Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

The Gamecube and the Gameboy advance SP, no matter the Ds success I think Nintendo would have been better of sticking on the SP single screen concept.
    Nintendo seems to confuse avoiding the arm race with Sony/MSFT and pushing gimmick.
    Now on the move Wii game play seems completely out of place if not ridiculous. When on the go you can only use the handheld in its "standard" (all together) shape. The Joy-con in insulation do not provide the same input as when linked the joy-grip or the console, it is bothering.
    If you play at home the console won't bring you much more than the WiiU.

Now they have to bury the DS line to make the disaster complete, I wonder how they will pull that one...

2. fehu

Veteran Regular

So if just once they fail...

3. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

The main issue as a handheld is that it is not pocketable and whereas I am for tiered offering for that market, basic model should be pocketable. Phones are sure to have the play time if they are the only device around.
    I can't see how this can trigger impulse buy like the Wii did, parents are happy with cheap tablets to keep the kids busy on the go. It is an expensive handheld and clearly price has been holding the 3DS sales.

4. Strange

Veteran

What do you think they've learned?
    I personally don't really see any lessons learned, and, in fact, they're making even more mistakes from WiiU.

Shoujoboy likes this.
  5. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

And with that, the worst is they will kill the 3DS too I guess (no more Big N games on it since the switch is THE new dev plateforme ? )... Their only successful console right now...

6. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I bet they used frog DNA to fill in the missing gene sequences.

7. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Well the name is better !

8. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

So... that might get interesting ! ;)

9. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

I still want a futur "Nintendo Ultra 64", just for the heck of it. Or "Project Reality"

10. CaffeinatedChris

Newcomer

The 3DS family is selling well right now, they certainly don't want to Osborne-effect the thing.

Bingo. What would have been a creative approach to this would have been finding a way to leverage the 3DS library somehow - the pre-launch rumors that the Switch would accept 3DS cards would have been huge, but I don't think they found a way around the dual-screen issue. Though to be fair, my tablet does fine in vertical orientation with an external controller running DraStic.

11. Exophase

Veteran

I think it'd be okay for most games even with a side by side configuration, with varying different positioning and scaling options.

If Wikipedia is right, 3DS's original dimensions were 3.53" diagonal for top screen and 3.02" for bottom. That works out to only about 3.03x1.82" and 2.42x1.82" (can anyone confirm it was really this small? I have to go grab my 3DS..). Switch @ 6.2" diagonal would be 5.32x3.19".

Scaled to 800x480 the top screen would take up 3.33x2.12", so a bit larger than the original 3DS and I think around the size of n3DS (not the XLs). The bottom screen won't fit scaled the same way, but with a fractional 1.5x scaling would take up 480x360 and 2.0x1.6", a little smaller than the original. In practice I think people won't care that much about the bottom screen because its usage was very secondary, and I think fewer 3DS games moved stuff between the two than DS games because they weren't the same size/aspect ratio.

At least it's not another respin of Gecko with Flipper jammed in there somewhere. And they've probably abandoned Renesas as a manufacturing partner. Maybe less dependent on lagging Japanese suppliers all around now.

The tech is still a little old, but this time "just" by about 1.5-2 years. 3DS and Wii U were both at least 5 years behind.

The Wuupad was not a good idea, now if they really must have the feature in some game they can do it with multiple Switches without saddling everyone with the additional cost for a feature that rarely rises above an added novelty. If you wanted to move a Wii U to some other place you had to drag the Wuupad around with you, while here you can package everything up in the dock. Not that I think people are really going to move something like this around much.

The split JoyCons look like lousy controllers but at least it supports two players out of the box. It's not like Wii U where they actually included a pack-in game that had couch multiplayer that required a Motion Plus that wasn't bundled with the system.

Actually the whole configuration of Wii U with old Wii controllers and accessories was a mess. Nintendo is giving mixed signals about its intended direction with motion controls, but at least they've got a coherent and easy to manage set of hardware for the purpose.

#351 Exophase, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  12. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Let's not get carried away here. As of 30 September 2016, all models of the 3DS had sold 61 million which puts it behind the Sony PSP. At around 5.5 years into it's life the 3DS is lagging behind the DS which sold 100 million is under five years of being on market and 154 million at the last report in 2015.

61 million isn't to be sniffed at but it's a dwindling market, being eroded by phones and tablets, upon which Nintendo cannot rely.

BRiT likes this.
  13. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

How expensive would that be?! Isn't that PS4+PSVR territory?

BRiT likes this.
  14. Rangers

Legend

3DS had a bit of a resurgence lately though. Weirdly.

It would seem to me there's a place for a cheap (er) dedicated handheld...that place is, gifts for kids!

Switch may benefit from that but I believe it's a bit expensive for that market.

15. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

16. Shoujoboy

Newcomer

I don't know if this belongs in the tech thread or if it belongs in here but is it
    me or do a lot of these games basically look like Wii U titles ? Do titles like
    Xenoblade 2 or Mario Odyssey look like huge improvements over 3D World
    or Xenoblade Chronicles X ?

Wouldn't it have been better to keep the Wii U, push the Switch as the 3DS's successor
    and give us much better dual releases ? Because to be honest they already dipped their
    toes in this with Smash 4, why not have the Switch be their "ps4 pro" or "Scorpio" relative
    to the Wii U ?

17. Rangers

Legend

What would that accomplish? Wii U sales are near nil...

About Borderlands 3 Switch

Yikes...not the best for Nintendo's already poor reputation for dealing with 3rd parties

#357 Rangers, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Shoujoboy and BRiT like this.
  18. Exophase

Veteran

The point is that Nintendo failed to capitalize on the Wuupad functionality meaning that it was never anything more than a nice extra novelty feature. That's the kind of thing you can give to people with multiple Switches as a bonus because that's all it's good for. Not something you'd actually make games require.

Nintendo is actually promoting the ability to do multiplayer between multiple Switches. I doubt it'll catch on very much.

19. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

I liked Pitchford's the talks stopped "for some reason.." comment.

BL1, BL2 and the Presequel I think are all on the Shield, so Gearbox should be familiar with the basic hardware in the Switch.

20. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

And they're all out on the X360 and PS3 so they should have old enough engines to use as a base for Switch, but then reasons.

RancidLunchmeat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.