If that's not good enough, there's also Archos. And on the cheap front all of those Chinese tablets.

And I don't see Kal-El changing this unless it too gets in a cheaper tablet, which I really doubt will happen.

What really comes to mind is Palliot's old belief that nVidia will retain 50% tablet share which just seems laughable in the current climate. I mean, even more laughable than it looked back then.

Kal El seems oddly designed to me. A quad core of A9s is not that exciting when we really could use A15 and its single thread performance. They also have the memory bandwidth essentially the same as Tegra2 but this is a quad core.

Well.. A15 isn't ready for production AFAIK, and whatever matters for performance in Android tablets (snappy web browsing, video playback, augmented reality stuff) seems to scale well enough with multi-cores.

http://www.fudzilla.com/notebooks/item/24714-motorola-offically-rolls-out-xoom-2-tablets

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&D=Motorola+MZ617+%28Xoom+2%29&testgroup=system

Other than that so far the two Archos G9 tablets are OMAP4, as well as the Amazon Kindle Fire.

That's 4 already including the Nook. OMAP4 by the way also includes the upcoming 4470.

Yes, it seems that so far, the OMAP4 has been the platform of choice for the ICS tablet generation (not a surprise, since it's the chip in Galaxy Nexus), but the release of these tablets are awfully close to the debut of Tegra 3 tablets, which should provide a clear boost to performance.
I'm just saying it's too soon to declare a victor for the SoC of choice for ICS tablets.

Isn't that quite a bit further away than OMAP4470 and Tegra 3?

Well he singled out the Android Honeycomb part of the tablet market. In that regard he didn't phrase it wrong at all. But yes it's true that it's fairly meaningless in the grander scheme of things.

The claim was actually 50% of all ARM based tablets, and it didn't originate with Palliot but with this article:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20101213PD226.html

Palliot was of course an outspoken supporter of this prediction.

"The sources also forecast that Tegra 2-based models will have chance to account for 50% of ARM-based tablet PC shipments in 2011. "

True, I made my comment regarding Android tablets and not tablets in general. But I think the "Honeycomb" qualifier is the important part of this - what's really pushing Android today on tablets is customized environments with custom app stores on cheap hardware.

I don't know if nVidia's success in the Android space thus far really even matters an awful lot compared to iPad/2.

Design win count doesn't matter. Aggregate volume matters. All of those relatively low volume Tegra 2 tablets don't add up to much.
Agreed. As a data point, Asus was shipping 400k tablets a month earlier this year (link). Apple is certainly much higher, but I don't think any OMAP4 tablet has reached that level since Asus was second to Apple.

Agreed. As a data point, Asus was shipping 400k tablets a month earlier this year (link). Apple is certainly much higher, but I don't think any OMAP4 tablet has reached that level since Asus was second to Apple.

I thought pre-orders for the Kindle Fire reached millions.

Well.. A15 isn't ready for production AFAIK, and whatever matters for performance in Android tablets (snappy web browsing, video playback, augmented reality stuff) seems to scale well enough with multi-cores.
Video runs on a DSP and web browsing is almost entirely about a single core AFAIK. Actually that's why I want an A15 - web browsing! The overly fancy web pages of modern times beat up the A8 and A9 and this isn't even considering Flash.

I'm not sure what a quad core is going to be useful for. Phone/tablet multitasking doesn't really happen in practice for me. Apps get auto-killed by Android or use little CPU time while in the background anyway. People all over the web seem to be automatically thrilled by the thought of a quad though so it's good advertising I guess.

Yes, because Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet aren't actually out yet. But going by preorder fervor, well:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-a...re-Sales-Tracking-to-Hit-5M-JP-Morgan-439304/

Maybe my comment was poorly worded, I meant to say that nVidia won't be dominating Android tablets if/when they take a large market share away from Apple. Dominating a relatively tiny slice that has existed so far isn't that exciting.

I'm sure Kal-El will be a benchmarking sweetheart but I doubt it'll really be so night and day in normal usage. Quad-core isn't even a de facto standard in desktops yet. And a lot more multitasking tends to be done there.

And even programs that do benefit going from single core to dual core won't all benefit as much going to quad core. A lot of them won't benefit at all.

I see that as more of a gain from going to an A9 compared to an A8.

Would not surprise me at all for the Javascript stuff, I have little confidence in the ARM JIT's ability to schedule code well for Cortex-A8. Then there's the scalar floating point aspect.

Back