Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by AlBran, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

What did Jason mean here ? I must have missed that news.

2. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

They are preparing two distinct SKUs for launch to cover both entry and enthusiast pricing, one with weaker GPU and one with full GPU.

Pixel likes this.
  3. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Even though Stadia spec's are tied to a cloud environment, I still think PR and buzzwords surrounding standalone hardware spec's and performance are still key in driving a certain scenario ("we provide the better gaming experience because of our hardware") within a bigger picture. Hardware performance maybe key for those wanting the best gaming experience, while others simply don't care. Point being, while the majority of casual gamers may-not care for all the hardware details, they certainly want a better gaming experience than the prior generation on convincing them to move-on/upgrade.

Anyhow, I put my bets on seeing something between 12TF - 13.5TF from the next-generation of standalone hardware.

4. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Are my dreams coming true... :runaway:

Edit: Nevermind... :cry::cry::cry:

#1124 Shortbread, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:mrgreen:

xexuxjy and BRiT like this.
  6. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

It would be a terrible terrible PR disaster if they didn't hit it, two veteran console company's new toys couldn't out spec a new challenger even by being a year late? I think this is the part where competition yields better product for the consumers comes from :).

egoless likes this.
  7. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

But there's no google console at any price. How is this comparison making any sense? You can put anything you want in a rack, it's not a console, it's not a product. It's not really a next gen console hardware. You can make a service using quad nvidia V100 right now using amazon. They should target this for a console?

Also... Consumers are perfectly aware that uncompressed pixels are the best kind of pixels.

#1127 MrFox, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    novcze, Prophecy2k, Xbat and 5 others like this.
  8. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Oh, if you're talking mono LCD akin to old candy bar dumb-phones, that's still a stretch. While the tech is ancient, almost nobody manufactures these things in quantity. It's not COTS if it's not on the shelf to buy. In the farm we have a numbest 4x 80 mono LCD text displays on the interpath routers and they aren't ideal - 6x60 would be better. I can't see Sony commissioning a custom LCD with touch for a controller. :nope:

16gb GDDR6, 4 or 8gb DD3/4. They really need to give the OS its own space on slow RAM and let the games have access to all of the fast RAM.

#1128 DSoup, Mar 28, 2019
    milk likes this.
  9. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Not absolutely required to be custom, a standard 1.8" would fit with minor redesign (I'm ignoring the fake images).

Looking at ER (medium sized chinese lcd supplier):

A 262k color 1.8" lcd with touch, a flatflex, and ili9163 driver is around $4 in prototyping quantities. A few million per year contract would probably be down in the $2 range.

https://www.buydisplay.com/default/...h-tft-lcd-touch-screen-display-module-128x160

There's a lot of lcd manufacturers to choose from when you don't need the latest pitch and if a slow driver is fine. Many do mono medium res tft, for instrumentation displays.

Sony might prefer to stay with the big japanese suppliers though. Which would make it too expensive. I'm just playing the devils advocate about the lcd.

#1129 MrFox, Mar 28, 2019
    DSoup and Prophecy2k like this.
  10. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Video showing how the fake render of PS5 and it’s controller were constructed

Prophecy2k, Pixel and OCASM like this.
  11. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Ryzen 3000 and Navi are expected to be unveiled by Lisa Su at Computex on May 27th.

https://www.techpowerup.com/254259/...rd-gen-ryzen-and-unveil-radeon-navi-this-june

12. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Well hell it's about time. I guess Lisa's hands are now forced since MS is about to open the flood gate on next gen specs at E3, this is indirect evidence to show what MS is planning.
    Navi 20 is a 20 TF gpu or 2080 TI Killer, Navi 10 is entry level 10 TF Basic bitch and the last not the least Navi 15 is Enthusiast 15 TF monster that competes with 2080. The cut down version of it is the secret sauce that goes into both Anaconda and PS5, 12-14 TF is where we at. I may be high balling here but that's what god would do.

Cuthalu, KeanuReeves and borntosoul like this.
  13. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

What little insider info we do have suggests MS won’t talk specs at E3.

14. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Even if they spoke specs they wouldn't have to say who their partner is much less which uarch its based on.

15. rokkerkory

Regular Newcomer

Would it make sense for Lockhart to launch prior to PS5? Get a head start by say 3-6 months? Then PS5 and Anaconda can launch around same time?

16. PSman1700

Newcomer

They only talk about desktop/server hardware there?

17. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

What else do you expect console hardware to be based on?

18. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Oh interesting, did I miss any recent tidbits? Can you post some quotes here?

19. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

20. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

It will be telling if they do speak about specs in detail because that would mean they are confident that they will have the most powerful APU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.