Nintendo Wii - Market leaders surpassing x360

kyetech

Regular
Nintendo are the market leaders, just thought I would give folks the heads up.

So who would have thought it 1 year ago, that N would be next gen leaders? Well I can already hear people saying but its just 2GC's duck taped together, and ... well its not exactly next gen is it, and ... Its only a fad.

Well, which ever way you spin it, its doing very well. I look forward to mine when Galaxy comes out. And Wii Fit is going to be cool with the familly at christmas.

I once was a hardcore gamer, but since getting older I cant afford the time. Hence fun pick up games are the way forward for me.

www.vgchartz.com

PS: site is very busy with traffic at mo, and has kind of grinded to a halt.

As I can't connect, is it vgachartz posting official data from a reliable source or pulling numbers out of their asses again?

LOL,

Well, exactly how accurate the data is, is open for debate, But put it this way, they have made a press release to go out to all sites. and no doubt Nin will use it, and no doubt MS will dismiss it as innacurate.

So who knows.

With or without vgchartz, Nintendo was within 1m or so of the 360 at last count in July. So it's not inconceivable at this point in time for the Wii to have become the market leader. At worst, it'll be the undisputed leader in only another month or two.

With or without vgchartz, Nintendo was within 1m or so of the 360 at last count in July. So it's not inconceivable at this point in time for the Wii to have become the market leader. At worst, it'll be the undisputed leader in only another month or two.

I know its plausible, I was just wondering if it was official.

2 widely used sources NPD + Famitsu
add those together + u get the result wii > xb360 thus any lingering doubt to the real result worldwide lies with other markets eg europe

though as Natoma saiz in a month or two (due to the fact that the wii is outselling the xb360 heavily in america/erurope + japan), even diehard xb360 supporters would find it hard to argue that the xb360 is bestselling current gen console.

So who would have thought it 1 year ago, that N would be next gen leaders?
not me, not the game companies/publishers and not even nintendo themselves :)

As I can't connect, is it vgachartz posting official data from a reliable source or pulling numbers out of their asses again?

Its nothing official from Ninty/MS/NPD etc, its just VGChartz announcing their made-up numbers show the Wii has overtaken the 360 in worldwide sales. They are using their made-up European numbers as well as their made-up US weekly numbers to get these overall numbers by the way.

I'm sure the Wii is pretty close to the 360 now, however I don't think that VGChartz have the authority to make such bold declarations. Its a site that started as a bit of fun which now takes itself far too seriously, especially for a site that has a 'Z' for an 'S'.

It is not in any way official but I can tell you it's pretty close.

So it's completely unofficial, but a good estimate,

Most of it is extrapolated from Nintendo quarterly and such. Nintendo always gives sales not shipments in it's PR.

And you cant really argue that somewhere around now, Ninty has overtaken MS worldwide.

I bought a Wii the day it came out and I never owned a console before (nor did I ever wish one until the introduction of Wiimote). So I think that's congratulation enough in itself :)

Back