No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

Cool, hope they will make 60 fps more stable, because even on PS4 Pro at 1080p the game was very choppy when moving around large scale base.

I thoroughly enjoy NMS at launch I played the Steam version for around 30 hours before hitting a game breaking bug. I did dip back in earlier this year but found it almost an completely different game which put me off. Perhaps I need to give this another go because the fundamental premise, still hugely appeals and those netxgen improvements are great and I assume NMS is super cheap on PS4/PS5 by now.

I thoroughly enjoy NMS at launch I played the Steam version for around 30 hours before hitting a game breaking bug. I did dip back in earlier this year but found it almost an completely different game which put me off. Perhaps I need to give this another go because the fundamental premise, still hugely appeals and those netxgen improvements are great and I assume NMS is super cheap on PS4/PS5 by now.

Im exactly the same, loved the release game but a bit daunting going back, will give it another go on PSVR.
It’s £20 in the sale...get credit from shopto for another ~15% saving.

Last edited:
Im exactly the same, loved the release game but a bit daunting going back, will give it another go on PSVR. It’s £20 in the sale...get credit from shopto for another ~15% saving.

Bought it this afternoon. :yes: Not dipped in yet.

It's definitely a lot more accessible nowadays. I've put about 40 hours into it recently but have slowed down. Just trying to build up freighters and credits at the moment.

Still have no idea how to get the upgrade modules for freighters.

Mass Effect’s Normandy SR-1 has come to NMS as an S-class frigate, and we have until May 31st to find and claim it.

I think it’s time for me to get a (edit: freighter then a) frigate.

Edit: good gravy, this game is ... layered. A freighter is your mobile command center in space, but there are 18 slot freighters (~€20M) and 34 slot capital freighters (~€140M). The first one is free, so don’t necessarily take the first one you’re offered.

Then you can have up to 30 frigates (e.g., the Normandy) in your freighter’s fleet. There are four or five types, which you mix and match to send on Expeditions. There are five new Expeditions on offer per day on your freighter. You buy frigates by window shopping them as other freighters warp into your system. I don’t know if the Expedition that nets you the Normandy starts on your freighter’s bridge or in the Nexus.

It looks like a lot of work.

Edit 2: You send your frigates out on expeditions that take a predetermined amount of time. My first and only was a 15hr jaunt that I haven’t checked on yet. It’s kind of like a mobile game in that (not flattering) respect.

I wanted to check in on my expedition but this latest 82MB v3.42 update file has been copying for about 15mins. It’s enough to drive me to streaming game services....

Last edited:
Turns out the Expedition to get the Normandy is different than the expeditions you set n forget from your freighter. The Expeditions of the titular update are timed events (the first was two months, the second is two weeks) that you start via a new game. Some of the stuff you unlock then becomes available across all your save game files. I think you need to make sure you have a spare frigate slot (max 30) in your main game to get the Normandy.

We’ll see if I can finish it in time, though it seems to be more about exploring than mining. It’s kind of like a streamlined tutorial with bonuses throughout.

This seems promising:

The keys are to (1) turn off multiplayer in the in-game network options and (2) build a base computer (without uploading) on the starting planet before you leave or just visit the space station to gain access to its teleporter, and to skip every expedition milestone except for the rendezvous points on your way straight to the fifth rendezvous point (select it from the expedition tab). The five fifth rendezvous points will require you to warp way out of town (16 times, so watch the video while you’re warping), and the base computer or space station will let you teleport back to the starting system without the tedium of warping your way back for the return trip. It seems like you only need to complete all of the fifth phase milestones to acquire the Normandy.

Last edited:
Hmm i Just started NMS for the very first time last night, any chance a new player could execute all this in 90 odd mins?
I played about an hour so far, just about to leave my starting planet for the first time.

I'd love to get the Normandy, but i'm Very time limited... :(

Hmm i Just started NMS for the very first time last night, any chance a new player could execute all this in 90 odd mins?
I played about an hour so far, just about to leave my starting planet for the first time.

have you tried using the exploration mode?

how about using a save file from other people?

