Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this real? wtf is this? omfg. lol

I'm surprised the table hasn't collapsed.

(I think that photo is an AR render)

Looking forward to seeing the teardown of this thing (even if it comes after the console). It'll be interesting to see the cooling solution and the layout of the components.

On it's side, it's less menacing. People will have to reconsider where to place it.

I'm dedicating an entire room to mine.

j
I'm surprised the table hasn't collapsed.

(I think that photo is an AR render)

Looking forward to seeing the teardown of this thing (even if it comes after the console). It'll be interesting to see the cooling solution and the layout of the components.

I'm dedicating an entire room to mine.
I was contemplating putting it on my subwoofer, but I don't want an RMA issue so early. Definitely going to have to give this box some thoughts; it looks like I'll have to play it horizontal where my amp is.

Then I gotta secure one, sigh. Hopefully that second block of consoles arrives tomorrow, this time going to go in person; online is just too hard to claim one.

DXXZTKUGVBAKFE42HBQHF2HOLI.png

Atleast it will look ok besides a CM trooper i think.
I like

Xbox has details on their controllers and design lab options for this season...
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/introducing-next-gen-xbox-accessories/

Introducing Our Launch Line-up of Next-gen Xbox Accessories, Coming November 10

The Xbox Wireless Controllers in Carbon Black, Robot White, Shock Blue, the PC controller bundles, and the Rechargeable Battery + USB-C Cable will be available beginning November 10 in nearly all Xbox markets worldwide. We’ve worked hard to give you improved controller features and experiences at the same $59.99 USD starting price as our previous controller, which also plays all games on Xbox Series X|S. The Xbox Rechargeable Battery + USB-C Cable will be available at $24.99 USD.

Xbox Design Lab
Beginning October 14, Xbox Design Lab will be going offline temporarily so that we can bring you some updates, returning in 2021.

The personalized nature of the program has always made Xbox Design Lab controllers a popular holiday gift, but because it won’t be a gifting option this holiday, we encourage you to think about your gifting plans a little earlier than you might otherwise.

So both Microsoft and Sony are shipping their nextgen consoles in a combination of white and black boxes, depending on the model.

This is just getting weird..

And yes, those results are only valid for BC games. But PS5 won't change those numbers.
I expect even slower loading times on PS5 because the CPU is clocked a bit lower but for BC titles sony wants to use profiles with lower frequencies (+ optional boost mode). As both current gen consoles are jaguar based the compression algorithms should be quite the same on both. So multiplatform games should use the same compression techs (whatever the developer decided would be "optimal" in the situation).

But well, those are just BC games. Patched games or next-gen games might use completely other loading strategies. Only with those new loading strategies, the PS5 might have a loading-time edge. But it really depends if the already high IO throughput will be a bottleneck at any point.

That's my point.
PS5 will not load BC games faster than xsx|s

People expecting PS5 to be faster in early comparisons will be shocked. As they've been told it has faster storage.
Out of interest, why was the Spiderman demo Sony was showing off behind closed doors was so fast if we shouldn't expect faster loading on PS5?

Out of interest, why was the Spiderman demo Sony was showing off behind closed doors was so fast if we shouldn't expect faster loading on PS5?

You probably shouldn't for Spiderman PS4 running PS5 BC mode because that demo was designed to show off the possibility of fast I/O, who knows how the games systems were modified to enable that. I don't think I ever saw anyone claim at the time that demo was an example of BC just how fast I/O could improve open world titles, I always took it as a tech demo not a functioning game and let's remember Sony never released that demo. It was shown in closed briefings for specific audiences to get them excited about the dev possibilities it leaked everywhere but Sony never pitched that to consumers as something to expect.

This demo has been patched to use the new architecture of data streaming. This version of the game will be sold with the Ultimate version of the new Spiderman game for ~$80. The PS4 version will not get the enhancement patch they showed (according to sony).
Unpatched BC games just can't use such streaming tech. Well actually they could already work without packaging everything, but than they would have a really hard time on the current consoles. Packaging is used to maximize the slow IO of the HDD (and before that from the discs). Many small "files" would have crippled the IO from discs (CD/DVD/BR) or HDDs. With SSDs you have much lower access times and much higher bandwidth, so you don't need packaging everything together to get a optimal compressed packet. By disassembling big "files" (like textures) into much smaller you lose compression effectiveness, but you can afford to only load data that your really need. That is why the new consoles need less RAM for the same work if the game was made with that hardware in mind. While in the current gen (and even on PC), big chunks of the RAM is just used as fast cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back