Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crudely speaking one is baked on and the other calculated in the way light reacts with surfaces etc. l love seeing the results

Those are NOT Mark Cerny's words. Those are the words of the reporter, Peter Rubin. Only the direct quotes between speech marks are Mark Cerny's actual words, and so we don't know how he expressed the presence of ray tracing.

The reporter told he speaks with him about visual and audio raytracing later on twitter.

Is it realistic to expect that 60FPS will be the new standard with the next-generation of consoles? Phil Spencer has talked about higher framerates, but the GPU power compared to the XBO-X will be what, 2-2.5x higher? Will really game developers sacrifice most of the potensial graphics improvements for 60FPS and leave the graphics more or less at a standstill compared to XBO-X? I guess the textures will be better at any rate.

Is it realistic to expect that 60FPS will be the new standard with the next-generation of consoles? Phil Spencer has talked about higher framerates, but the GPU power compared to the XBO-X will be what, 2-2.5x higher? Will really game developers sacrifice most of the potensial graphics improvements for 60FPS and leave the graphics more or less at a standstill compared to XBO-X? I guess the textures will be better at any rate.

I think the big jump in CPU capabilities will help a lot with frame rates. But ultimately it’s always the developers choice to go for 30 or 60.

I think the big jump in CPU capabilities will help a lot with frame rates. But ultimately it’s always the developers choice to go for 30 or 60.

Yes I definitely think we will see more 60FPS games, but I also think we will still see a lot of 30FPS games, especially with ray-tracing as an option.

HFR is an option. Like 8K. There'll be some titles that use it to great effect. eg. WipeOut could be made at 120 fps as its Ps3 complexity is already good enough, and the lighting can be statically baked and streamed from SSD, so even if photorealism is aimed for instead of the usual stylised visuals, it should be a 120 fps candidate. AAA titles will pick and choose framerates. I hope higher framerates are the norm though as it just makes watching and playing the much nicer.

Exactly. We may get 60FPS early on as cross gen ports are dominant, but declining FPS and resolution will happen as it does every gen.

Edit: Ashley talks about what Zen means for consoles here. Not super technical, but her writing style is very fun and digestible.

https://www.sashleycat.com/post/tech-babble-1-consoles-will-enter-the-zen-garden

Edit 2: interesting commit from Sony here on their MCA efforts. They’re working on bottleneck analysis, and they continue to use Skylake as a proxy architecture.

https://reviews.llvm.org/D63543

Last edited:
I bet had this gen's cpus been a bit less underppwered than jaguars, and we would already had seen more 60fps games now. The amount of games hitting 60 has increased this gen compared to last. Many devs do care about framerate, despite the popular impression they don't. I think that trend will contunue come next gen, and am willing to guess we will start to see some open world games hit 60, a game type that has been clasically relegated to 30. And the most likely candidates to lead the way there are open world racers and first person shooters. I'm like 90% sure the next forza horizon will be 60fps on next gen and never turn back from that change. Same for Rage 3 (if there is one) and I'll also throw in the next far cry in there just to spice it up.

How will Zen 2 work with GDDR6 latencies? Will 32MB of L3 cache be enough?

There was some rumors about 1GB of L4 cache, but the mobo render didn't seem to indicate the existence of one.

It could be on the die, but 1GB of esram would take a larger portion of the die than 32mb of esram did on the XB1. Doubt MS would want to go that route again. Perhaps 1GB on die edram?

Last edited:
Is there reason to believe GDDR6 will be any worse for latency than GDDR5 was this gen? IIRC, the latency only looks worse than DDR3/4 if you a talking about cycles. Since the GDDRX memory runs at a much higher frequency the actual latency in terms of nanoseconds isn't that different.

I bet had this gen's cpus been a bit less underppwered than jaguars, and we would already had seen more 60fps games now. The amount of games hitting 60 has increased this gen compared to last. Many devs do care about framerate, despite the popular impression they don't. I think that trend will contunue come next gen, and am willing to guess we will start to see some open world games hit 60, a game type that has been clasically relegated to 30. And the most likely candidates to lead the way there are open world racers and first person shooters. I'm like 90% sure the next forza horizon will be 60fps on next gen and never turn back from that change. Same for Rage 3 (if there is one) and I'll also throw in the next far cry in there just to spice it up.

Hold my beer /Unreal Engine 4

Hold my beer /Unreal Engine 4

Well, isn't UE4 pretty capable of hitting 60 on base ps4 and xbone already? If the dev so choses, of course.
I thought that was a big priority at epic when they made fortnite 60.

How will Zen 2 work with GDDR6 latencies? Will 32MB of L3 cache be enough?

There was some rumors about 1GB of L4 cache, but the mobo render didn't seem to indicate the existence of one.

It could be on the die, but 1GB of esram would take a larger portion of the die than 32mb of esram did on the XB1. Doubt MS would want to go that route again. Perhaps 1GB on die edram?

wasn't there talks of having another pool of DDR4 memory for OS and CPU?

Well, isn't UE4 pretty capable of hitting 60 on base ps4 and xbone already? If the dev so choses, of course.
I thought that was a big priority at epic when they made fortnite 60.
Sort of. At least for the near term, the issue part of the issue is that it'll take time before already-in-development UE4 licensees will be able to fully incorporate that branch of the engine. Even so, I suspect there are certain underlying quirks about the engine if looking at particular trends amongst titles using it.

In a way, the impending generation may essentially mitigate any desire on Epic's part to fix underlying systems with all the extra headroom, especially on the SSD side of the equation. :p

Sort of. At least for the near term, the issue part of the issue is that it'll take time before already-in-development UE4 licensees will be able to fully incorporate that branch of the engine. Even so, I suspect there are certain underlying quirks about the engine if looking at particular trends amongst titles using it.

In a way, the impending generation may essentially mitigate any desire on Epic's part to fix underlying systems with all the extra headroom, especially on the SSD side of the equation. :p

UE5 tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back