Nintendo patent...not sure what to make of it.

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
Obviously emulation but whats the goal? A format where you buy a game and it runs on a portable and a home console?

Abstract
A game system includes a first game machine which operates according to a first architecture and, a second game machine which operates according to a second architecture different from the first architecture and has a processing capability lower than that of the first game machine. A game information storage medium stores, in addition to a first game program executable on the first game machine, a second game program executable on the second game machine and an emulator program that converts the second architecture into the first architecture. When a predetermined condition is satisfied while a first game according to the first game program is being executed on the first game machine, it is possible to execute a second game according to the second game program using the emulator program.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...&OS=Graphics+Hudson+Japan&RS=Graphics

So certain combinations of games unlock new games? Say Zelda Gamboy + Zelda Gamecube when connected all together to a third machine will allow for a new game to get unlocked?

[0027] Then, the first game machine reads-out, based on the delivering program, from the game information storage medium the second emulator program and at least one second game program, and writes the same into the second memory when the selection state is detected and it is detected that the third game machine and the first game machine are connected to each other, thereby executing the second game program on the third game machine based on the second emulation program, rendering playable a game dependent on the second game program on the third game machine.

Nintendo is releasing something in 2004 that "compliments" GC and GBA....

this might be an interesting year for the big N

maybe a pokemon linkup cable (wireles or some sort..)

this patent has a lot of yogi bearnes in it :LOL:

Gamecube 2 . It will be a portable gamecube with the ability to emulate gameboy games . It will be able to use both formats gba and gb games and of course gamecube games .

It makes the most sense . It also wont be a new system and it wont compete against the gba . It will slowly phase out the gba .

hey69 said:
maybe a pokemon linkup cable (wireles or some sort..)

this patent has a lot of yogi bearnes in it :LOL:

A real pikachu that talks, dances, falls,... when you turn on you GameCube. THAT I'd like to see. :LOL:

I don't have too high hopes for this, guys..

as it has been said before, it's probably just some lame pokemon thing that connects to the GC and GBA..

This is what Connect-e-vision is. I'm just stumped as to what they're trying to do with it.

Is it going to be another semi-useless peripheral like the E-Reader, or something bigger?

(not to knock the E-Reader, it's a swell idea but Nintendo's done little with it)

Well, from what I can make of it, sounds like it could apply to Animal Crossing.
It has NES games within it, that can be played without interuppting the original game(stuff will still happen in animal crossing) and it allows you to download new games via the e-reader.

I haven't played Animal Crossing, but based on what I read from others, this patent is about emulating NES games on GBA.... Basically the patent says GameCube game will upload an emulator and a ROM image to GBA for emulation.

Shit, I am dissapointed.

jvd said:
Gamecube 2 . It will be a portable gamecube with the ability to emulate gameboy games . It will be able to use both formats gba and gb games and of course gamecube games .

It makes the most sense . It also wont be a new system and it wont compete against the gba . It will slowly phase out the gba .

How does that make the most sense? Why would you phase out the GBA when it's doing sooooo well? That doesn't make any sense imo (phasing out what is doing so well and is still in it's relative infancy).

Ty said:
jvd said:

How does that make the most sense? Why would you phase out the GBA when it's doing sooooo well? That doesn't make any sense imo (phasing out what is doing so well and is still in it's relative infancy).

because the new handheld will be able to play all of the gba games . While also playing games the gba could never dream of . Devs could still make gba games for both the new system and the old gbas and eventually once the new system base is high they will be able to just make the new system.

This makes more sense than launching a system that can't play any gba games to some day replace it . ALl they will do is compete against each other . Also a hand held is the last place your going to want not only new hardware in it but also older tech to play the old games. So they do it through emulation to save money .

jvd said:
because the new handheld will be able to play all of the gba games . While also playing games the gba could never dream of . Devs could still make gba games for both the new system and the old gbas and eventually once the new system base is high they will be able to just make the new system.

This makes more sense than launching a system that can't play any gba games to some day replace it . ALl they will do is compete against each other . Also a hand held is the last place your going to want not only new hardware in it but also older tech to play the old games. So they do it through emulation to save money .

So Nintendo, who is VERY conscious of battery life (Isn't this why the GBA didn't come with a backlight?) is going to make a GCN portable that runs mini dvds? I frankly don't think it's possible as this stage. Nintendo is not the forerunner in the technology department and all of a sudden they're going to shoot to the front? Let's just say I have my doubts about your guess.

Your last paragragh is why they've stated it will work hand in hand with both the GCN and GBA. This does not mean it has to replace one or the other.

Back