Nice car, good mileage

Sonic

Veteran
Here's the deal. I'm looking for a car under the $4,000 range that won't be a beat up piece of crap but able to get 30 MPG on the highway. I don't need anything superly great in looks, just something that is reliable and won't break down the moment I drive it on a major road.

Are there any good, preferrably Japanese, cars with good gas mileage for under 4k? Used of course.

A SAAB 9000, preferrably with a turbo. Will last forever those cars with a few oil changes every now and then.

My 15 year old SAAB gets 100 km's on 9 liter, mostly city driving. She's a minter my sweet Betty.

Moffell said:
A SAAB 9000, preferrably with a turbo.
He said a "nice" car, not an "ugly as sin" car.

SAAB's are solids and well equiped cars, I admit, but they're neither nice nor cheap (And in the US they might cost higher than they do here.).

Sonic said:
I said nice car. Nice being a word I hope sticks.

Your implied meaning to nice is ambiguous :?

Do you mean,

nice
girlycar.jpg

or do you mean

nice
1-Lamborghini_Diablo.jpg

:?:

Vysez said:
Moffell said:

SAAB's are solids and well equiped cars, I admit, but they're neither nice nor cheap (And in the US they might cost higher than they do here.).

See! There's a cultural difference right there! When a Swede hears "nice car" it's not about looks, it's about ownership, handling, practicality safety, safety, safety... :p

Now, if he wants a "beutifull car" instead a peugeot 407 instantly springs to mind. Not that they can be found in the states.

As for prices cars are a lot cheaper in the US, doesn't really matter which one. For 4000 I'd bet he could get a -96 possibly -97 with a bit of haggling.

Edit. Ebay linkage
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...9629231&category=6437&sspagename=WDVW

The AERO versions are the shiznitz BTW

Yes, I do not mean for looks. I mean for reliability, but not something as tiny as an Echo.

I never considered a Saab, but it sure does look like it is worth a look!

The Diablo is over and done with.

Sonic said:
Yes, I do not mean for looks. I mean for reliability, but not something as tiny as an Echo.

I never considered a Saab, but it sure does look like it is worth a look!

If you want reliable, stick with toyota, one of my brothers is an automechanic and often complains about european cars, even the expensive ones.

Sonic said:
The Diablo is over and done with.

:?

Diablo > Mercielago

_xxx_ said:
Shogun: Toyotas indeed are reliable, but not nice :)
_Don't_ step on my toes here! ;) I do have my favourites makes, though I like cars more or less generally. (and I think you agree that 1967 Toyota 2000GT would be "nice" any time if you would got it free? ;) )

Sonic,
ahem... it's all about definition. How you define nice? if it's reliable, ok car with good economy and durability, then it's Toyota. (and they DO have good looking models as well, like European version Corolla Verso (sized around U.S. Toyota / GM Matrix, IIRC) and those big Land Cruisers.)

then again, If we talk about "nice" like cars that I would like to own, then we come across the problem, where to put over 50 cars from 30 different makes? (empty airplane hangar comes firstly in my mind... that is waiting my upcoming national lottery win, so that I can get started with my "collection"... ;) )

So what's my proposition? well, here it comes: I don't give you list of makes nor models, but instead suggest that you take yourself outside (yes, yes... it means offline and out from the main door of the building. ;) ) and go for test driving all kinds of cars that are fits in your budget. Drive also cars that you think not ok from the first looks. you might suprise positively and if not, you haven't losed anything on that.

have fun enjoying all kind of motors, while looking for which one would be the best for you. :)

Vysez said:
Moffell said:

Completely the opposite from what I've found (owning an old 9000 2.0T16) - used ones are dirt cheap in US. In Europe, people keep them longer (mine's had 400 000 km already...), meaning less availability and higher price.

Saab's B202/204/234 -engines are some of the best gasoline powered engines ever made.

As for the looks - the normal hatchback 9k may look somewhat funny, but the cargo capacity is better than a lot of wagons.

Sonic said:
I said nice car. Nice being a word I hope sticks.
Its actually a nice car. But my gfs father has it for work . He drives 40m a day to work and so the economy of it , is important .

Why don't u get something like the cobolt(sp? ) or the focus . They are like 10-14k new . If you ahve 4k u can put it down and should have like a 100$ a month payments if even

i suggest going to autotraders.com

You give them a few details about what you want and where you live and youll get quite a few choices to choose from.

epic

WhiningKhan said:
As for the looks - the normal hatchback 9k may look somewhat funny, but the cargo capacity is better than a lot of wagons.

Yes the loading capacity is surprisingly good, even without folding the rear seat. After a visit to IKEA you can load a Billy bookcase into the car, fully assembled! :oops: Granted, your co driver won't have a comfy ride home but it's doable.

Back