Nintendo President 2nd GDC Keynote Speaker

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by AzBat, Feb 7, 2005.

1. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

2. GwymWeepa

Regular

Hmm, sounds very interesting.

3. Goldni

Regular

Wow that was unexpected. When is GDC? Ninty never shows up for that. This could be something big!?

4. Teasy

Veteran

Megaton!.. sorry :lol:

5. Blade

Veteran

MEGATON!!!!!!111111

Nintendo is going to buy Microsoft, to get to the hearts of gamers everywhere. That's what he means! Woot!

6. passerby

Regular

I look into my crystal ball...
    "...gamers don't want long complicated games... blah blah blah.... prefer short and simple... blah blah blah..."

:twisted:

OK, maybe for my own selfish reasons I agree a little. That's my preference.

7. Magnum PI

Veteran

you forgot:

gamers don't care about graphics... sound.. etc..

online isn't important (stance that will change when next nintendo console will have built-in network)

8. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

You guys were doing a good job of mocking actual statements until this one. Nintendo never said online wasn't important; what they have said is they do not currently see it as a viable platform to earn money and has hurdles that make it less vital at this time. They have always said that when online becomes "big" they will be there (although I think that is a mistake on their part, but oh well).

Nintendo is correct in some ways. Many games require additional support from the developer, a month-to-month subscription model has not made a big splash yet with mainstream consumers (I know I wont pay $15 a month for a game on top of the $50 I pay for it!!!!), and a lot of people still don't have broadband and WONT over the next 5years in the US.

So I think Nintendo possibly going with built-in (wireless?) networking is consistant with their concerns. What I think they have missed is that "On-line is cool" and appeals to hard core and adult gamers. Online gaming is an olivebranch in some ways. Another thing is that Online gaming is becoming a check-box item that will matter. e.g. I am a long time Nintendo customer. But my next gen console(s) will need online support because I like multiplayer games more than singleplayer. Now that my area has cable, which I have, there is no reason not to get an online enabled console.

9. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

IIRC, the designer of LOZ: Wind Waker showed up at GDC 2004.

10. Magnum PI

Veteran

sorry it's it my strong anti-nintendo feeling which makes me say baad things.

11. Li Mu Bai

Regular

*Cough, cough* if true many will eat crow:

Albeit not conventional, it *is* a free service. Imagine that gents.

12. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

Who is "many" and why would they eat crow? And if the rumors turn out to be false will YOU be the one eating crow?

13. Li Mu Bai

Regular

Those that are continously saying "Nintendo isn't going online." Despite the DS is going to do so, & despite that NOA has openly stated that they were working on creating a "wireless console gaming community." Not LAN, not tunneling. And yes, if it turns out that they have no plans to pursuit this community, I will indeed eat crow.

14. cybamerc

Veteran

You do realize that that info is fake?

15. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

Hmm, I don't recall anyone (here at least) saying that Nintendo WASN'T going online. Many have chided Nintendo for NOT going online with GCN but that's very different than predicting that they would eschew it completely with their next gen platform.

You weren't around when the rumors about the Gameboy Player being a network device that used cellular technology but we went through a whole slew of issues it would need to surmount. I'm not saying the rumors are wrong but I remain unconvinced ATM.

16. Li Mu Bai

Regular

I hadn't heard official confirmation one way or the other on that, but you're quite reliable so thanks. I said as much in a thread here (the 5.4GB disc capacity, etc.) My initial post regarding the info:

Regardless, NOA's statement still stands.