Nintendo Revolution Controller- Weird to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azrael said:
uhhhhhhhhh
Quoted for truth. :???:

Extremely bizarre. I dunno, maybe Nintendo's been too smart for its own good (again, just like with the VB). I feel very sceptical about this. Yet, it sort of appeals to me also in a strange way.

The minimalistic design is very japanese though, and also very nordic. It pulls at me from that sense.

I haven't seen anything this impressive since the Power Glove!

Now I can finally use all of those skills developed while channel surfing to improve my gaming experience.

That was sarcasm, right? I'm not quite sure, but I think it was.

:D

I can't wait to see what the Penny Arcade guys have to say about this thing. My bet is they'll either spitroast it over open flame or fall on their knees and worship it like a deity...

In fact, I think that's the reactions most people will have upon seeing this thing. Funny, I just recalled I lambasted both Sony and MS for coming up with a pair of such excruciatingly boring controllers for their consoles, yet when someone does something different, almost everybody immediately poo-poos the idea. "Yes, we wanted something different, but not THAT!"

Are we just a bunch of sheep, all of us? Can't we understand innovation when we see it, have we become so conservative and used to now ancient ideas we simply can't comprehend something new? I dunno, it seems so. Maybe people will change their opinion once they try this controller. Maybe I will change my mind and immediately hate it, I'm not sure. :D

We should all just wait and see I guess.

Guden Oden said:
Are we just a bunch of sheep, all of us? Can't we understand innovation when we see it, have we become so conservative and used to now ancient ideas we simply can't comprehend something new?

How easily people have forgotten that the ancient ideas we've all become so used to, were all revolutionary once - and that it was Nintendo who brought them to us. D-pads, sholder buttons, analog sticks, controller vibration, wireless controllers... all brought to us by Nintendo. It's ironic to see people say, "Why can't Nintendo just give us a normal controller, like Sony and MS?" when Sony's and MS's controllers wouldn't be what they are today without Nintendo. In fact, they'd probably look a bit more like this:

2600.jpg

So kudos to Nintendo for doing what they've always done - making gaming better for us all.

I think this controller has incredible potential. We'll see how it does with games.

But if you think about it, Nintendo is really trying to branch out to non-gamers. Alot of people are intimidated by current controllers (nongamers), 10 buttons, combos, etc. It can be overwhelming. When I was growing up my NES and TurboGrafx16 had two buttons. Thats all I needed. Games weren't that complicated and in my opinion more fun. I don't touch FPS on consoles because the interfaces aren't very good imo, nor any fighting games because unless you master a gizallion button sequences its not fun.

Everyone knows how to uses a TV remote, even Grandma or your 4 year old kid. Therefore, everyone should be able to use this to play some sort of game. MS thinks that they will develop an online community with Xbox360, but its not going to happen with an interface like their current gamepad.

Nintendo is definitely going in a different direction, I like it alot. I think they will be very successful. Hardcore gamers might not like it, but do we really need three systems that are virtually identical?

There was a recent article from an analyst looking at takings from different game sectors. The findings basically that where the hardcore gamers might be outnumbered by social and casual gamers, they stumped up far more cash for the industry. The analyst went on to question if seeking to attract the casual gamer would be a smart financial move. I don't have a link. I thought it was at GI.biz but I couldn't find it there.

It's a brave move to focus on an unproven market. The closest comparative is the casual mobile market, but the development costs for mobile games are miniscule meaning profits are high. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo are right or not.

Shifty Geezer said:
There was a recent article from an analyst looking at takings from different game sectors. The findings basically that where the hardcore gamers might be outnumbered by social and casual gamers, they stumped up far more cash for the industry. The analyst went on to question if seeking to attract the casual gamer would be a smart financial move. I don't have a link. I thought it was at GI.biz but I couldn't find it there.

It's a brave move to focus on an unproven market. The closest comparative is the casual mobile market, but the development costs for mobile games are miniscule meaning profits are high. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo are right or not.

Well, I think Nintendo just did the impossible: They created their own niche... again.

Think about it--this is a *different* gaming experience. It is interactive and fun (if it works). So looking at Rev we have

-Unique control input that encourages interaction and movement
-Old school gaming by downloading their massive collection
-Online play

Nintendo has a strong support base. Obviously that has eroded some because, quite frankly, people can get basically the same gaming experience on Sony and MS platforms. Not anymore!

It is very concievable to own a PS3/360 and Rev because they are different.

If Nintendo launches at a solid price ($200?) and can church out enough 1st party software that really makes a good go of it I think they can be VERY profitable... yet again.

From a business perspective it is gold in some ways. They know their platform may be smaller, but it is unique and the games they have should sell even better. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Party, Mario Tennis/BaseBall/Golf, etc... all have a new life.

I think this product will appeal to Nintendo fans--who like innovation--and also to parents with children. Nintendo has a family friendly image, add in a playstyle that is active and fun... I think it kind of breaks away from the "teenage boy in dark room in front of TV" mold to the "party game" type feel.

