Nintendo Switch sales numbers

By design, they do it with every console.

I seriously doubt this. I think that they're having trouble getting the NAND since Apple has more clout than them. It's been reported on before.

Wii U definitely wasn't supply constrained. I worked at Gamestop during that time. It might have been restrained for like a week or two.

Not everywhere

yea if you know to use ebay, you can get there
It is supply limited and likely to remain so until after christmas. Next year will be interesting.

I think demand will catch up soon, judging by ebay prices which have falling hard this week, looks like scalpers are just trying not to take a loss now. I could have bought 3 today for 329$, 340$, and 350$ today at ebay, brand new, with free shipping. so your paying 20-35$ over msrp. Gamestop also has them in stock, with zelda, zelda dlc,and has been heroes digital game. on ebay auctions many of them are going for 330-340, with free shipping, thats basically retail price.

Last edited:
Supply more than meets demand in Scandinavia, just to give an example. I could see it being hard to get in Japan and the Americas.

yea if you know to use ebay, you can get there

I think demand will catch up soon, judging by ebay prices which have falling hard this week, looks like scalpers are just trying not to take a loss now. I could have bought 3 today for 329$, 340$, and 350$ today at ebay, brand new, with free shipping. so your paying 20-35$ over msrp. Gamestop also has them in stock, with zelda, zelda dlc,and has been heroes digital game. on ebay auctions many of them are going for 330-340, with free shipping, thats basically retail price.
Also I just noticed it's available at 389$ and 399$ for the 2 models at amazon.com. Almost all the big games* being out demand is definitely catching up. Maybe for this console scalpers greatly contributed to creating the low supply.

*Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2, once Mario is out Switch catalog will be fully complete :yep2:.

Also I just noticed it's available at 389$ and 399$ for the 2 models at amazon.com. Almost all the big games* being out demand is definitely catching up. Maybe for this console scalpers greatly contributed to creating the low supply.

*Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2, once Mario is out Switch catalog will be fully complete :yep2:.

In gamestop you can get for msrp, it looks like they don't charge tax, with the zelda/heroes bundle.

Is that because demand is high, or supply is low? We never know, which is why anecdotal evidence isn't terribly useful. ;)

Not everywhere

Not everywhere, but in the markets where sales potential is the highest it is.

Supply more than meets demand in Scandinavia

Texas has a larger population than Scandinavia. Scandinavia is a very small part of the global market, and would never have accounted for huge numbers anyway. Also, if stock outages are not a thing in various markets, they likely are not being restocked, and thus other more lucrative markets would be getting access to the new units being manufactured. On the global market, Switch is supply limited big time, and demand in the biggest economies is very strong.

Is that because demand is high, or supply is low? We never know, which is why anecdotal evidence isn't terribly useful.

What we do know is Nintendo sold just under 2 million units from April 1st through June 31. Not exactly a huge number of units for a three month period, but also pretty much inline with Nintendo expecting to sell 10 million units its first fiscal year. Nintendo likely expected 2 million units to be sufficient for what has historically been a slow time of the year for console sales. The demand in Japan alone is huge. Lines of 1500+ people for a chance to win the ability to purchase a Switch. Nintendo obviously had extra Switch units ready for Splatoon 2's launch, and sold nearly 100k in Japan last week. As longs as Nintendo is only able to produce 2-3 million units per quarter, Switch will likely remain supply limited through the year.

The question is at what point does demand start to falter? Nintendo has had so many big first party games already to help establish the console, but what about next year? Mario Odyssey will likely bring a big boost leading into 2018, but Nintendo will need some big hitters ready to go for consistent releases if they want to maintain 10+ million units per year in 2018 and beyond.

Is that because demand is high, or supply is low? We never know, which is why anecdotal evidence isn't terribly useful. ;)

it's been in stock at gamespot for 3 days, the bundle was zelda, zelda dlc and has been heroes for 399$. they released some amazing bundles 12 hours ago, all 359,99 still in stock.

zelda bundle 359.99
splatton 2 bundle 359.99
arms bundle 359,99
minicraft 349

I agree with you though, people are acting like the demand is insane, other then japan we don't know. Nintendo is shipping only 165k units per 4 weeks for the past 2 months, that's very low for a new console, thats releasing there biggest franchises.

