Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DavidGraham, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Right, I forgot about that, it was not a big success since the goal was to allow standby network operations, and for some reason it still needs to power on for downloading. I wonder if they will double down and do it better, or forget about it completely.

milk likes this.
  2. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

The key is CTE matching the materials. You can’t use a material wildly mismatched to the intrinsic silicon unless you want warped die, cracked bumps, etc. Unless of course you want Red Ring 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I will say that most of Sony’s physical design patents end up in shipped products. There are several patents regarding the cooling and EMI mitigation features of the PS4.

London Geezer and BRiT like this.
  3. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

If AMD has improved their power management enough over the last several years, it should be redundant to have a secondary low-power processor in the system.

4. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Gddr6 also added a lot more power management, very low clocks and low power modes.

5. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

I think you can make a case that AMD has. Look at the PPW improvements of Zen 2 over Zen+, the power savings in the new Vega variant in APUs, and the claimed gains of RDNA 2 over RDNA 1 without a node jump.

GDDR6 has a lot of nice enhancements, including the 16b addressable blocks.

6. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

On the subject of GDDR6, am I right to think that the move from a single 16/32-bit channel connection to each chip to 2 x 8/16-bit channels should help with GPU/CPU memory contention?

7. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Edit: Each channel is the same speed as a gddr5, so it's truly an effective twice the number of channels like a 512bit gddr5 at 7/8gbps. But the latency didn't improve, and the total data demand increased, I don't know if that means twice the cache required... It might be a status quo.

#3547 MrFox, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  8. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

I was wondering if having multiple data paths to each chip would lower the odds that either the CPU or GPU would be completely locked out from the data on a chip during a cycle due to the access demands of the other.

9. MrFox

Legend Veteran

It does, but since the time lost from a collision is the same, and there's twice as many request in flight, doubling the number of channel should barely compensate.

10. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

So, over time, the advantage that might be realized at any one moment doesn't hold up as it is mitigated by these other factors. Got it. Thanks!

11. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Interesting patent here from SIE. Looks like an optical/holographic medium can have different types of data on different layers that can be simultaneously or interleaved in its read patterns.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/10586566.html

It references this technical research, which includes a DNN analyzing the optical information read back.

https://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=63751

It’s a giga-scale game of Plinko.

#3551 anexanhume, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  12. scently

Veteran Regular

I think so too. Any reason why they would be doing this though? Is it strictly a function of cost? Would it still be a unified system? Or is there any advantage to separating the OS memory space or CPU from the GPU if that is what they are doing?

13. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

This is most probably the 3d audio hardware of PS5 :

For reference Arden has no audio coprocessor, they are maybe using some kind of AMD True Audio integrated in the GPU:

It was under our nose since the beginning :
    https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1022

14. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Cost is the only reason I can think of. It would still be unified because it’s a contiguous physical address space (and virtual, for that matter). You just have some memory accesses they won’t get the benefit of parallel access across all modules, lowering your theoretical peak data throughput.

Mitchings likes this.
  15. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Yeah, if they have the 320bit bus necessary to feed the 12TF gpu, they end up with either 10GB(not enough) or 20GB(too expensive) so a cost compromise is a mix, and that upper address space above 10GB would be slower but just for the OS anyway. If the OS does almost nothing during gameplay it has no negative impact, but it's still only 10GB of the address space being at full speed.

For a 256bit bus with 16GB, the entire space is at full speed, but if there's 4GB reserved for the OS it's just 12GB anyway.

So it's pretty much four quarters for a dollar.

I wish the memory manufacturers did the 1.5GB chips in the jedec specs, that would have been ideal here.

16. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

15GB would have indeed been ideal. You’d think the lifetime of a console would be enough to justify it. It’s hundreds of millions of chips.

Mitchings likes this.
  17. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Dont suppose they'll be able to optimize the OS/Dashboard use down to just 2GB ram? Maybe too many buffers still in use for video and image sharing or streaming. Or would they use any freed up memory space and maybe more for reading from the host-controlled SSDs? Or does it read directly from SSD to program address space?

18. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby

Sounds complicated. Will that be another headache for developers ?

egoless likes this.
  19. Proelite

They would at least need something like SHAPE for BC purposes.

PSman1700 likes this.
  20. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

I think so. Must be worth the savings though *shrug*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.