Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS5 should be very efficient at this. There is 6 level's of priority. CPU can setup what to fetch hopefully well in advance assuming engine is well written. The dedicated io controller and dma controllers will handle the actual loading/decompression/coherency/cache line flushes/... On top of it feels like ps5 has a monster of io controller and has excellent hw support outside cpu to do massive amount of io. CPU load should not be that much compared to something that had more naive hardware.

Yup. I know there is decompression hardware in both PS4 and XBO but I believe it only supports ZLIB so if you're using data packed any other way that also can't be used naively by the CPU or GPU then the CPU is unpacking and/or converting before use. This will be quite a saving on PS5 and I assume XSX as well because XBO already does this as well.

I assume this is why Cerny made several references to CPU cores worth of performance, because it's probably not the uncommon for the CPU in PS4 (and XBO) to be spending time unpacking data. The thought that data was read and unpacked with little CPU overhead is just.. :runaway:

Whichever were being used. They would run on the CPU, no?
Controllers are taking over some this, particularly SSD controllers when it comes to block management and data placement. The OS still needs to be in control but you're beginning to see implementations where the CPU is in control but delegating the work to smart (or not-so-dumb) controllers.

Interesting post in Resetera about the subject i was touching and if true would be huge:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/devs-react-to-ps5-specs-twitter-edition.175980/post-30152080

I'll not share any names as I have some friends but here's a small quote regarding PS5. This is from a major 3rd party dev......

"The data transfer is so damn fast that you don't need to keep shit rendered behind the player. That's just one part. You don't need to have a loud ass console rendering all that. Just in front." **

The rest is personal stuff and just so some realize, it's the same that I've been personally hearing for a long while.

So again, happy times ahead for all.

Interesting post in Resetera about the subject i was touching and if true would be huge:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/devs-react-to-ps5-specs-twitter-edition.175980/post-30152080

I'll not share any names as I have some friends but here's a small quote regarding PS5. This is from a major 3rd party dev......

"The data transfer is so damn fast that you don't need to keep shit rendered behind the player. That's just one part. You don't need to have a loud ass console rendering all that. Just in front." **

The rest is personal stuff and just so some realize, it's the same that I've been personally hearing for a long while.

Lol, what?! He's talking about view frustrum culling. That already happens and has happened for a very long time. You don't render the things you don't see on screen.

Edit: I'm assuming he's confusing that with keeping things outside the players view in memory. Games typically divide the game world into chunks and load them as needed, so the things you don't see are still in memory, so if you turn around they're already in RAM and ready to be rendered. There could be a change here, though I'm very curious of the limits of streaming per frame because of latency. They'd have to have latency to ssd in the same ballpark as latency to ram for it to be totally seamless.

It is what quite a few of us here have been saying :)

Happy times indeed.

Thinking about gameplay options for the consoles the idea of Battlefield level graphics meeting Breath of the Wild level area and systems kind of makes me quite happy.
PCs will do fine with a regular SSD but HD based systems will likely get load screens and annoy to no end.

Maybe for HD based PC systems the developers can fill the lengthy level loading times with advertisements for WD Black SSD series or from Seagate or PNY. :LOL:

Thinking about gameplay options for the consoles the idea of Battlefield level graphics meeting Breath of the Wild level area and systems kind of makes me quite happy.
PCs will do fine with a regular SSD but HD based systems will likely get load screens and annoy to no end.

One place I think streaming will quite obviously work out very well is streaming in baked animations. Doom Eternal is doing it for pretty much everything in the game world, and that's off shitty HDDs. Replaying baked destruction and deformation should be very easy and we'll see much more dynamic environments that way.

Currently playing Warzone and although is graphically great the lod system could improve a lot.

I/O should never be done by the CPU. You may need a CPU (an application) or other hardware device to initiate a transfer but ideally you don't want the CPU involved again until the CPU needs to utilising some of the data. Back when 8-bit CPUs were cutting edge the CPU mostly handled I/O, literally being interrupted every byte or series to bytes to move data from a buffer-space into RAM. I/O should not work like that any more. DirectX API calls are not strictly related to I/O though so maybe you're referring to something else!
This used to be true but because of how fast SSDs are nowadays, the SSD is done fetching the data before the CPU wants to come back for it using legacy file access. Modern NVME has to interrupt the CPU asynchronously to get to the speed needed. The overhead of issuing a IO operation and then coming back to it was bottlenecking SATA and NVME got rid of that mostly.

Lol, what?! He's talking about view frustrum culling. That already happens and has happened for a very long time. You don't render the things you don't see on screen.

Edit: I'm assuming he's confusing that with keeping things outside the players view in memory. Games typically divide the game world into chunks and load them as needed, so the things you don't see are still in memory, so if you turn around they're already in RAM and ready to be rendered. There could be a change here, though I'm very curious of the limits of streaming per frame because of latency. They'd have to have latency to ssd in the same ballpark as latency to ram for it to be totally seamless.

Cerny spoke about this.

On ps4 you need to keep the next 30 seconds of gameplay assets in RAM.
On PS5 you only need to keep the next 1 second of gameplay in RAM.

This implies that:
1- No wasted ram -> more free for games
2- Interesting possibilities regarding the O.S Ram. How much of the 3.5GB of reserved RAM does it really need when the system can pull that amount from the SSD in less of a second. The entire OS could run on virtual ram from the SSD with no issues.

Maybe for HD based PC systems the developers can fill the lengthy level loading times with advertisements for WD Black SSD series or from Seagate or PNY. :LOL:

What about systems that will not be able to use the potential of a SSD like earlier generation Xbox since they have their smart delivery system that guarantee that new games shall work on them also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back