Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is were there is too much ambiguity... or interpretation (understanding) of what's being stated.

If I post something like rumored specs...
then someone rubber stamps them as "fake"....
States, "good try" though...
then states, "except storage and ram"...

In my view, they're stating everything else was fake, a good try though, however your storage and ram configuration is partially true (or completely).
I can read that only one way, and that's with the exception applied to the previous remark. So "it was all a good try except the part about storage and ram." You'd need to have them the other way round to read as per your interpretation -

Fake
Except the storage and RAM
Good try though.

It might be a British thing, Shortbread!? It makes sense to me at least.

While I very much doubt 32GB who knows what sort of amazing deal Samsung (sure fire favorite RAM vendor for me) would be willing to do for Sony? Maybe another 8GB moment can happen again?

The SSD I can't see happening at all and hence why I interpret it like I do.

I can see it from your point of view as well. I'm just having a little fun with Digital Foundry's play on resetera's rumored specs. However, there might be some wiggle room or deal between Sony and Samsung. If I'm not mistaken, Sony supplies Samsung with optical sensors for its phones... maybe a better unit pricing on such a move. Who knows...

I can see it from your point of view as well. I'm just having a little fun with Digital Foundry's play on resetera's rumored specs. However, there might be some wiggle room or deal between Sony and Samsung. If I'm not mistaken, Sony supplies Samsung with optical sensors for its phones... maybe a better unit pricing on such a move. Who knows...

Hey it is all good. We're all trying to (second) guess specs! Never say never is my motto so while very unlikely.....

We basically know Richard is sitting on info because he has much as told us. Also the Kotaku article was very non-committal so my take is the trusted journalists are probably toeing the line if you will until the NDA says....

Wonder how long to wait for next wave of info?

I can read that only one way, and that's with the exception applied to the previous remark. So "it was all a good try except the part about storage and ram." You'd need to have them the other way round to read as per your interpretation -

Fake
Except the storage and RAM
Good try though.

I'm not disputing right or wrong. Or that I'm right. Not at all. It's just my interpretation of how I perceived it. If someone (expert) stated to me that my Ferrari F12 Berlinetta was a fake or sham, a good try though, except for the seating and wheels... I mean, really there's little room for interpretation. But as I stated before, I could be wrong on how I interpreted it.

Last edited:
I'm not disputing right or wrong. Or that I'm right. Not at all. It's just my interpretation of how I perceived it. If someone (expert) stated to me that my Ferrari F12 Berlinetta was a fake or sham, except for the seating and wheels... I mean, really there's little room for interpretation. But as I stated before, I could be wrong on how I interpreted it.

You are.

If you leave out HDD and SSD, you'd save at least $60.

That’s fair. I just can’t see them having a large enough base to justify the SKU, and wouldn’t want the warranty/service implications either.

And would it require you install drives in both? Seems like too much of a hassle.

Well, you run the risk of confusing things with SKUs. Do you want 2/4 TB of HDD and 120 GBs of SSD, or 1 TB HDD and 240 GB SSD? The difference will depend on your play style, whether you stick to a few games and play them to death, or dip in and out. Giving the user that choice at the high end, and just giving the plebs a basic, cheapo option, seems an adequate solution. They already juggle lots of bundle and colour SKUs so it's not a big problem.

Not saying it's a no brainer, but I think it's a decent option for the console companies dealing with more storage options. They're already half-way there with external HDD support. Course, if it was up to me I'd have a modular system where you could buy without optical if you wanted. :yep2:

Course, if it was up to me I'd have a modular system where you could buy without optical if you wanted. :yep2:
There was a third party that made an expansion hub that mimicked the XO chassis to fit along side it.
https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/xbox/xbox-one/mediahub/

It would be neat if they could design the console with an optical drive/expansion media hub in mind. Plug it into the side ala the product there. There's space to insert your own additional drive and not have it dangling precariously.

Moving the optical drive out to the side could allow them to flatten the console somewhat.

Yep. Or a slim-line drive that can be placed in a matching unit on top? Or two 5 1/4" drive bays where you can add an SSD, HDD, optical drive, Zip drive, 3 1/2" floppy, or whatever you want.

mm... Guess it depends on how they go about the USB ports, and how they want the chassis to look if the person doesn't get the drive. :)

But yeah, would be pretty nifty if the PS4 were designed to add more layers. :p

Yep. Or a slim-line drive that can be placed in a matching unit on top? Or two 5 1/4" drive bays where you can add an SSD, HDD, optical drive, Zip drive, 3 1/2" floppy, or whatever you want.

Or one to make it look like a TRS-80 computer!

8 core Zen2 cpu
Vega/Navi hybrid 7nm gpu
16gb memory.
2 tb hard disc drive.

Anyone of us can make believable specs. These are mine updated.

Possible explanation: development system.

Consumer version would launch with 16... *shrug*

No, I was talking specifically about the retail console in that post. Also all PS4 devkits (at least the actual HW ones) had 8GB RAM and I expect PS5 to do the same but I guess they could revert to previous gens where devkits had more/twice the RAM of retail.

8 Core Zen CPU
14.2TF Navi based GPU
1TB SSD
32GB of GDDR6

Considering that even a slow 1TB SSD costs over 200€ and 32GB of supposedly much cheaper DDR4 costs over 300€ right now, the RAM and storage numbers seem completely unrealistic.
8 core Zen is simply what AMD should have available by 2019/220 to ensure BC and a 12-15TFLOPs GPU (64CUs at 1.4-1.6GHz) is what should fit inside 200-250mm2 come 7nm, which is the approximate area budget that MS and Sony spent for the GPU in the gen8 consoles. Except for Durango because of EDRAM, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back