Ninja Gaiden 1.1 - lame patch, or revolutionary concept?

Which is it?

• Revolutionary free 'upgrade' with genuine intent to challenge the hardcore gamer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
Eh, I'll just rip it all:

IGN said:
June 23, 2004 - As if Ninja Gaiden needed to get any better, Team Ninja's stellar action title is getting some renovations in early August. In conjunction with the Master Ninja Tournament, Tecmo is releasing Ninja Gaiden 1.1, downloadable over Xbox Live for free. All you need is a Live subscription, a copy of Ninja Gaiden, and the desire to kill again.

Ninja Gaiden 1.1 will be used for the second round of the Master Ninja Tournament, but can also be used offline without any need to ever touch the popular online tournament. Once downloaded, you'll need to start a brand new game to enjoy all of the improvements to Ninja Gaiden.
And oh those improvements. Check out everything Ninja Gaiden 1.1 has to offer:

New Enemies: As you can see in the latest screenshots, there are a few new, mammoth enemies added throughout the levels. There are no new levels, but just imagine some of those old areas now having all new, tougher baddies. And, from what we hear, there are more enemies than what we seen in the screens.

New Bosses: As if new enemies weren't enough, there will also be some new bosses. The story and structure of Ninja Gaiden will not change, so it's anyone's guess where these bosses may show up. They could replace old bosses or be added on top of previous boss battles. We don't know the particulars, but we can promise that they will be tougher than what you've previously faced. Oh crap.

New Weapons: There are three new weapons available in 1.1. From what we understand, they will likely be available in the shop during the course of the game, but it's possible that one or more of them may be hidden in the game or earned from defeating bosses. The Bo Staff is featured prominently in the new screens, but don't worry, we'll have info on all three new weapons soon enough.

Improved AI: Ninja Gaiden creator Tomonobu Itagaki wanted to add some extra challenge to an already difficult game, so the AI has been improved to make all enemies smarter. Expect an even greater challenge, no matter what difficulty setting you choose.

New Camera: Now we get into what makes Ninja Gaiden 1.1 a landmark Xbox Live download. Hearing the complaints of fans, Itagaki redid Gaiden's camera. You'll now have full 360 degree control of the camera. The camera will also be smarter, so you shouldn't have to worry about it being in too close or at the wrong angle when in a fight.

Action Engine: How do you improve Ninja Gaiden? Make it faster. Yes, you heard that right. When you download Ninja Gaiden 1.1, you'll get all of the above improvements, plus an upgraded engine that makes the action even faster. What will be faster? Everything. Ryu, the enemies, and most importantly the combat. All of it will come quicker requiring even greater reflexes. Think back to what it was like playing the "slow" version of Ninja Gaiden and imagine tossing shurikens while running along walls and battling four of those annoying brown ninjas at once. Now speed that up. Hear that sound? That's your brain about to explode.

Ninja Gaiden 1.1 will be available in early August for Xbox Live subscribers who own a copy of the original game. An exact date and details on the second round of the Master Ninja Tournament are forthcoming, but remember that there's absolutely no need to be a participant in the tournament in order to enjoy Ninja Gaiden 1.1.

We'll have more on Ninja Gaiden 1.1 and the Master Ninja Tournament very soon. And if you're wondering if this is it for Ninja Gaiden downloadable content, keep in mind that there is a third round of the Master Ninja Tournament still to come. Could we see Ninja Gaiden 1.2? We sure hope so.

So, what do you guys think? Lame PC-like patch sugar coated with extras? Or a genuine 'upgrade' for the hardcore amongst us?

I vote the later, what say you?

(btw, if you haven't played Ninja Gaiden and thus haven't seen how brutally challenging yet rewarding it can be, I don't think you can see the appeal and intent behind this).

zurich said:
Eh, I'll just rip it all:

IGN said:
June 23, 2004 - As if Ninja Gaiden needed to get any better, Team Ninja's stellar action title is getting some renovations in early August. In conjunction with the Master Ninja Tournament, Tecmo is releasing Ninja Gaiden 1.1, downloadable over Xbox Live for free. All you need is a Live subscription, a copy of Ninja Gaiden, and the desire to kill again.

Ninja Gaiden 1.1 will be used for the second round of the Master Ninja Tournament, but can also be used offline without any need to ever touch the popular online tournament. Once downloaded, you'll need to start a brand new game to enjoy all of the improvements to Ninja Gaiden.
And oh those improvements. Check out everything Ninja Gaiden 1.1 has to offer:

New Enemies: As you can see in the latest screenshots, there are a few new, mammoth enemies added throughout the levels. There are no new levels, but just imagine some of those old areas now having all new, tougher baddies. And, from what we hear, there are more enemies than what we seen in the screens.

New Bosses: As if new enemies weren't enough, there will also be some new bosses. The story and structure of Ninja Gaiden will not change, so it's anyone's guess where these bosses may show up. They could replace old bosses or be added on top of previous boss battles. We don't know the particulars, but we can promise that they will be tougher than what you've previously faced. Oh crap.

New Weapons: There are three new weapons available in 1.1. From what we understand, they will likely be available in the shop during the course of the game, but it's possible that one or more of them may be hidden in the game or earned from defeating bosses. The Bo Staff is featured prominently in the new screens, but don't worry, we'll have info on all three new weapons soon enough.

Improved AI: Ninja Gaiden creator Tomonobu Itagaki wanted to add some extra challenge to an already difficult game, so the AI has been improved to make all enemies smarter. Expect an even greater challenge, no matter what difficulty setting you choose.

