Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume with such a fast SSD it can suspend to flash and completely power down in 4 seconds. Otherwise it needed the ram refreshed to suspend.

Also gddr6 have an extremely low power standby mode. But I'm not sure that can reach down to 0.5w.

0.5W standby is pretty crazy. CPU must be turned off completely. Nice feature.

Could be a whole SoC on the southbridge with its own LPDDR and e.g. a Cortex A35 for sleep functionality (updates, downloads, etc.).
Given the fast SSD, maybe it'll hybernate instead of sleep.

It's quite sad that when we talk about the next Playstation the Vita 2 is not even in the conversation. Poor thing. :cry:

But I think (like TottenTranz) that to reach 0.5W they must use some hibernate feature of the SSD and power off everything, except the DS4 (well DS5) power on function.

I agree with most of the latest, hibernating to SSD and desire for Vita 2.

I was hoping for a genuine Vita 2 when they released PS4, and again when they did 4Pro. It would be nice to have Vita 2, PSVR 2, and PS5 all hit at the same time.

But I understand if they hold back PSVR 2 until a year after release of PS5, so as not to muddy the message of supporting existing PSVR hardware. Or so I'm assuming that's the approach they will go with.

Could be a whole SoC on the southbridge with its own LPDDR and e.g. a Cortex A35 for sleep functionality (updates, downloads, etc.).
Given the fast SSD, maybe it'll hybernate instead of sleep.
Given the fast ssd would a tiny Linux distro even need memory to run for simple background downloads.

I am sure someone said the storage was mapped as memory?(could be wrong there)

It won't be fast but as it's running whilst off and the SSD would need to be on for the download data anyhow it could work and reduce the bom?

Sony seems to use BSD as a base, not Linux.

Everything needs memory to run, or do you suppose everything fits into CPU cache?

Sony seems to use BSD as a base, not Linux.

Everything needs memory to run, or do you suppose everything fits into CPU cache?

Ignore my ignorance there, I did know it was BSD but assumed it fell under the same broad stroke but I should know better.

I do not think it can all fit in cache but I am sure I read somewhere half credible rumours that the storage would be mapped within memory space, or accessiible via the memory controller. In this case for such a non performance impacted task the reasonable bandwidth and probably pretty decent CPU cache could this process could run with memory mapped into the "SSD" without additional memory soldered onto the board?

The drive may have it's own fast cache that could be used also as I suspect it will be somewhat manageable via the OS and game.

Like a ram drive only inverted and a lot slower. ;)

Probably better for the non tech thread but it just popped into my head with the flow and thought it an interesting idea. It's a console not a pc so I do not think normal logic fully applies.

If the OS that runs is an image on the disk with its memory already written in like a snapshot I would assume there would be far less read/write at startup and could just slowly chug through a download. Decryption may be an issue with my idea however but that was my thinking.

It looks like an actual optic depth of field effect that actually happened physically, on the camera lens during capture rather than a filter added digitally in post. The result of a very narrow focal length capturing a very slanted surface. The blur looks too natural for post.
It's a a common choice by ad photographers and video cinematographers to to add Jazz and stylishness. Might have nothing to do with hiding any specific thing. Or it might be the marriege of tha wish for the jazzy style AND a request to not show too much as well.

I don’t think those are on the Mobo.
If I had to make a guess that could be their SSD solution broken apart.

Since were on the topic of Scarlett reveal, the claim of it being 4x more powerful than X1X could be looked at differently; change the workload to be ray tracing and it would require say 4x X1X on compute workload to render.

So you got 4x more powerful, without getting 4x more powerful.

Yeah, judging by the reveal it could be the SSD solution disassembled.

Something I didn't notice the first time around was the 6 second demo render @2:15... any thoughts on it?

Definitely looks like RT lighting, shadowing and reflections going on in that scene. And the AA sampling and the resolution clarity looks beyond anything on the X/Pro.

I don’t think those are on the Mobo.

Since were on the topic of Scarlett reveal, the claim of it being 4x more powerful than X1X could be looked at differently; change the workload to be ray tracing and it would require say 4x X1X on compute workload to render.

So you got 4x more powerful, without getting 4x more powerful.

Can we please just stop trying to predict what Microsoft meant with 4x performance after Phil Spencer very clearly explained they meant CPU performance?

Can we please just stop trying to predict what Microsoft meant with 4x performance after Phil Spencer very clearly explained they meant CPU performance?

Though I do not disagree with your statement on what Phil said, however, Scarlett could very well offer 4x the performance "overall" than XB1-X. I don't think anyone (except maybe some delusional warriors) really believed the next-generation of XB was coming with a 24TF GPU.

Anyhow, the system as a whole (i.e., memory size, memory bandwidth, SSD solution, and APU) could very well offer developers 4x the performance than X. Something the reveal video is clearly trying to convey.

Only relegating 4x or any generic multiplier to one particular part of a system, really doesn't explain the overall architecture and potential system throughput.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back