Nintendo Plan Aquisitions

Teasy

Veteran
From IGN:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/504/504558p1.html

Could Microsoft be swallowed whole?

April 06, 2004 - Nintendo may have a big corporate shopping list, the Toyo Keizai Newspaper reveals. In comments with the paper, Nintendo executives revealed that the company hopes to acquire key technologies for its conventional businesses ahead of competitors. To do so, Nintendo will go so far as to actually purchase other companies using its abundant investment resources.

While specifics on what key technologies Nintendo requires weren't made clear to the paper, it's reasonable to assume that this is all in connection with upcoming videogame hardware. Unless, of course, Nintendo is planning a return to the playing card field.

Yeah I know there isn't much info there. But I just wondered if anyone had heard anything else about this? Who might they acquire? Anyone have any idea?.. or wild speculation? :)

P.S. Obviously the MS comment was tongue in cheek. So please don't dwell on it MS fans.

I wouldn't mind having some Nintendo in me. Don't know if there are any serious talks about it as Sammy seems pretty intent on keeping us.

I can't remember if I've said this here or not, but I don't want either MS or Nintendo to buy Sega. Sega's doing fine as a multi-platform developer. Edit:

I wouldn't mind having some Nintendo in me.

I know what you mean by that, but it sounds sick, even though it isn't. ;) j/k

Well, it would be bad to have Nintendo in us now that I think about it. Instead of having yearly to 18 month development cycles we would get 36 month dev cycles and the amount of games put out would be far too little. I really think SEGA needs to remain as independent as possible (Sammy seems to be doing ok with this so far, but I'm sure I will even be surprised at E3) and come back to a profitable company on its own. Anyone who purchases SEGA will probably end up doing no good as it would sort of relieve the fight to stay afloat, and we would probably make Nintendo bankrupt.

Sega is an interesting propersition. I mean personally I think the game quality of Sega has dropped quite a bit since they went multiplatform. But they still produce good games, and of course they still have a very big fanbase. Getting Sega exclusive to there console would give Nintendo a big boost IMO. Also it could benefit the quality of Sega's games. Less games and longer development cycles could improve the quality a good amount. Also I'm sure Nintendo's influence would also do no harm in improving the quality of Sega's games.

Really though I don't think Nintendo will be looking at anyone quite a big as Sega. It'd probably be some devs that are producing some new very promising games. Some bungie-esque type of aquisitions. Or maybe someone like Namco.

Sonic, you say buying Sega would bankrupt Nintendo? I doubt that, unless Sega are supposed to be worth a lot more then I think. After all Nintendo easily have 7 billion dollars in the bank. Although personally I wouldn't bother if it was anything over 600-700 million dollars. Which I suppose it would be.. How much would it take to buy Sega do you think? (wild yet educated guestimate of course).

I didn't mean the purchase would bankrupt Nintendo, they can more than afford it. If they have $7 billion in the bank then that is more than enough for SEGA and a half. What I was saying was that getting SEGA to work at all with another company such as Nintendo would be a chore. It could be beneficial or it could be a curse that no company needs unless they are actually trying to revive SEGA into something of a power (which Sammy wants to do...so far) I don't know what Nintendo would be doing to our compan; leave it alone, tear it apart, integrate it, or assimilate it. I prefer the first option.

A good possibility for Nintendo would be Namco like you stated or maybe even Capcom. I know Nintendo's relationship with Capcom has increased greatly this generation and I could see them investing in Capcom.

I would not want to see Sega swallowed by Nintendo. while Nintendo could easily afford to buy Sega, Sega is probably much too large and expensive for Nintendo, in terms of what Nintendo would be willing to buy.

Capcom, maybe.

but more likely, smaller development houses like Factor 5.

I'm a little confused with the assumption that any key purchases will be a gaming company like Sega or Capcom.....

The blurb on IGN seems to imply, at least to me, that Nintendo's looking to pick up companies, or buy into companies which will be essential on the hardware front.

If they're going for full online capability for their next home console, then buying smaller companies to facillitate that use, i.e. a voice comm program, a matchmaking service like gamespy, or IM style system would make a lot of sense, rather than developing it in house.

It could also be a propriatary format of memory cards, or even an OS to use in the GBA 2 or DS. I don't know if buying into a PalmOS would be worth while if the idea of the DS is truly to branch out as a third pillar of their hardware development.

Might buy up ArtX from ATI? :)

I'd like to see Nintendo buying From Software, Capcom, Namco, or Tecmo, but I don't think they will...

How aobut they just buy ATI? Shows how little I know about ATI's financial status, but hey Nintendo would be the main supplier of Xbox2 GPU's.

Sonic said:
How aobut they just buy ATI? Shows how little I know about ATI's financial status, but hey Nintendo would be the main supplier of Xbox2 GPU's.

I don't really think 6 billion $ will be enough...

However... ATI's market value is $4,184,619,120, so it *might* be possible. Would be a killer move to keep their place, and expand their place on the market.

if Nintendo wanted to buy ArtX, they'd have to buy all of ATI since the ArtX people were somewhat spread around ATI--even though probably the majority of ArtX stayed in California.

Megadrive1988 said:
if Nintendo wanted to buy ArtX, they'd have to buy all of ATI since the ArtX people were somewhat spread around ATI--even though probably the majority of ArtX stayed in California.

Aren't there also some ex-Lockhead-Martin employees at ArtX? :)

at ATI yeah, I thought so, but at ArtX, before ArtX was owned by ATI?
I have no idea.

Well.... I think Dave Orton (who joined ArtX) was once part of GE Aerospace graphics, and GEA graphics got bought by Martin Marietta, and MM merged with Lockheed. so..... ?? there are SOME former LM R3D people at ATI now. ATI did scoop up some of them, and some of their tech.

would really like to see a history on this, where all the LM R3D people ended up at. (some at Nvidia, some at ATI, etc)

While I don't think it's going to happen, I think it would be interesting to see what would happen in a Nintendo-Sega merger. Nintendo would gain in some pretty important areas, like finally getting an exclusive sports series, (which IMO, they need badly to offer something unique to fans of the genre who've migrated to XBox and PS2), as well as an exclusive fighter line, which happens to be the king of fighters in the VF series. Plus, I think having a "Sonic and Mario" game would be hella cool.

Evil_Cloud said:
Sonic said:

I don't really think 6 billion $ will be enough...

However... ATI's market value is $4,184,619,120, so it *might* be possible. Would be a killer move to keep their place, and expand their place on the market.

It would be an hilarious move, since it pretty much make all the N doomsdayers eat their words very quickly. Imagine a minority console maker owning the GPU properties of two out of three console manufacturers! Would probably make the next gen fascinating.

Not going to happen, but it's fun to think about.

I would say Matrix Semiconductor because they already own some shares in that company...

It wouldn't cost that much maybe a few million dollars.

Back