Non-Gimped, Full Powered Console Thread -- Open Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

babcat

Regular
Hello Everyone,

This thread is for discussion about potential consoles, future consoles, and even hypothetical consoles that could be full powered -- they would use powerful GPUs and other components. Basically, this thread is not to discuss how weak we can make a console and get it to sell, but our thoughts and ideas for powerful consoles.

For example, I really think there is room in the marketplace for a company to make a powerful console that utilizes a full GPU (for example a GPU as powerful as a GTX 680), a powerful CPU, lots of RAM, and even more than 200 watts of electricity. In my opinion, there are a lot of people who would like to purchase a console that would be truly "future proof" for at least a while.

To accomplish this, such a console maker would need to...

1) Provide a high tech cooling solution.
2) Create a larger console case.
3) Use components resistant to heat to reduce failures.
4) Market the console as being superior to other consoles with gimped GPUs, weak CPUs, lower amounts of RAM, etc.

I am making this thread because I am getting the idea that it's possible the PS4 and next X-Box may not even utilize a discrete GPU in addition to the one in their APU. This is a disappointment to me. I really think there should be a place somewhere on this forum where this idea can be discussed.

I really think there is room in the marketplace for a company to make a powerful console that utilizes a full GPU (for example a GPU as powerful as a GTX 680), a powerful CPU, lots of RAM, and even more than 200 watts of electricity. In my opinion, there are a lot of people who would like to purchase a console that would be truly "future proof" for at least a while.
We already have those, we call them "PCs". :yep2:

So define a PC spec and call it "closed". There's nothing magical about a closed platform. The disinterest from game developers in targeting such a thing is because of total available market of such expensive components, not because they couldn't happily write a specific path for any given configuration.

The whole cost model of consoles only works if they are cheap enough to gain a wide market, otherwise the effort to target them is not worth it for developers.

Oh, I think I have just the thing for this ... online video streaming systems like Gaikai or OnLive. Behold the power of cloud gaming. They can just add more nodes to increase the specs. Perfect future proof system.

So basically you want a console that costs between 1500-2500 USD?

You'd have a hard time convincing a consumer to buy a 600 USD console (wouldn't even pay for a high end GPU [GTX 680 or 7970] and CPU [Core i7]) much less something that costs over 1000 USD.

Regards,
SB

In terms of physical design, I half-seriously considered the possibility of taking a high-end SLI rig and finding a way to sneak the componentry into the casing of a radiant space heater, and then using the radiative parts as the cooling system.
Temperature modulation would come by running Prime95 and Furmark to varying degrees during non-gaming periods. It may require some kind of sub-ambient cooler in order to keep the radiator part hot and the chips cool.

The lack of a market aside, pushing for power output significantly above the first gen 360 or PS3 is basically admitting the device does not want to be a good neighbor to the rest of the appliances tucked away inside someone's entertainment center.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unobtanium is the perfect tag for this thread... Both SNK and 3DO are bankrupt companies (both appropriately sharing three-letter/number names.)

Unfortunately we're stuck in a constant recession economy rut, and have basically been that since years now, while tablets and smartphones are eating everybody elses' lunch. I think sony and MS (and also nintendo of course) are secretly scared to death that ios and android devices are going to own them; hoping for very high power consoles in such a climate is going to be a very iffy proposition.

To attract the big devs to take advantage of your closed system box, you need a lot of people to buy the box. A lot of people will not buy a $1500+ gaming box.

The only way I can see a console like the one in the OP describes, is if a company Intel decides to build and manufacture their own console (i.e. entire system, CPU & GPU).

On the other hand, with so much talk of MS and "secret sauce", maybe the hopes and dreams of internet fanboys might be able to fuel the ressurection of Rumpelstiltskin, in the deep dark bowels of MS' dungeons, wherein he might be indentured into a lifetime of servitude to Steve Balmer, spinning straw into gold ;-)

This thread is for discussion about potential consoles, future consoles, and even hypothetical consoles that could be full powered -- they would use powerful GPUs and other components. Basically, this thread is not to discuss how weak we can make a console and get it to sell, but our thoughts and ideas for powerful consoles.
Your question is flawed as the responses show. If you don't set any design limits like price, the answer to the question is effectively, 'throw in as much of the most powerful hardware you can find.'

For a 2013 console, that'd be whatever PC rig Almighty would be eyeing. i7's, vapour cooling, dual-monster GPUs minimum, etc.

If you want to discuss an alternative, viable business proposition to the current rumoured consoles, you need to establish the operating criteria with a business case. 'Design a high-powered console for this budget released at this price to target the hardcore and mainstream traditional console gamer.'

Your question is flawed as the responses show. If you don't set any design limits like price, the answer to the question is effectively, 'throw in as much of the most powerful hardware you can find.'

For a 2013 console, that'd be whatever PC rig Almighty would be eyeing. i7's, vapour cooling, dual-monster GPUs minimum, etc.

If you want to discuss an alternative, viable business proposition to the current rumoured consoles, you need to establish the operating criteria with a business case. 'Design a high-powered console for this budget released at this price to target the hardcore and mainstream traditional console gamer.'

Why not an entire server room :LOL:

There's a 5th requirement for making such a console, high price tag. It'll most certainly fall around $1000 range and no one want's to pay as much for a console.

I think what OP is after is not simply a closed platform but what if you had no power/budget constraints, what kind of custom architecture would you come up with. You probably wouldn't just get high-end cpus and gpus and loads of ram (but you would use them), and connect it all in the same way they're connected in a PC. And there would probably be some more custom hardware for specific functions. What would you knowledgeable hardware guys do? :)

But if you go with esoteric designs, you'll just piss off the developers. If it were me, with unlimited budget and options, I'd almost certainly get a high end PC and sell that. The devs would rejoice at a very straight-forward architecture that they can max out. The only time I'd get into fidgety, esoteric designs is to hit a performance/price target.

"Can we afford 6 GBs of 300 GB/s GDDR5? No? Well what hacks and cheats can we use to get similar performance from cheaper hardware, managed only by clever software and sleepless nights for developers with splitting headaches."

Well,lets assume a console like the 360 that costs 600 $ to produce and is beein sold for 499 $. Another thing: A bigger case is not excluded to make the cooling of components easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back