Last edited:
Of course it is difficult to make a good prognosis under supply constrained conditions. It's pretty damn difficult under any circumstances! The only thing we can say is really that it would have sold "more".
Generally speaking, volume tends to drive even higher volume. Word of mouth, friends playing, attractiveness of the platform to publishers/developers - all increases with sales volume.

it's been in stock at gamespot for 3 days, the bundle was zelda, zelda dlc and has been heroes for 399$. they released some amazing bundles 12 hours ago, all 359,99 still in stock.

zelda bundle 359.99
splatton 2 bundle 359.99
arms bundle 359,99
minicraft 349

I agree with you though, people are acting like the demand is insane, other then japan we don't know. Nintendo is shipping only 165k units per 4 weeks for the past 2 months, that's very low for a new console, thats releasing there biggest franchises.

Yeah I wonder why there is so little supply in Japan when it seems to be more or less available in most other countries. The stores here have a ton of space for Switch but nothing to sell?

I would have ordered one from Europe already if it weren't for the price difference (about 250 euros in Japan).

It's been tough to get one here in Canada...I think it's available now if you are a Amazon Prime member but other than that it's usually sold out.

Supply more than meets demand in Scandinavia, just to give an example. I could see it being hard to get in Japan and the Americas.

Same here in the Iberian Peninsula. All e-stores I find in my go-to price comparison website have them in stock.

Same here in the Iberian Peninsula. All e-stores I find in my go-to price comparison website have them in stock.

What is the sales potential in these areas? We would need to know lifetime sales for the PS4 and X1 in those territories to get a better sense if they are markets worth mentioning. Of course there will be pockets of areas around the globe where Switch isn't "sold out", but if those markets account for <5% of the global videogame market, who cares.

I am not contesting the idea that limited supply makes it tougher to get a clear picture, selling less than 2 million units for the quarter wasn't earth shattering. There certainly is no reason to expect a big decline in Japan. They have thousands of people lining up for the chance to purchase a Switch. They have sold nearly 200k there in the past two weeks. Monster Hunter XX comes out there this month. Splatoon 2 is a huge hit. Here in the US we seem to have similar demand, albeit with a much larger population. Stock remains in short supply, and simply walking into a retailer yields a low chance of snagging a Switch. I think its safe to assume this holiday season will certainly move 3-4 million units with the release of Mario Odyssey. Ending your first year on the market with 12-14 million units sold isn't too shabby.

Capcom is reporting Ultra Street Fighter 2 as a smash hit, and have been very pleased with the sales. The sales are reportedly sitting at 450k, and for a $20 remix of a $20 digital title from the 360, this is pretty promising. They have already prepped Resident Evil Revelations and its sequel will be coming to Switch later this year, and are prepping other titles as well. Ubisoft has commented on how easy it was to port their Snow Drop engine to the Switch, and have more titles to announce later this year. Software support will only continue to improve now that there is a solid userbase that continues to grow at a steady pace. Nintendo having Metroid Prime and the next mainline Pokémon game for 2018 bodes well to sustain momentum. As always time will tell, but currently things look promising.

What is the sales potential in these areas? We would need to know lifetime sales for the PS4 and X1 in those territories to get a better sense if they are markets worth mentioning. Of course there will be pockets of areas around the globe where Switch isn't "sold out", but if those markets account for <5% of the global videogame market, who cares.

Portugal and Spain are typically Playstationlands, but back in H1 2007 you couldn't find a single Wii in the shelves. It's definitely not the same with the Switch.

Capcom is reporting Ultra Street Fighter 2 as a smash hit, and have been very pleased with the sales. The sales are reportedly sitting at 450k, and for a $20 remix of a $20 digital title from the 360, this is pretty promising.
Of course it's a smash hit. They could sell 2k digital copies of the game and it would already pay for the entire 2 man-months they spent on the port.

Software support will only continue to improve now that there is a solid userbase that continues to grow at a steady pace.

Solid userbase? Has it reached even 5 million sales?
I'm looking at a console that's performing about 35% better than the Wii U.
I think the general consensus here is that the console would reach 7-8 million users no matter what. It's how much it sells afterwards that dictates how successful the platform is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, demand-supply ratio is now approaching what it was back in April for the US. Amazon prices is back under 400 USD for the most part lately (380-400 USD range). That's still massively above MSRP, however.

No way to know if it's because demand has slowed slightly or that supply has improved. We'll have to wait for July NPD to see.

Solid userbase? Has it reached even 5 million sales? .

It is now well above 5 million. As of June 30th it had sold 4.7 million units. It's been selling well over 500k a month since launch worldwide.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...obally-in-its-first-four-months/#5e88588c30aa

And that's with chronic supply shortages for the unit. If supply were good enough it could very well be double that. But the reality is that it is severely supply constrained.

Either way it should easily surpass 10 million for the year. If supply can be sorted before the holiday season hits it should easily do 15-20 million for the year.

Regards,
SB

Back