No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

What does one actually do in this game?
whatever the hell you want to. You're in control of your own destiny.

I just watched an interview with Sean and he said that it's unlikely that you'll ever meet other players too. I just think the scope is astonishing.

I'd like to know an approximate universe size. Nobody has thought to ask yet.

Much less a galaxy of planets, or a universe of galaxies. That's just dumb. 99.999999+% of such a universe would go unexplored even if humanity played the game until our sun dies.

Haha, that's hilarious and completely true.

whatever the hell you want to. You're in control of your own destiny.

I just watched an interview with Sean and he said that it's unlikely that you'll ever meet other players too. I just think the scope is astonishing.

I'd like to know an approximate universe size. Nobody has thought to ask yet.

Link please :) ! THis is basically the best game out of E3 uptill now. This has demolished every other CG looking game to dust for me !

You have weapons, so you can make it a shooter. Or you can be an explorer, a trader, or whatever in the scope of the game.

Watch the interview.

This has demolished every other CG looking game to dust for me !

And for me! I just hope it's as good as I feel it could be.

What will we be doing??

I don't know about you, but I will be an explorer - discovering new planets. I want 'Jeebsters discovered this planet' all over the galaxy.

If it ends up being VR I think my normal life will be over. :p

it seems they will keep tweaking the "persistence" between players.

I wonder do i can blow a planet :D
then a bunch of us go together to many planets and blow it up in sequence. It will be a beautiful firework :p

That's not an answer. Is this a shooter? An intergalactic sheep herding game? A very elaborate Tetris? What will we be doing??

all of them?

although it seems the gameplay still limited to damage/blow/shot things apart. Wondering can i collect 100 dead dinosaur to one place and make that place filled with crows :/

or just cut some trees and make house :D

That's not an answer. Is this a shooter? An intergalactic sheep herding game? A very elaborate Tetris? What will we be doing??

Looks like one of the core bits of Elite is in there. On a macro scale, I read that the further you get to the center of the universe, the denser populated and higher developed the civilisations out there. You will see stuff like big freighters being attacked by other aircraft, and you can defend the freighter and get a monetary reward, or destroy the freighter and get some of the loot, but it's up to you if and how you want to interact ( I'm sure that'll be something like defend, get the reward, then destroy the freighter, ha ha). But these planes will become more and more powerful and you'll have to have leveled up more the closer you get to the center of the universe (at lesat that's how I read it on a page a while back). Earlier they talked about how further on in the game to get to the center, you'd have to work together more with others, but they're saying that multi-player interaction isn't something they're expecting a lot of or is an important part in their book, because the universe is so large, and people will spawn in random ponits - the chance that they'll meet another human is tiny, so most interaction will be with AI.

As I expected, interaction isn't shared with other players (with millions of planets with planet sized life etc would basically be impossible). However, a lot of your own interactions are saved on the harddrive - so if you kill an enemy that's shared. They're thinking that perhaps if you fuck up a planet to the point where there's no more life on it or something like that, they may share that, but otherwise no.

Elite was a lot of fun in its own time, but things were very different back then.

We didn't really have any other game with 3D space flight, there weren't games with deeper stories, the technology didn't allow for anything more than randomized planets and encounters. Procedural content was pretty much the only way to build anything larger than a few planetary systems.
We also had a lot more free time to waste, and very few other games to compete for that time.

So we took what we got and had our imaginations fill in the blanks. But today it's just not gonna be enough in my opinion...

The original Elite's size according to Wikipedia:

The Elite universe contains eight galaxies, each with 256 planets to explore

Pretty amazing for a system with 48k memory. Perhaps more astonshing is the 3D graphics.

Someone commented earlier in the thread that if you played the game your whole life, you'd only see 1% of No Man's Sky's game world. I actually hope that's an inaccurate metric - if we assume an average 5min planet-planet travel time, the game would 'only' have about 10.5m planets. If the game sold a million copies, the entire galaxy could be discovered in a few short minutes (if all started at the same time and only visited undiscovered planets).

