No DX12 Software is Suitable for Benchmarking *spawn*

Is there a MSRP for the 12Gb? I thought it was just created as a profiteering GPU.
No public MSRP was given.

Not sure what you mean by "a profiteering GPU" though as finding any GPU at their stated MSRP is basically impossible, and looking at market prices 3080-12 seem to sell at about where you'd expect it to be based on its relative performance to 3080-10 and 3080Ti. Giving some MSRP for that card wouldn't change that in any way.

Sorry I dont read german (despite taking it in school) how is it broken?
It isn't, it's just the usual mantra. If AMD isn't doing as well as expected, it's AMDs fault, if NVIDIA isn't doing as well as expected, it's games fault.
If troyan had checked anything but graphs he'd know it too, as the review explicitly states it: Ego engine is just well optimized for AMD hardware, just like it has always been.

It isn't, it's just the usual mantra. If AMD isn't doing as well as expected, it's AMDs fault, if NVIDIA isn't doing as well as expected, it's games fault.
Your mantra? Don't remember anyone else here saying this.

If troyan had checked anything but graphs he'd know it too, as the review explicitly states it: Ego engine is just well optimized for AMD hardware, just like it has always been.
Which means that it is badly optimized for Nvidia h/w because otherwise the results would be as in titles which are "just well optimized" for all h/w.

You should explain why outdated games like Grid:Legens or Valhalla can only archive ~100 FPS on nVidia hardware when at the same time i can play games with Raytracing at higher frames - Battlefield 5, Control, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Formula 1 2021 etc.

DX12 has it own "DX11" moment: Software bottleneck limiting modern GPUs.

Sorry I dont read german (despite taking it in school) how is it broken?
I too had german in school and I couldn't find any hint for this either. Just the usual mention of Codemasters games running above average on Radeon compared to GeForce.

Meh :/ I am pretty disappointed, this doesn't look impressive to me. Especially considering its using mesh shading.

3dmark benchmarks haven’t looked impressive for a long time. 3dmark doesn’t really have a reason to exist any more. It’s usually late to the party when it comes to new graphics features.

Though if it’s really using both mesh shading and raytracing it will be interesting to see how they pulled that off.

3dmark benchmarks haven’t looked impressive for a long time. 3dmark doesn’t really have a reason to exist any more. It’s usually late to the party when it comes to new graphics features.

Though if it’s really using both mesh shading and raytracing it will be interesting to see how they pulled that off.

Developers don't really have to use mesh shading solely for rendering compressed geometry. You can use mesh shading to do a straight replacement of the vertex shading pipeline in the trivial case. Also you could use lower resolution LODs for ray tracing just like how UE5 Lumen does for Nanite meshes ...

GPUScore Relic Of Life benchmarks with 22 GPUs - Article Page 3 - D3D12, OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan (guru3d.com)
There is a new benchmark in town, fabricated by ex-Futuremark employees Basemark GPUScore Relic of life has been released with an aim to measure Raytracing on VULKAN and DirectX.

GPUScore is intended to provide professional results for GPU performance measurement and comparison. It executes its tests frame-by-frame, which means that each benchmark run with identical parameters generates the exact same workload for the system and delivers the most repeatable and similar results.
GPUScore was created in collaboration with the industry's major GPU and device providers. Basemark does not have the permission to reveal all of the participants, however we may publicly name a few: ARM, Broadcomm, Imagination, Intel, Mediatek, Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Samsung. Basemark's benchmarks are planned and developed in collaboration with these firms to ensure that the benchmark issued meets the industry's demands as closely as feasible.

GPUScore is the first GPU test that compares hardware-accelerated ray tracing on Vulkan versus DirectX ray tracing. The high-end raytracing gaming PC benchmark includes global lighting based on raytracing. It also has actually reflecting mirrors with a hall of mirrors situation, where opposing mirrors display a reflection of a reflection with the default settings.

index.php
index.php
index.php

index.php

It's always a bit amusing seeing GPU reviews. You'd almost think that absolutely no titles in existence are optimized for NVidia GPU hardware and only AMD hardware receives any optimizations. I don't believe I heard the author of that video mentioning even once that NV might be performing better because a title might be optimized for NV hardware. :p But man, if the AMD GPU had a significant lead, it's almost always because the title must have been optimized for AMD hardware. :p

Note: I'm not saying a game might not be more optimized for AMD hardware, but I think it's a bit naive at best to believe that no titles receive any optimizations for NV hardware. :p

I mean it should be obvious that both vendor's GPUs receive optimizations in games to a greater or lesser degree with NV hardware generally benefitting from more optimizations just due to NV spending more than AMD on devrel.

Regards,
SB

It's always a bit amusing seeing GPU reviews. You'd almost think that absolutely no titles in existence are optimized for NVidia GPU hardware and only AMD hardware receives any optimizations. I don't believe I heard the author of that video mentioning even once that NV might be performing better because a title might be optimized for NV hardware. :p But man, if the AMD GPU had a significant lead, it's almost always because the title must have been optimized for AMD hardware. :p

Note: I'm not saying a game might not be more optimized for AMD hardware, but I think it's a bit naive at best to believe that no titles receive any optimizations for NV hardware. :p

I mean it should be obvious that both vendor's GPUs receive optimizations in games to a greater or lesser degree with NV hardware generally benefitting from more optimizations just due to NV spending more than AMD on devrel.

Regards,
SB

Some of that sentiment is likely a holdover from AMD’s VLIW days where it was easier to utilize Nvidia’s scalar + hardware scoreboarding execution units. Also if Nvidia is faster on average (due to explicit optimization or otherwise) it’s natural for people to treat any AMD wins as an exception to the rule.

Some of that sentiment is likely a holdover from AMD’s VLIW days where it was easier to utilize Nvidia’s scalar + hardware scoreboarding execution units. Also if Nvidia is faster on average (due to explicit optimization or otherwise) it’s natural for people to treat any AMD wins as an exception to the rule.

Absolutely, I get that. But this sort of reinforces the weird stereotype that the only way AMD GPUs can win benchmarks is if they are optimized for AMD GPUs, while at the same time not acknowledging that NV are generally winning benchmarks because of optimizations for NV GPUs.

I mean, it's almost like optimizations for one GPU hardware arch. will give it an advantage in benchmarks. :p But the only time it's ever brought up is if AMD is benefiting, which sort of gives the impression that AMD's hardware is somehow inherently worse when in fact it's more of a case of which hardware arch any given title is receiving the most optimizations. RT aside, of course, because the RT on AMD hardware is so far behind that there just isn't much of a comparison there.

I don't even think most reviewers are consciously doing this (that would be unprofessional and borderline malicious), but it does go a long way towards promoting, IMO, bad information.

Better would be to just come out and say, hey. NV GPUs are typically a better buy because more titles will be optimized for NV GPUs than for AMD GPUs. Rather than only saying, well NV GPUs are better performers and the only time AMD GPUs can perform well is if a title is optimized for AMD GPUs. The first statement makes clear the current situation of gaming software relative to gaming hardware. The second implies that one IHVs hardware doesn't require optimizations to perform well in games while the other does, even if that wasn't the reviewer's intent.

Regards,
SB

Back