Ninja Gaiden 3

patsu

Legend
TGS 2011: Ninja Gaiden 3 online multiplayer announced, plus new trailer and screens:
http://www.gamesradar.com/tgs-2011-...layer-announced-plus-new-trailer-and-screens/

At its pre-TGS event in Shibuya, Tokyo, Team Ninja just announced that Ninja Gaiden 3 will feature online multiplayer for up to eight players with both cooperative and competitive modes. While we didn't see any actual gameplay, the developers gave us a handful of details to give us an idea of what we can expect.

The theme of NG3's multiplayer is "World of ninjas," and as you might expect, everyone plays as a ninja and each ninja challenges other ninjas to become the world's top ninja. No specifics were given about the actual modes, but we're told that there will be a mix of both co-op and versus, and that ambitious aspiring ninjas will even have a chance to challenge Ryu Hayabusa himself. Ninja Gaiden 3 has a strong focus on story this time, and it sounds like even the multiplayer will reflect that in some way, with a dash of ninja-style drama like the ability to betray your ninja comrades.

Dismemberment?

The dismemberment was a big contributor to the gorgeous ballet of death that was NG2

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1189256p1.html

In Ninja Gaiden II, decapitating enemies and slicing off their arms and legs didn't just feel satisfying -- it was an important tactic for slowing them down and buying yourself time. This feature has been removed for Ninja Gaiden 3. Why? Because we don't want to see that anymore, apparently.

"We don't think people want to see that anymore," a member of developer Team Ninja told us at Gamescom today. "They've already seen it."

We are told Ninja Gaiden III is all about killing human beings. Team Ninja wants you to experience the feeling of your sword entering a person's body, hitting bone, and slicing through the torso. It wants these actions to feel realistic to the player, but that might be at odds with the fact that, in real life, heads and arms do come off.

Probably more work to finetune the rumble. :devilish:

Demon's Souls has pretty good impact feedback from the combat.

PS Move has weaker rumble (I think). Will be interesting to see how they transfer the stronger gamepad feel over.

Ninja's still fighting with a arm cut off is realistic? Wasn't dismemberment a N2 feature only I don't remember it in xbox Ninja Gaiden(remember decapatations only).

"Realistic" and "Ninja Gaiden" can never go together. The game is just about fun, combo-based combat mechanics, to which dismemberment added a lot. Their whole "seen before" argument when it comes to dismemberment is inane. Why not go the extra mile and ditch the whole game? They want to make the player feel as if he's cutting through bone and we even see Ryu's sword cutting through metal, and yet it can't remove the enemy's limbs?

That is not even the main problem, seeing as the first game didn't have dismemberment and was truly great. To me they're doing a couple of things that are just alien to the core gameplay found in previous Ninja Gaiden games. One of them is QTEs and their focus on slow motion finishers. They just break the combat tempo and the player's ability to chain long combos. The other is the focus on the sword. I don't think they've announced any other weapons, which is really disappointing. The falcon claws, the tonfas and the scythe were part of what made NG2's combat great and hugely varied. Removing them is a clear mistake.

I get Hayashi wants to set himself apart from Itagaki, but that's not the way of doing it. He had a chance to improve on the areas which were lacking in Ninja Gaiden 2, mostly level design, environments and enemy encounters, but he's apparently decided to fix what wasn't broken, which was the combat itself. Also, the focus on story in a Ninja Gaiden game is ridiculous. NG games have always been over-the-top and as cheesy as they get, and people love them just the same. Nobody's is suddenly going to care about the story in a NG game.

I reckon they just want to make "cutting people feels more err.... meaty" rather than being more realistic.

Yeah well, technically, it should be:

Meat -> bone -> meat. So the rumble should feel fleshy, boney and then fleshy again. :LOL:

I don't know what's worse, the decline of Ninja Gaiden or DMC?

I wonder when Team Ninja is going to get off the shadow of Itigaki, although the new DOA5 looks promising. (Metroid doesn't count)

How about something original for a change.

"Realistic" and "Ninja Gaiden" can never go together. The game is just about fun, combo-based combat mechanics, to which dismemberment added a lot. Their whole "seen before" argument when it comes to dismemberment is inane. Why not go the extra mile and ditch the whole game? They want to make the player feel as if he's cutting through bone and we even see Ryu's sword cutting through metal, and yet it can't remove the enemy's limbs?