So we took what we got and had our imaginations fill in the blanks. But today it's just not gonna be enough in my opinion...

I think the whole thing looks visually accomplished enough that you won't have to fill in all the blanks with your imagination like you had to in the past anymore. While I don't think the free roaming do-whatever-the-heck-you-want kinda gameplay approach will be enough for the masses that just wanna consume entertainment with as little friction as possible, there are now more gamers than ever who are tired of the same old precisely orchestrated crap with the number 3 or higher attached to it. Just like with Dark Souls, the niche the game's gonna be serving might actually be pretty substantial. Certainly big enough to feed a dev team of four. Just look at Minecraft, Terraria and all its clones.

The original Elite's size according to Wikipedia:

Pretty amazing for a system with 48k memory. Perhaps more astonshing is the 3D graphics.

Someone commented earlier in the thread that if you played the game your whole life, you'd only see 1% of No Man's Sky's game world. I actually hope that's an inaccurate metric - if we assume an average 5min planet-planet travel time, the game would 'only' have about 10.5m planets. If the game sold a million copies, the entire galaxy could be discovered in a few short minutes (if all started at the same time and only visited undiscovered planets).

The way I understand it, it doesn't matter how many people play the game. Be it 10 or 10 million, each will have a different world which is created procedurally, which has the potential to be an infinite number but ultimately won't be as it will be limited by how many people play the game.

The way I understand it, it doesn't matter how many people play the game. Be it 10 or 10 million, each will have a different world which is created procedurally, which has the potential to be an infinite number but ultimately won't be as it will be limited by how many people play the game.
The important thing isn't actually the raw how many unique worlds, but how much diversity. If every player world is identical save for one rock being placed somewhere different, exploration will be pointless. If there are only hundreds of worlds with their own distinct identity, even if there aren't so many of them, they'll bring interest to the game.

Looking at Borderlands 2, it was tooted as having a gazillion different weapons. Yet there's only a handful of flavours of weapon and the 'gazillions' come from irrelevant variations on these few themes. Outside of the truly rare, hand-designed specials, the weapon situation is kinda dull and limited.

NMS is going to succeed or fail based on what variation there is and what difference that brings to the experience. If there are a gazillion unique animals, but only two behaviours and it's obviously just a reskinning, finding new animals won't be that exciting after a while. There needs to be enough scope in the parameters to create some really weird things. Like rocks that are animals and rivers of bugs and a cave that's an animal's insides. I'd go so far to say that they want 'broken' things, so exploration results in stupid/impossible creations that people post online and talk about. Trees with broken collision where you step inside and fall through the planet's core out the other side, or clouds you can jump on.

The very first trailer of the game showed a huge snake-like animal on the surface of a planet, like out of Dune.

I think they'd need to include gravitational pull to have a greater impact on the animal's length or mass.

It'd be interesting to know how many variables are included for animal diversity.

Last edited by a moderator:
NMS is going to succeed or fail based on what variation there is and what difference that brings to the experience. If there are a gazillion unique animals, but only two behaviours and it's obviously just a reskinning, finding new animals won't be that exciting after a while. There needs to be enough scope in the parameters to create some really weird things. Like rocks that are animals and rivers of bugs and a cave that's an animal's insides. I'd go so far to say that they want 'broken' things, so exploration results in stupid/impossible creations that people post online and talk about. Trees with broken collision where you step inside and fall through the planet's core out the other side, or clouds you can jump on.

It's a very good point; the E3 trailer included a planet populated with dinosaurs that looked just like those that used to roam the earth and butterflies, familiar trees, birds, antlered four-legged creatures. None of them were so different to what we know exist/have existed.

I can hypothesise a planet not to dissimilar to our own, but smaller so it has a gravitational pull that's much less than Earth. If it went through a similar evolution to us it would be populated by a Slenderman type species. A much larger planet would create a wide, dwarf type of species. Like you say, it’d be much more interesting if the variables were so great and allowed for ridiculous animals. I’d imagine the reality of the universe would cause many species out there that would look completely daft to our understanding. It’d be good if we were able to get some of that.

Back