Honestly, it’s cool for a minute but probably not wortth it. You won’t see it that often once you have it, and the only way you interact with it os to send it on missions from your freighter and maybe land on it to fix it if it gets damaged. The Expedition is kind of a tutorial or highlight of the things you can do in the game, so it’s probably worth doing even without the rewards for a newcomer like you.

It was fairly straightforward as long as you know the basics (of which there are a lot), but it’ll probably take you somewhat more than 90mins. The key is to just do what’s necessary for the fifth phase. Turn off multiplayer in the Networks tab (Option > L3 on PS4/5). You start, mine some rocks to fix your scanner and build the exocraft. Immediately delete the exocraft station (hit the up arrow a couple times to select something to build, the hold L2 while cursoring over the station, it should turn vaguely red, then hit R2 to delete). Claim the rewards for building the exocraft (mainly condensed carbon) by selecting them in the Expeditions tab (press Option, go to the tab with R1/L1, select em and the rewards are placed in your inventory). Then find your ship and build/mine the parts/minerals you need to fix the broken components. You fix them in the inventory screen (click the touchpad).

Take off and aim for your freighter. Use your pulse drive (circle button?) to exit the planet’s atmosphere then pulse (L1 + R1) over to the space station (orangeish icon). Land, exit and immediately reenter your ship and take off for your freighter. Aim for the glowing blue entry bay. Climb the stairs and head straight back to the main room. Select the fifth nav beacon as your mission in theExpeditions tab. You may have to fix something on the ship, then just start warping via the warp station (opposite the dude standing by the circular desk). The warp map is a bit of a PITA to learn. Move the right stick toward the green line until it highlights the next star, then hit X to warp there. You keep doing that until you arrive at the fifth rendezvous star system.

Once in, pulse to the beacon and follow the directions for each fifth phase mission (you may have to select them each time, in case the game autoselects the first phase objectives). The nav markers are vague, so you land and use the scanner to zero in on the actual site (or circle the area for a player base with an obvious name).

I can’t remember if a mission takes you to the Atlas Station, but that’s something you can summon anywhere in space (down arrow then left a few times, aim and hit X). Once you get the dosimeter you have to scan some ancient artifact sites. To find some sites, go to the local space station and trade in your nav beacons for ancient artifact sites. Land at the station, turn left to take the stairs and go to the guy in the stall closest to the teleporter (glowing blue stargate thingy). Go to your inventory and hit square with the artifact site maps selected repeatedly, to cash in all your chips. Exit the station and visit the three needed to take dosimeter readings, then another three to earn whatever currency you spend in the Atlas Station (not credits or nanites, but the rightmost number in the top left of the inventory screen).

Then I think you find the final mission site (a huge circle), interact with it (check a video, it’s not obvious), and the Normandy shows up. You get in your ship, fly to it, open a comms channel (down arrow, right to comms, up) and that’s it. You claim it in your other saves (or just continue with this one) by going to a stall in the Atlas station for expedition rewards.

The Expedition is worth it just to see the cool planets Hello Games set up for this and to see some amazing player created bases and trick builds (e.g., harvesting whispering eggs without dealing with swarms).

And this is why PC can be better: https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3094515496017427027/

Apparently you can edit a txt file to give yourself at least Expedition 1 rewards, and also do something (I didn’t follow the link within my link) to run the Expedition after it expires.

The new Prisms update, v3.5, applies to PC and console alike*: https://www.nomanssky.com/prisms-update/

Update 3.5, Prisms, dramatically refreshes the No Man’s Sky experience with a range of new visual features and technologies. The universe has never looked better, with reflections, new texture effects, more biome detail, improved lighting, new skies, new warp effects, creature fur, and a host more besides.

* SSR only for new gen and X1X. They really don’t like the Pro (VR res grumble grumble).

Back