Nintendo to ship 6 million Wii by Mar. 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
http://today.reuters.com/investing/...TKV002728_RTRUKOC_0_US-JAPAN-NINTENDO-WII.xml
Nintendo sees 2006/07 Wii sales of 6 mln units

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese video game maker Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Thursday it expected to sell 6 million units of its upcoming Wii game console in the year to next March.

Nintendo plans to launch the Wii in the final quarter of 2006, setting a stage for a three-way battle with Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Xbox 360 and Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) forthcoming PlayStation 3 in the nearly $30 billion global video game market.

Nintendo also said it aimed to sell 17 million units of Wii software in the current business year.

Also at the same conference, it's been officially confirmed that Wii is going to be sold less than 25,000 Yen.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aGb9SiTZ4trI&refer=top_world_news

Currently 25,000 Yen = $221.63 USD. Seeing as most Nintendo consoles have shipped at $199 it is appearing more and more likely Wii will as well.

Yeah, I think they will go with $199, it is like Nintendo tradition ever since NES.
I won't be surprised if they launch at $249 though. Either way,I believe they won't have any problem selling initial 6 mil units.

This'll be the fastest console growth generation ever! The question is whether people will be buying at the rates these companies are selling...

Isn't this a negative? I mean they are going low-tech and planning to ship the same amount as super hi tech PS3 in the same period?

They should be shipping a lot more. That was one of the advantages of Wii's low tech approach. No shortages even over holiday season would have been a nice idea.

sonyps35 said:
Isn't this a negative? I mean they are going low-tech and planning to ship the same amount as super hi tech PS3 in the same period?

They should be shipping a lot more. That was one of the advantages of Wii's low tech approach. No shortages even over holiday season would have been a nice idea.

Why? It's about market share. If Nintendo has the same market share as PS3 after half a year, it'd considered it a success, especially, when their last console sales numbers were a quarter of Sony's.
If their projected numbers hold true, then Nintendo would have sold more units than X360 in the comparable timeframe.

That's why I called their plans optimistic / ambitious.

Doesn't make sense for Nintendo to increase the price over the Japanese price. It will be $200 or less in North America The DSLite will be released at a lower price than Japan so Wii will definitely follow.

hupfinsgack said:
Why? It's about market share. If Nintendo has the same market share as PS3 after half a year, it'd considered it a success, especially, when their last console sales numbers were a quarter of Sony's.
If their projected numbers hold true, then Nintendo would have sold more units than X360 in the comparable timeframe.

That's why I called their plans optimistic / ambitious.

True if they sold the same as Sony that would be a huge gain over last gen - but they have the opportunity THIS gen to go beyond. I thought the same thing about a potentialy huge benefit being simpler tech = easier to manufacture and at significantly lower cost. This pricing difference will not last throughout the entire lifespan however and they should take advantage while they can. I'm not saying ps3 will at some point cost less than or equal to Wii. I'm saying at some point people wont care how much ps3 costs, the cost will be insignificant (<$200).

I wonder why only 6M if they really think that both gamers and no gamers will like then they would think it should sell more than PS3 (that only some gamers will buy)?

About the price it as expected IMO, still for 200$ I expect some good juice in it.

Only 6 million?! That's still a lot of consoles, for a new product that isn't going to start production until shortly before release. They're all going for a mad rush on the market it seems, and we don't really need any madder!

6 million is doable starting with a global launch. They can easily sell 1.5 million in Japan alone in 2006 and another 1.5 miilion in NA in 2006.

NANOTEC said:
6 million is doable starting with a global launch. They can easily sell 1.5 million in Japan alone in 2006 and another 1.5 miilion in NA in 2006.

See, there's the problem. Nintendo so far has not confirmed a global launch. In fact, in a few interviews they didn't even sound fairly optimistic about it.

Anyone think that a Japan Wii launch for $199 before the PS3 is problematic for Sony?

If people in Japan are having more 'fun' for $199, i think Sony may actually "feel the Wii", as it were...

sonyps35 said:

They plan on selling about 21% of the number of Gamecubes in a 6 month period. Mind you it's taken Nintendo 5 years to build up it's Gamecube userbase.

I would say they are extremely optimistic, and trying to ship any more units would be borderline insane.

hupfinsgack said:
Yes. That's why Nintendo plans are ambitious / optimistic.

I don't think it's ambitious at all. Wii's price alone will make it an attractive purchase. Keep in mind that Wii isn't launching 18 months after PS3 nor at the same price. Using GC as some kind of reference is idiotic.

A million a month for a new peice of hardware is ambitious. Ambitious doesn't mean implausible, but it means striving towards big things.

There's unproven aspects to it, like how well the GPU can be pressed (a GPU as yet not even created it seems, all of 4-5 months from launch, and certainly with no experience of fabbing), whether 6 million people will want it that early, and so forth. That's not to say Nintendo's plan isn't unfounded or is improbable of success - they may well prove successful. But it's an ambitious plan, as is PS3's I think.

Shifty Geezer said:
A million a month for a new peice of hardware is ambitious. Ambitious doesn't mean implausible, but it means striving towards big things.

There's unproven aspects to it, like how well the GPU can be pressed (a GPU as yet not even created it seems, all of 4-5 months from launch, and certainly with no experience of fabbing), whether 6 million people will want it that early, and so forth. That's not to say Nintendo's plan isn't unfounded or is improbable of success - they may well prove successful. But it's an ambitious plan, as is PS3's I think.

Now that I think about it it does seem in line with what Nintendo has done before.

I seem to remember them flooding the market with so many Gamecubes just after launch that they actually had to stop production completely for several months due to oversaturation of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back