New Camera: Now we get into what makes Ninja Gaiden 1.1 a landmark Xbox Live download. Hearing the complaints of fans, Itagaki redid Gaiden's camera. You'll now have full 360 degree control of the camera. The camera will also be smarter, so you shouldn't have to worry about it being in too close or at the wrong angle when in a fight.

Action Engine: How do you improve Ninja Gaiden? Make it faster. Yes, you heard that right. When you download Ninja Gaiden 1.1, you'll get all of the above improvements, plus an upgraded engine that makes the action even faster. What will be faster? Everything. Ryu, the enemies, and most importantly the combat. All of it will come quicker requiring even greater reflexes. Think back to what it was like playing the "slow" version of Ninja Gaiden and imagine tossing shurikens while running along walls and battling four of those annoying brown ninjas at once. Now speed that up. Hear that sound? That's your brain about to explode.

Ninja Gaiden 1.1 will be available in early August for Xbox Live subscribers who own a copy of the original game. An exact date and details on the second round of the Master Ninja Tournament are forthcoming, but remember that there's absolutely no need to be a participant in the tournament in order to enjoy Ninja Gaiden 1.1.

We'll have more on Ninja Gaiden 1.1 and the Master Ninja Tournament very soon. And if you're wondering if this is it for Ninja Gaiden downloadable content, keep in mind that there is a third round of the Master Ninja Tournament still to come. Could we see Ninja Gaiden 1.2? We sure hope so.

So, what do you guys think? Lame PC-like patch sugar coated with extras? Or a genuine 'upgrade' for the hardcore amongst us?

I vote the later, what say you?

(btw, if you haven't played Ninja Gaiden and thus haven't seen how brutally challenging yet rewarding it can be, I don't think you can see the appeal and intent behind this).

Its revolutionary for a console game.

About f'n time console games can be patched. I'm sure xbox morrowind users have prayed for years for something like this without having them answered. ;)

Guden Oden said:
About f'n time console games can be patched. I'm sure xbox morrowind users have prayed for years for something like this without having them answered. ;)

Pray for what, they'll never get a patch, mwahahahaha

If it adds features/bonuses to an already good game it's a good concept. If it fixes bugs it's aweful, if it adds features that should've been in the game in the first place it's awful as well.

I'd consider this one more like a bonus pack, so i'd say it's all good.

It's only adding goodies to an already phenominal game.

The camera wasn't broken when the game shipped, so Itagaki listening to what people want and changing it accordingly doesn't make it a lame patch.

I think it's a great download....

now... to get it to people who don't have Live.....

Thop, I guess you mean "awful"?

If so, why would it be awful to fix bugs? There are bugs in all console games, some are bigger and some are smaller. Fixing them is good. I wanted patches for bugs in Turok for the N64 for example, but obviously that cannot be.

I guess he means that the ability to patch a game could be abused a.k.a. early release-> little testing, bad programming, lazy developers increase in number.

The very notion fixed consoles incourage developers to render their products "bugless" is obtuse. Of course there are going to be bugs.

Legion said:
Put the patch on discs from popular mags.

OXM does it, but most of the time they just put in game saves, and not actual xbox live content :(. Apparently it's not "compatible" :rolleyes: hence why they don't have important content :rolleyes: like for UnrealChampionship or MechAssault. I mean.. .how different is it from downloading off the Live servers onto the hard drive then installing, than copying over from the disc and installing? :? :rolleyes:

However, Itagaki was somewhat concerned about people who don't have XBL (said in an interview).... booster disc #2 ?:D

Alstrong said:
I guess he means that the ability to patch a game could be abused a.k.a. early release-> little testing, bad programming, lazy developers increase in number.
That's exactly what i mean.

thop said:
Alstrong said:
I guess he means that the ability to patch a game could be abused
That's exactly what i mean.

But that's not possible because there's quality controls in place for console games (well, for consoles OTHER than Microsoft's anyway, *cough* Morrowind *cough*), and not all users have access to xbl anyway.

Fixin bugs is NOT bad.

EA will make the impossible possible :D There is quality control with PC games as well ... and we still get many games with plenty of bugs because they are being rushed out by he publisher.

1) Which part of the game is really "broken" in the sense that it is being "fixed"?

2) Doesn't NG come with 2-month Live subscription?

thop said:
There is quality control with PC games as well ...

Uhm, there is??? :oops: I know what you mean, but it's NOT comparable. What do you think Nintendo puts their devs through, compared to let's say, Activision did when they had Ritual release Sin an age and a half ago huh?

DeathKnight said:
Not compatible? They've had Splinter Cell levels on the OXM discs that were first available for download on Xbox Live.

actually, I think the compatibility thing was only with the Mechassault content :p. Sorry, I'm just remembering now... UC content was on the Exhibition Disc 04.... no excuse why OXM hasn't put it it on one of the discs. I suppose it's not "popular enough" :rolleyes:

Ah well.... don't know where to find those Exhibition discs anyhow...

Content patches are cool. Stability patches, however... I do NOT want to see console games similarly hampered by incomplete releases to be supported by updates...

It's an acceptable move, but hardly "revolutionary." It's a logical extension of online capabilities and following in the PC's footsteps--which is basically what console games are going to continue to do for a while. PC's have a much more developed and diverse online environment, and most things have been tried in SOME form already. Consoles can pick and choose among the better results and extrapolate what will work better for console gaming. Hopefully they will continue to do so.

Back