Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DavidGraham, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

How much are they willing to spend on cooling?

2. borntosoul

Regular Newcomer

Not sure TBO, I think it would be worth the investment as I’m sure we all know heat is one of the biggest hurdles they face in a closed system box. Look at the mobile phone market because they’re doing it already and surely consoles will follow suite.

3. Barrabas

Newcomer

I think both MS and Sony have a goal of 10TF+ and will do whatever they can within "reasonable" costs to reach that goal.I even believe they can do a butterfly design ala PS4 Pro with lower performance parts. The marketing power in 2 digit TF number can't be missed. Doing 8TF in 2020 just don't add up for me, that's only 30% increase in 3 years from ONE X. I do not believe in 12TF+. If that happpens I will be surpriced and happy.

4. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

5700 saves 45W TBP by lowering the clock 125MHz and turning off 4CU. They could clearly up the CU count and lower the clock to hit 10TF without going too much higher in power, if not even using less.

Look at the TBP drops for Polaris going from 590 to 570. They drop 75W lowering the clock 300MHz, disabling 10% CU, and lowering mem speed 12%. And this is even with 590 having 12nm process advantage.

X1X had 570 clocks yet hit 6TF because they used more CUs. They drew 175W at the wall (less than 580 TBP), despite also powering CPU, OD, HDD, WiFi and other I/O.

The limiting factor is of course die size. These new RDNA CUs are not small, but the render of the Scarlett SoC seems to be even bigger than the Scorpio SoC according to various estimates. One potential spoiler here is that Samsung 7nm is an option. It has very similar density to TSMC 7nm and lower wafer cost.

#224 anexanhume, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Lukebg, BRiT, Barrabas and 1 other person like this.
  5. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

To me it speaks to the respect they have for Cerny and his ability to do his job.

6. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

TF's are not everything... If you have "just" 8-10tf, but with less bandwitdh bottleneck, less streaming issue due to slow hdd, a lot less cpu limitations,etc, you can get a big jump in "real" performances.

goonergaz and London-boy like this.
  7. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Perhaps the issue isn’t next gen being underpowered. It’s X1X that is out of power bracket because of it arriving so late.

8. Barrabas

Newcomer

Yes the "mid life updates" of these consoles has made things a bit more complex, but even a 50 % increase in 4 years from Pro seems to little, for me at least. I know TF isn't everything, but it seems that the industry is using this metric to show off their hardware. Even Google had one slide with TF values with Stadia in the middle and Pro and One X on the sides. If they go below 10TF i will go 6 feet under....Come on devs leak those numbers, I am being killed slowly...lol

9. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Yeah. Bit of a mid-life crisis.
    That was a slide for developers, not the public. At the Game Developer's Conference. One of the problems with the modern connected era is everyone thinks all info is intended for them. If you are creating a new platform and need to tell developers what power level they can target, you need to give them ballpark metrics, which is what Google did. They did not use GDC as an opportunity to pop a public snook at Sony and MS, and I'd be a bit surprised if when Stadia is publicly advertised, this TF figure is used.

Looked up Stadia reveal trailer, the one intended for the public. Not a single mention of specs.

Silent_Buddha and Barrabas like this.
  10. turkey

Regular Newcomer

Yes 6.3tf would be low for next gen, not sure many are assuming that low. :rolleyes:

Barrabas likes this.
  11. Barrabas

Newcomer

Ooops, I meant 100 % increase to 8+TF he he, thanks, but my comment for too low increase in 4 years is still my opinion.

turkey likes this.
  12. borntosoul

Regular Newcomer

Stadia is 10.7 tf and 56 CU, Sony said their machine would be faster.hmmmm.

13. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Navi vs Vega

PSman1700 likes this.
  14. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Ok thanks. I understand it's better with more RAM but that would be more expensive.

15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

They did not. That was a kotaku journalist

egoless likes this.
  16. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

No. Not at all. It all depends on how much RAM is actually needed.

If you only need 2.8 GB per second and can guarantee you can read that every second you dont need more than a base amount of RAM required (such as 12 GB). Having 24 GB RAM would then provide no benefit over 12 GB then.

Read our Reposts of Sebbi's post dealing with game asset streaming.

17. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

Pretty weird that dev kits have been handled out to 3rd party studios, yet no one leaked anyting.

I think until devs get full documentation (ala last gen Durango) we wont know target specs. These dev kits could even have Nvidia hardware inside (Durango had it IIRC)...or Vega 7 parts, who knows.

18. borntosoul

Regular Newcomer

Really, you better check!

19. Barrabas

Newcomer

Most likely they are under NDA

20. turkey

Regular Newcomer

Please link the article and we can discuss, Kotaku posts so many articles nobody will trawl to see if one matches

The only article I have read had the 10.7tf and the writer saying they believe Sony and Microsoft will be aiming higher

#240 turkey, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019