No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

I dunno ... The hammer, the cube, the suit-less timetravel, the seeing into the distance (how can you see much faster than light?), the hulk ... Etc

And a mile long snake is not made up physics! Lava people is totes made up. :yep2:
:oops: You quote Star Trek as a valid reference point, and then diss my lava people?! Did you not see the original series silicon based lifeform? "I'm a doctor, Jim, not a brick layer!"?? I consider lava people and space-moths perfectly acceptable in a space-game universe. I'd even consider them essential, or at least possible for the devs to include, to add variety and interest. Quite where the line is drawn is, I think, a gut instinct. Sci-fi rarely steps over the line with its made-up science.

Whether we call TV sci-fi 'made-up' or 'bending the rules' is neither here nor there. I think that's the target. Lots of life-bearing planets and totally unrealistic lifeforms and technologies coupled with gorgeous visuals, and an uncanny number of species that are bipedal and speak English only clearly alien because they have different coloured skin and lumpy faces. Thankfully a computer game can advanced drastically on that trope!

If it doesn't have elastic spoon men I am boycotting this game.

Most of our last few posts have revolved around semantics. To bring us back to reality, I'm probs late to the game but I only just saw this, and apart from I LOVE HIM - he just needs a wash - now more than ever I believe that this kind of sci-fi will not be the completely out of reality sci-fi.

Sorry. No elastic spoon men! :LOL:

Yeah, that planet's wildlife aren't all that different to ours.

Here's the trailer with the big snakes, around the 1:30 Mark:

No Man's Sky Gameplay Reveal Trailer: http://youtu.be/RNVgVl6v6YU

I hope the animals differ a little more than what we've seen so far.

I don't understand what all the hype is about. I can't see how this won't get old quick.

Would be nice to see what type of interactions this game offers.

I don't understand what all the hype is about.
It's new and next-gen-y, I guess. Antyihg stand-out tends to get prerelease attention. I recall a number of EG previews of interesting looking games that reviewed badly.

Not saying anything against No Man's Sky. Just that a somewhat original title, taking an old idea to the nth degree, is likely to garner more media interest than a copy-cat game reproducing the same-old-same-old. As a journalist, would you rather tour studios looking at new, novel games, or the same old FPS with different skins? ;)

That interview and video have largely alleviated many of my doubts about the game.

So there is a purpose to the game (which is optional), you do get to interact with other players (probably the closer you get to the centre of the universe where player's paths begin to converge) and it's more than just random (sorry, procedurally) generated worlds full of creatures, there are worlds with civilisations and authorities. And you can upgrade your ship and suit.

Now I'm just curious to what extent, if any, you can change the universe. I.e, is there scope to settle on a suitable planet and build a base from which to explore or develop a planet more, or is the intention for players to be eternally travelling nomads.

I don't understand what all the hype is about. I can't see how this won't get old quick.

Would be nice to see what type of interactions this game offers.

There are many, many planets. Each planet has its own geology, animals, plants, gravity, etc. You have a spaceship and you can visit each one of those planets. Not "visit" like docking somewhere in the planet and not seeing anything else (X series) but actually flying through the surface, landing wherever you want and explore everything.
Furthermore, it's a space simulator.

The feeling of exploration shouldn't me much different than Skyrim's, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
That interview and video have largely alleviated many of my doubts about the game.

So there is a purpose to the game (which is optional), you do get to interact with other players (probably the closer you get to the centre of the universe where player's paths begin to converge) and it's more than just random (sorry, procedurally) generated worlds full of creatures, there are worlds with civilisations and authorities. And you can upgrade your ship and suit.

Now I'm just curious to what extent, if any, you can change the universe. I.e, is there scope to settle on a suitable planet and build a base from which to explore or develop a planet more, or is the intention for players to be eternally travelling nomads.

Also, every player will be dropped on a brand new planet, with broken starship beside them. With the procedurally generated planet and wildlife, some will need to play a long time [several hours] to gather resources to fix their ship.

Also, every player will be dropped on a brand new planet, with broken starship beside them. With the procedurally generated planet and wildlife, some will need to play a long time [several hours] to gather resources to fix their ship.
Yup, this kind of thing really appeals to my inner builder and my inner explorer. I just wish they'd tell us when they hope to release it!

That's interesting, nice tutorial.

I imagine the thing at the centre of the galaxy is a black hole.

That'd be interesting. But what would it do, drop you into another universe with a different procedural seed?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A new galaxy or something, but I'm not sure how good that'd be if it's still based off the same properties as the one you start in.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A new galaxy or something, but I'm not sure how good that'd be if it's still based off the same properties as the one you start in.
If you've ever played around with Minecraft, you'll recall a slighty variance in seed, e.g. 2712878623 vs 2712878624 can result in vastly different worlds. Summer becomes winter mountains become flatlands :yes:

i wonder if there will be clan that focused in trolling the universe. Go to the center ASAP, blow up all nearby planet from center. have their fleet standby near the center, kill everyone that coming.

at least thats what i get when playing Freelancer many years ago, its just crazy with the player keep killing noobs. Its also become problem with the resouce/economic because those clan with many member basically become a monopoly. So its best to do trade route following them, dont challage them..

but with how big no man's sky's universe, it seems it will need massive amount of players to troll lol

i wonder if there will be clan that focused in trolling the universe. Go to the center ASAP, blow up all nearby planet from center. have their fleet standby near the center, kill everyone that coming.

Even if the game permits negative interactions, it can be controlled by having a PvP flag to disable player vs player, or just simply have a 'no trolling' policy.

I imagine it'd take immensely longer for a group of players to build so a fleet and become a menaces than it would for this to be detected, reported and people suspended or banned.

but with how big no man's sky's universe, it seems it will need massive amount of players to troll lol

They've mentioned before that some players will never meet other players. I imagine that player spawns will be spaced out fairly far apart at the edges of the galaxy and it will take some time (days perhaps, maybe even weeks or months) to progress enough to reach the centre where you'll begin encounter others also trying to reach the centre.

They've mentioned before that some players will never meet other players. I imagine that player spawns will be spaced out fairly far apart at the edges of the galaxy and it will take some time (days perhaps, maybe even weeks or months) to progress enough to reach the centre where you'll begin encounter others also trying to reach the centre.

hmm, what they have in mind to support those massive amount of player convergin in ccenter. It will be awesome if all player will truly be in one multiplayer space. Not some instanced space like some MMO do...

Back