Nokia's Present & Future

Discussion in 'Mobile Industry' started by Arun, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

2. hoho

Veteran

Our local biggest cellphone seller/service provider seems to be having clearance sale for N9's for "only" €500 for the 64G model (was €750 before). Rumors say lumia 900 should arrive in around a month or two. Currently they don't sell any WP phones here officially.

3. french toast

Veteran

Priced NOT to sell...and still they out sell:lol:

4. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I got the 64 GB N9 for $489. Since it can push DLNA it might make for some fun with the extra storage.

Edit: now I just need to trim down the SIM from my Pre 3 and then make an adapter to go back and forth between my two orphans.

#864 Mize, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  5. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran

6. Lazy8s

Veteran

A phone's SIM card reader can be finicky. You may need a file to shave the corners down to the level of precision needed on the micro-SIM and on the tray when converting back.

7. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

My plan is to us a good razor knife to remove the center and then use the remaining frame as the adapter for the full-size. If that doesn't work I have a bunch of old SIMs I could cut out for an adapter...or I could just buy one I suppose...

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yes, the same blog using questionable assumptions to make a pre-determined point. Rather than starting with the numbers and just seeing where they lead.

I especially loved...

Yes all the analysts are wrong and you are right. :p

While it could be, I'm not putting much faith in the numbers he generated with so many assumptions to manipulate what few numbers are available. I think there's actually more assumptions in there than there are actually real numbers.

Regards,
    SB

9. babybumb

Regular

You think Elop was brought in to continue on Symbian Meego? They had an insider for that job not Elop but choose otherwise

Symbian was a house of cards that dominated 46% of the market in 2009 just because competition was pathetic until that point. Apple was just starting to dominate the high end and app development but then came Google. Apple/Google vs Nokia in software expertise is hardly a fair contest. In 2010 Symbian dropped to 29% and total collapse was so obvious to everyone as soon as Android gained momentum. Nokia was too late to market with anything comparable in Symbian OS experience let alone ecosystem around it. It was only a matter of time before Android reached the low-end Symbian price points and even lower.

There was nothing to be done because the old Nokia was for years wasting valuable time protecting the Symbian illusion marketshare by not letting Maemo eat it. The idiotic deal with Intel was the final nail in the coffin and deluded the project

N9 was released in Beta form in fall of 2011 running Harmattan. Ready to go in 2010 as Meego? Must be another Tomi Ahonen delusion

Launch window shipments are not very useful to gauge anything. Tomi likes to use drive his agenda with this kind of not so useful datapoints. If you truly think Symbian^3 had a chance vs Android beyond launch.. wow. Elop was maybe too honest about the product but it didnt have any effect on sales unless you think consumers are sheep who cant see for themself

When you lose tens of percents of market share per year when the industry is growing very fast it means you will start droping very soon in unit sales also.

#869 babybumb, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
  10. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

How does one start with numbers that Nokia won't release again? I must have missed that part.

11. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Incidentally, got the N9 yesterday and it's quite nice. I still prefer the webOS interface (swipe to delete emails, universal search, etc.), but other than a shortage of apps, it's quite polished.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

More good news for Windows Phone.

Apparently Verizon (largest cell phone carrier in the US) is starting to make some noises about wanting to push Windows Phone as hard as they pushed Android devices.

I'm going to guess that the success of the Nokia Lumia 900 in the US (note - not the rest of the world :p) is playing a large part in their decision.

Now, will Nokia be able to get in on that or is Verizon going to try to get one of it's current partners to make a premium Windows Phone device? It does make me wonder if part of AT&T agreeing to push the Nokia Lumia 900 is for it to be exclusive to their network for X amount of time.

Regards,
    SB

13. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

Florin already posted that couple days ago, but yeah good news for WP. Lumia 900 isn't available outside of North-America yet.

14. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Here's hoping VZW gives a bit better endorsement...
    [​IMG]

15. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Lumia 900 sold 1/2 what the 4S did in their respective first weeks and VZW has only one WP product today that isn't Nokia (it's HTC). Oh and MS just announced WP8 won't support Active Directory on tablets...

16. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

It's been said that Windows RT won't support Active Directory, not Windows Phone 8.

Of course, we're still wondering how far exactly will Windows Phone 8 be from Windows RT. It could be the exact same thing but with the addition of phone call funcionality.
    Paul Thurrott claims he has a reliable source pointing to the fact that current WP7 handsets will never, ever be upgradeable to WP8, mainly because WP8 is actually Windows RT on a phone:

As for the rest, I find it hilarious how some people keep regarding Tomi Ahonen as if he was just another armchair expert. As if this millionaire who happens to be the world's most influent consultant for mobile/wireless, fathered many of the 3G business models and authored a dozen of books about mobile, was limited to the same googlable info as most people in this forum have.
    As if he'd need to have an agenda...

17. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

My bad. I meant W8 not WP8 and I should have pointed out it wasn't the Intel flavor.

18. babybumb

Regular

Ahonen clearly does not understand software platforms and ecosystem importance. He claimed Nokia had much better ecosystem than Apple with Symbian QT in 2011 even when it was clear Apple was dominating and Nokia had no developer mindshare. All the innovation was happening on other platforms. Bizarro world.

All he takes in to account are hardware features.. software experience is non-factor. iPhone 2G had nothing on N95 right? No need to worry. Basically Tomi is a prime example of the old Nokia management that doomed the company. Except he actually was there...

#878 babybumb, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  19. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

As opposed to the new Nokia management that doomed the company too ;)

20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Sure, but considering the Lumia 900 was sold out before it even went on sale, that just speaks to the manufacturing ability that each company had with regards to those two devices. Of course, even had Nokia been able to supply enough Lumia 900's to AT&T, I don't think it would have sold as well as the 4s, although it would have been much closer.

As to Verizon, there's always a possibility that they could push Samsung to make another foray into Windows Phone with a premium device. Although I'm not sure Verizon is ready to invest that much into it yet.

Regards,
    SB