No Man's Sky [PS4, XO, PC]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by RenegadeRocks, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

It's on special on steam at the moment.

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Similar in that it is getting constant content updates and visual upgrades for free. It's fairly rare to see that in B2P games. Even GW2 which is a poster child for B2P charges money for large content updates and visual upgrades in the form of expansions.

No Man's Sky could rightly have charged something for the latest content drop, but they didn't.

Regards,
    SB

Malo likes this.
  3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yup, but not for much longer. At 30 USD, it's still far too expensive for me, however. Even with the added storyline, it's still very much a sandbox game. I don't stay invested in sandbox games usually, so I don't pay a lot for them.

I do like that the developer has stuck with the game despite all the much deserved criticism he received at the original launch and has continued to try to deliver what he promised before the game was released.

Regards,
    SB

4. novcze

Regular

same here, performance issues, bugs and changes in elements and technology are not welcoming for a returning players

5. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

started a new game, seems to perform slightly better.

eloyc likes this.
  6. novcze

Regular

Hello games are busy fixing game after the Next update, which is good ... I restored my last save from 11/2017 and will continue with the Next when major problems are fixed.

https://www.nomanssky.com/news/

7. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

I just got my hyperdrive but haven't moved on to a new system yet. Really enjoying it. Went for a walk with the dog this morning past some standing stones. Had this horrible urge at the back of my mind to collect them with my mining beam. :)

8. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

the volumetric clouds are a nice addition to the game

eloyc likes this.
  9. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah but they seem to be on every planet I've been to. It also applies a cloudy skybox above them and as your flying down to a planet it looks stupid suddenly appearing at a weird angle.

I haven't been to many planets though so I'm not sure if clouds are on every one. Would be very lazy if they are.

10. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

you can have different layers of clouds on earth too it's not shocking. But having clouds on planets without atmosphere would be dumb, but i don't know if there are planets like this in the game.

[​IMG]

11. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

I'm not complaining that they exist, just that they're not implemented very well. They should only fade into existence once you're low enough below the 3D clouds.
    I've landed on some planets with extreme high temps that are basically build shelter or die, but there's fluffy white clouds above me.

12. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

I landed on a moon without volumetric clouds. There was still a tiny skybox though.
    Venus is a boiling 400 degrees planet on the surface and there are big White clouds in the sky ^^

Malo likes this.
  13. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Yeah. Clouds don't have to be water. ;)

14. goonergaz

Veteran

Fired this up to check out the updates. Thought a 30 min spell would suffice...4 hours later I was like, 'what just happened there'? it really did only feel like I played for an hour!

15. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Yeah this game definitely has that timewarp effect.

16. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

was contemplating a sunrise on some random planet when i thought i had heard someone talking (TV sound level was pretty low)
    and then a random player arrived, nice !

goonergaz, Silent_Buddha and eloyc like this.
  17. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

Seems like today's update tanked the performance on my console.

18. DSoup

DSoup meh

I played the original version following it's release for about 30 hours before hitting one of those bugs that prevented further progress but I really enjoyed those 30 hours.

I've not played since but played until the Next update last Saturday and spent about four hours with the latest version of the game. I may be misremembering but my recollection is that in the original I was able to upgrade my multi-tool (weapon and speed/efficiency of the mining laser) and inventory much quicker than it seems now. I just couldn't break the cycle of constantly having to mine and having to refuel the ship after take/off landing is not welcome at all.

I had a play with the base building, which is a welcome addition. I think I'll wait for a few more patches. Everything feels convoluted now. Constantly mining, refining, crafting just to do some basic things. I'm not sure it's an improvement. And the UI isn't great, nor is how the tutorial decides to lead you. It's way easy to select another objective and lose track of what you're trying to do.

And why, for the love of god, in a game where mining is so important, are the sentinels so bloody pervasive? It's just annoying.

19. goonergaz

Veteran

Yeah, they made it slower to start from my memory to...it was too easy before IMHO.

I agree about the fuel too...PITA having to refuel so frequently (maybe gets less of a pain in time?)...it was like that before IIRC.

With the sentinels, I tend to move on as soon as they notice anything and try to stay out of their way... another thing I do when they are sniffing around is just partially mine (not destroy completely).

20. DSoup

DSoup meh

When you're building a base you don't want to venture miles off to get carbon and dust, you need a ton of it and the biggest quantities come when a resource is fully depleted. :-|