Nokia N95 + other graphics related stuff

jkemp

Newcomer
Happy to let you know that Nokia N95 just got announced. Expected 3D graphics performance slightly above N93 ;)
n95_1_b.jpg
n95_2_b.jpg

Some other cool stuff:
  • Nokia and EA to co-operate, in case you missed the press release
  • S60 Python with OpenGL ES bindings soon here, follow this site for info
  • SDL for S60 will soon feature OpenGL ES, I will inform you once available
  • My low level graphics team within Nokia is now hiring, send me personal message if interested in relocating to Finland and working with some of the coolest technologies around..

awesome - when are these expected to hit the streets?
When it's done. :rolleyes: Seriously, I don't know what was announced about release date..

Perfect device for Augmented Reality use cases btw.. Correct form factor, fast CPU, fast GPU, good camera, good display, integrated GPS, WI-FI, TV-out etc..

The first-quarter 2007 release is a long time to wait while wondering whether the N95's expected improvement in 3D from the N93 is the kind of difference that more RAM alone might provide, or not.

The first-quarter 2007 release is a long time to wait while wondering whether the N95's expected improvement in 3D from the N93 is the kind of difference that more RAM alone might provide, or not.

Same hardware as in N93, improvements through driver and OS optimizations.

You can breath now :)

It's a very nice phone. It's definitely my favourite right now.

It's relatively compact, has a nice form factor and a big clear and bright display. 5 mpix camera is a nice addition too. A very classy device indeed.

OOoohh.. That's a majorly drool-worthy device! I'd love to replace my 6630 with that!

Any technical spec (CPU model/speed, 3D chip etc) available?

I wonder if you could make games that were playable in landscape mode, looks like you could use those media buttons on the left for actions etc. and control with the directional pad on the right...

any news on the type of games we'll see for the phone, are the N93/95 the first of the Nokia N gage gaming platform series for Mobiles?

With the tens of millions of phones per year that Nokia is enabling for gaming, the major game publishers will not likely hesitate to supply their familiar franchises to the next generation platform like EA is already planning with their range of sports and traditional titles. While Square Enix hasn't announced support yet, they are a very enthusiastic supporter of mobile games already and are looking to deliver their Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests to as wide an audience as practical.

The confirmed game list for the next generation platform at this point, though, still stands at the titles announced originally, including System Rush: Evolution, ONE -- Who's Next?, and the Tin Star demo game.

How many of those flying enemies could the system simultaneously display in the demo before slowdown? The climax of the video showed what looked like at least twenty-five. How complex was each model approximately, and did the demo LOD them, especially at the end?

Does anyone know if the N95 will have hardware accelerated vector graphics?

Also, why does the device, which looks absolutely terrific, use only a QVGA screen, according to the published specs I've seen, when the N80 has almost HVGA resolution.

I think that discussion was about the N93; I'm wondering whether the fast animations I see on the N95 demo videos are due to hardware accelerated graphics or simply from having a fast ARM11 application processor in the N95...

That user interface is running on top of opengl es an is therefore hw accelerated.

any news on the type of games we'll see for the phone, are the N93/95 the first of the Nokia N gage gaming platform series for Mobiles?

We have been showing some beta versions of upcoming games at various events like E3, but we have not yet announced which devices will be supported. One graphics accelerated N93 game comes as a bundle on each device, and it looks pretty awesome. There is a video on the net of another upcoming game that is also accelerated (click 'Trailer'):
http://pandora.luxus.fi/e3blog/e3_06/games/games/one_next.aspx

... real time stuff on N93, not just a video :cool:
(frame rate is better on device than in the video :rolleyes: )

Back