No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

Nanites are a pain to get. I found one runaway mold farm during Expedition 2, but I haven’t found a planet with the mold plant or a way to plant it myself yet. There’s a loophole to get as many as you have time for. 425k/hr, according to the YouTube video that clued me in.

1. Max your suit general and high-capacity inventory.
2. Clear it out to have the max avail empty slots. Note the # of free slots you have.
3. Divvy up some 1-item stacks of a common (or expensive, if you’re feeling generous) element in your starship. Tritium, carbon, whatever.
4. Fly to the Atlas.
5. Buy as many of the most expensive upgrades from Ares (far right mezzanine, next to the food taster) as your inventory and nanites allow (empty slots x upgrade cost = max to buy at one time). You can buy more than one at a time by using dpad L/R or Q/E on a blessed PC. The total will be a little more than calculated for some reason (e.g., 54x177=9558 but I’m charged 9600).
6. Now transfer one of those starship single-element stacks to a nearby player (triangle on PS). You’ll need to have multiplayer on and be near someone. You’ll see a message center-top of your screen if it failed or succeeded.
7. If you manage to pass a buck, immediately load your last autosave (when you got out of your ship on Atlas). You’ll notice you have your prepurchase amount of nanites but you’ll still have all the upgrades you bought. That’s because transferring something to another player saves your inventory but not your wallet.
8. Sell your free upgrades to Ares, then hop in and out of your ship to create a new quicksave.
9. Go to 5.

The more inventory space and nanites you start with and the closer you park to Ares (this is random), the faster this goes. The 400k/hr is for an empty, max inventory suit (96 slots) and enough nanites to initially fill it with a ~170 nanite upgrade (96x170=16320).

This is a grindy PITA, like most of this game, but it may save you the time finding an S-class version of the ship / freighter / multitool you want by just paying the 50k nanites per level to upgrade its class.

Edit: A simpler but less effective way may be to find a system with A or S class ships. Go to the station, buy a ship and immediately scrap it. Sell the upgrades modules you receive at the closest upgrade dealer (exosuit guy) for nanites. Hop in and out of your ship to autosave in case you need to reload to prompt a new wave of ships. Repeat.

Last edited:
tried it a bit, did not seen much improvements in the graphics sadly.
i hope they are still working on a proper sequel.

I only recently re-started replaying NMS and was just gearing up to make a big pile of money so that I didn't really have to worry about grinding for materials. Is it still possible to amass a pile of resources and crash economies or is my container of cobalt now worthless?

Which will look blurrier: NMS on Switch or on PS4 PSVR? The text should at least be legible on Switch….

This feels like a really good fit for the Switch.
perhaps gameplay wise, but computational wise this is like the anathema of the the platform, but who knows, though not expecting 60fps :)
I still aint played it, even though this is one of the few games in my wheelhouse, a childhood dream realized. Lack of time

Well, well, well. Buried in the flood of changes in the new Sentinel update (bandwidth-heavy page) is this gem:
  • VR image quality has been improved for PS4 Pro.
Not live for me yet.

NMS is now Steam Deck optimized (including touch controls), which should make for an interesting comparison with the Switch port.

Edit: Update is live. It looks like an improvement, at least according to this guy’s video. I should have waited to update so I could back-to-back it, but some HUD text was basically illegible and now it all seems legible.

Edit 2: Much shorter video with base/Pro comparison. Looks better. Still surprised people aren’t commenting on text legibility.

Last edited:

image.png

image.png

It's worth noting the Fractal update is for all platforms, not just PSVR2, but it does incorporate PSVR2 support. I assume the visual improvements referred to here are over the previously supported PSVR1 version of the game rather than the PC which would naturally be able to run up to full non vr mode fidelity.
Yeah, the key patch features are weirdly presented. It looks like all of the visual enhancements are only for PSVR2, which doesn't make a lot of sense. We forgot we give NSM on PSVR2 a test run this even but I'll have a look tomorrow. I never played it on the original PSVR, and its been a long time since I played it on a Quest 2.

Back