Now I don't plan to get a Rev because it wont have the games I personally want and I don't believe the HW will be as competitive as I would like (yes, I am a hardware addict), but I have a better opinion of Rev now than before.

*If* the controller works, and works well, and Nintendo can get it out the door with a solid number of innovative titles that are really good I think they will be just fine. They wont be competing with Sony for the market lead, but I think they will still be at the top in profits. And as a company that is what matters.

Oh, and it seems Ubi, THQ, and EA are behind it to a degree. EA mentioned how their sports titles would be ported first most likely. Football, baseball, and racing games should work really well with it.

SE, Konami, SEGA are behind it too. I'm pretty sure Capcom and Namco will follow shortly if they haven't already done so unofficially. I think Nintendo has a very appealing product and will get many people curious and interested in owning one.

McHuj said:
MS thinks that they will develop an online community with Xbox360, but its not going to happen with an interface like their current gamepad.

Your post made sense until you wrote that. What was Live about? Isnt there a Halo community? Please dont pick on MS in a Nintendo thread where it has no relevance.

I think it would be cool if Nintendo bundles a few of their old games with the Rev that could support the controller. Games like Duck Hunt and those weird SNES games that supported the bazooka! (And of course Zelda for the GC)

I've said before I see Revolution as being the second console. If it works and there's nothing comparable on the rivals I might well get one two. Though how much are these controllers gonna cost? Four player party games might be prohibitively expensive! And multiplayer would also benefit from large screens, which'd want HDTV is possible.

1up.com did a writeup on it, (they actually got to use it). They seemed to have surprisingly positive things to say about it, which is surprising because they don't usually seem to dig Nintendo's stuff.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

And I would say that, at least with the white one, Apple would be the more appropriate design reference, not Japanese minimalists. And if the ipod is still hot next year, I would say this will sell pretty well: "Look, that sooooooo matches my ipod! I've gotta get it!".

It should open to some very interesting games having features like this.

But it’s what you don’t see on the surface of this controller that makes it special, and reason enough Nintendo opted to hold the release of the design back from the public until it could be effectively demonstrated, and not easily replicated by its competitors. As oft speculated, the controller does feature built-in motion sensing--combined with a point-and-click functionality (think light gun technology), this controller has the highly unique ability to sense depth and motion

Now bring up the games :D :D :D

IMO if this really works as good as it looks on video - nintendo will outsell everything else next gen, and PS4 will have something similar to catch up :)

A think a fair deal of what's possible with the Rev's controller is also possible with EyeToy, if what we've been hearing is to be believed. The LOD demo showed manipulation o fobjects in 3D which proves depth sensing. Point and click isn't so obviously implemented but I'm not sure that's a huge deal. though getting EyeToy to work in multiplayer might be impossible. Vertanly other examples like the 'maneouvring a plane' are possible with camera based 'augmented reality' type technologies.

Guden Oden said:
That was sarcasm, right? I'm not quite sure, but I think it was.

:D

Yes, it was :)

Guden Oden said:
Funny, I just recalled I lambasted both Sony and MS for coming up with a pair of such excruciatingly boring controllers for their consoles, yet when someone does something different, almost everybody immediately poo-poos the idea. "Yes, we wanted something different, but not THAT!"

It's not different, it's a clone of TV/VCR/DVD remote controls. Shitty DVD games have been using it as a controller for years. If there's one thing that turns me off to consoles more than anything else, it's stupid design ideas done in the name of "accessibility". My grandmother doesn't play games, and making a controller she might be familiar with won't change that. The game market grows with time, not gimmicks, because those of us who grew up with games become the older demographic as the years pass, replacing the people who aren't gamers. Grown ups who want to play games are already familiar with how to work game controllers, and children learn faster than anyone.

As for Sony and MS using "boring" controller styles... I think that's more of a case of "if it's not broke, don't fuck it up". Sony and MS have been refining and evolving the Super Nintendo controller, and Nintendo themselves had to go back to that style for the GCN after they made a mess out of the N64 controller. It's possible Nintendo decided that they can't compete with Sony and MS for the real gamers, and the only way they can stay afloat is to expand to non-gamers with a non-gaming system. That might keep them in business, but it's not going to draw me back.

But ergonomics aside, I also have questions about how well it will perform. Does the current Japanese model conform to FCC regulations? If so, does it use unrestricted air space? Will a cell phone or microwave oven disrupt your gaming? How long will the battery/batteries last? Will it use standard AA/9V, or will it be a permanent rechargeable? if it's rechargeable, where's the recharger? Will there just be a wall adapter you plug into the new expnansion interface?

Druga Runda said:
IMO if this really works as good as it looks on video - nintendo will outsell everything else next gen, and PS4 will have something similar to catch up :)

Their is a video ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back