No HDMI 1.3 in PS3?

wco81

Legend
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8233110&&#post8233110

Silicon Image won't ship their HDMI 1.3 Transmitter chips until October.

PS3 is suppose to be in production now for launch in November (and maybe shipping date is even earlier, unless they want to use expensive air freight from the Far East).

Strange press release, referring to their 1.3 receiver chips being able to match the output capabilities of the PS3.

Well if the world's first 1.3 transmitter isn't in production until October, how is that going to work?

GF7900 = the general retail version
RSX = the PS3 custom version

SiI 9134 = the general retail version
??? = the PS3 custom version

Obviously it IS gonna work, since PS3 has already announced (and I believe, demonstrated) HDMI 1.3 capability... These threads are pointless speculation, as even if this chip isn't released until october it doesn't mean it's going to be used in PS3 at all.

There a reference the PS3 is gonna use that chip? I only see "matching capabilities"

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's integrated in RSX and OTOH Silicon Image, err, forgot to say "discrete" when they talked about having the first thing of that kind, ever, in the whole wide world :???:

Looking at the press release I'm reading that the PS3 supports this standard and can output 1080p 60 Hz 36bpp colour, and Silicon Image are going to provide the first chip needed in displays to receive and display those images.

“Sony has indicated that the PlayStation 3 is expected to ship in November of this year with the ability to render the highest-quality video ever seen in a consumer device,â€￾ said Dale Zimmerman, vice president of marketing at Silicon Image. “The SiI 9133 receiver matches the capabilities of the PlayStation 3 and makes it possible for HDTV manufacturers to ship products this year that are capable of displaying Deep Color images, for the highest-quality gaming experience and fullest enjoyment of high-definition movies.

Yes they do play up the PS3 angle.

But at the same time, they claim the 9134 is the world first HDMI 1.3 transmitter chip. Yet the 9134 won't go into production until October...

So maybe there's another HDMI 1.3 transmitter chip ...

Sounds kinda like they are doing the typical PR thing...

Who says "going into production" actually means "going into production" in the world of PR? It's possible they meant going into "full" production and limited production has started for special products (like PS3). Or maybe they mean that this will be the first chip available, which, in October, it would be... PS3 won't be released by then. Who knows -- this press release is seemingly self contradictory, so it's hard to make any sort of assumptions about anything that it covers.

But at the same time, they claim the 9134 is the world first HDMI 1.3 transmitter chip. Yet the 9134 won't go into production until October...
There is lots of info in that release to suggest their chip isn't the one driving PS3.

The VastLane SiI 9133, an advanced dual-input HDMI receiver, will enable HDTVs to display Deep Color content transmitted by a new generation of consumer products, such as the Sony PlayStation 3 and high-definition DVD players.
The receiver is needed for HDTVs to display PS3's Deep Colour capabilities.
The VastLane SiI 9134 transmitter may be integrated into HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc DVD players and recorders to transmit Deep Color content for the highest-quality image for the end consumer.
The transmitter is there for other devices, but isn't mentioned as being the driving force behind PS3's transmission capabilities. Why haven't they said 'the SiI 9134 will be integrated into consoles to enable Deep Colour output' or 'PS3, the world's first Deep Colour capable CE product, uses our amazing 9134 chip!'?

Everything points to the announcement of this new tech being to notify CE producers that they've finally got the chance to use HDMI 1.3, and an inclusion of PS3 by name is there as the only current output of HDMI 1.3 while SiI are trying to convince compnaie to add 1.3 capabilities. Why are HDTV manufacturers going to buy these components if nothing outputs 1.3? Well, something does and it's gonna sell in the millions and if your TV doesn't support Deep Colour input but your rival's does, guess who all those PS3 owners will be buying their HDTVs from - not you! So buy our components now and jump on the 1.3 bandwagon before you're left behind. 1.3 is here in a few months in PS3. Don't wait until HD disc players with 1.3 are widespread in 12+ months time but add 1.3 right now to your products. You know it makes sense!

A while ago during their earnings, it was reported that they would be a supplier for PS3. But that seemed to be a misinterpretation, because a transcript of their Q1 and Q2 earnings call indicates that they're not necessarily a PS3 supplier, just that they expect to benefit from its release because it'll help buoy demand for HDMI/HDMI 1.3. They were quite coy about it.

Q2

http://seekingalpha.com/article/14406

Let me first of all tell you that I never said that there was exposure of the game console segment so we need to be very careful here. The PlayStation while support HDMI 1.3 features we have never said one way or the other how they are getting there. So it could be anything from a chip to a license to competitor could be anything, right.

Q1

http://chip.seekingalpha.com/article/9740

Q - Ed Marquand

Hi, Steve. This is Ed Marquand (phonetic) for Charlie Glavin. Just to clarify, you were mentioning something about the Sony announcement. Are you saying that you guys are supplying the chips to Sony or are you saying that they have announced an HDMI interface on their PS3?

A - Steve Tirado

Yes, I haven't said anything different than I've said in the past, and that is that Sony has announced the use of HDMI. I'm not saying that we are involved with that. I was just-- the question was: where are the increased new platforms coming from? And that's one area where we're going to see increased HDMI utilization.

Also, their claim about being 'first' with these devices could be in a number of contexts - the first to have both (versus just a transmitter, which is all PS3 needs), or first to have devices commercially available to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think another big question WRT HDMI is if the PS3 will convert HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 Audio to HDMI 1.1 hi-res PCM for people who only have an HDMI 1.1 compliant receiver/processor. (i.e.me :) )

I think another big question WRT HDMI is if the PS3 will convert HDMI 1.2 and 1.3 Audio to HDMI 1.1 hi-res PCM for people who only have an HDMI 1.1 compliant receiver/processor. (i.e.me :) )

I believe the discs themselves may have legacy audio as well as next-gen audio.

Back