That is not even the main problem, seeing as the first game didn't have dismemberment and was truly great. To me they're doing a couple of things that are just alien to the core gameplay found in previous Ninja Gaiden games. One of them is QTEs and their focus on slow motion finishers. They just break the combat tempo and the player's ability to chain long combos. The other is the focus on the sword. I don't think they've announced any other weapons, which is really disappointing. The falcon claws, the tonfas and the scythe were part of what made NG2's combat great and hugely varied. Removing them is a clear mistake.

I get Hayashi wants to set himself apart from Itagaki, but that's not the way of doing it. He had a chance to improve on the areas which were lacking in Ninja Gaiden 2, mostly level design, environments and enemy encounters, but he's apparently decided to fix what wasn't broken, which was the combat itself. Also, the focus on story in a Ninja Gaiden game is ridiculous. NG games have always been over-the-top and as cheesy as they get, and people love them just the same. Nobody's is suddenly going to care about the story in a NG game.

My realistic comment was in response to the post I replied to. I've been playing NG since the NES days so I know realism was never a goal for the series. I just think the whole dismemberment thing looks a little cheesy and mostly cosmetic imo.

I don't know what's worse, the decline of Ninja Gaiden or DMC?

I wonder when Team Ninja is going to get off the shadow of Itigaki, although the new DOA5 looks promising. (Metroid doesn't count)

How about something original for a change.

Do Ninja games ever approach the imagination of Ninja manga ? There are some wacky Ninjutsu ideas in Ninja movies too. But when it comes to Ninja games, it's usually just speed, chops, and smoke screen. :(

Granted, I haven't played many Ninja games. :oops:

Do Ninja games ever approach the imagination of Ninja manga ? There are some wacky Ninjutsu ideas in Ninja movies too. But when it comes to Ninja games, it's usually just speed, chops, and smoke screen. :(

Granted, I haven't played many Ninja games. :oops:

Nope, they never do approach the imagination of the mangas. I'd be up for something like that, but don't call it Ninja Gaiden.

What set Ninja Gaiden apart this/last gen was the frenetic pace and that every enemy could be deadly and not just the sub/main bosses....oh and hot females.

So far it looks good, but I'm really hating what I've seen of the game play.
I'm not buying the vision of trying to feel what it feels like to cut through flesh and bone. The post-Itigaki team just seems to be the second string without original ideas that didn't follow the Master-Ninja's direction.

I'd have more respect for them if they will come up with totally new IP with new ideas and gameplay. So far, all they can do is "refine" what didn't need to be refined while adding things that don't need to be added (QTE-like slow-mo action) that slows down what is supposed to be an action game.

Cant agree more, Hayashi is taking the whole thing at a wrong direction. Base on the footage we've got, he had done two major things so far:

1.fuck up the fluent combat with slowmo and QTE, and further destory the fast paced gameplay with stealth kill, wall crawing, etc.

2.focus on things we simply dont care in a NG game, say like story, and "realisim".

and in this trailer, an enemy beging for life? think about lifes you take? for me NG is about weapon and flesh, iron and blood. All these "morality conlict" and drama just almost make it feel like...sissy

Cant agree more, Hayashi is taking the whole thing at a wrong direction. Base on the footage we've got, he had done two major things so far:

1.fuck up the fluent combat with slowmo and QTE, and further destory the fast paced gameplay with stealth kill, wall crawing, etc.

2.focus on things we simply dont care in a NG game, say like story, and "realisim".

and in this trailer, an enemy beging for life? think about lifes you take? for me NG is about weapon and flesh, iron and blood. All these "morality conlict" and drama just almost make it feel like...sissy

iirc NG(NES) was the first game to feature cinematics:rolleyes:

Whelp, they need to offer something for noobs in the gameplay department; or like NRP, I probably can't play it. ^_^

Not so keen on decapitation (God of War 3 head pulling made me go ewwww)

Whelp, they need to offer something for noobs in the gameplay department; or like NRP, I probably can't play it. ^_^

Not so keen on decapitation (God of War 3 head pulling made me go ewwww)

The decaps are quick and very different from GOW3. It's a quick slash and done rather than a drawn out QTW cinematic.

NG2 was vastly inferior to NG:B for a lot of reasons. Looks ilke the downward spiral is continuing.

A few more games and they'll have pulled a full on Sonic with this series (one good 3D game followed by a string of increasingly terrible trash).

Back