Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, a guy on resetera paid the 1000 and posted it.
fuck.
Damn man. That's way worse than what MisterXMedia has ever done to the internet public. I mean I think he got donations here and there. But that's brutal.

Wow, a guy on resetera paid the 1000 and posted it.

So it's a fucking scam. Zero insider info, it's not even worth continuing to talk about it here, utterly moronic.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...ubscription-to-read.33810/page-2#post-6311500

Basically they are guessing it will be zen/navi and then said it shoud be q4/2018 or q1/2019... Because that's when navi is coming out. That's pretty much it. Teh internets bits are being wasted as we speak.

S9eei.gif

What is this article talking about? End of 2018? I don't believe it. PS5 will be announced at E3 and will be on store shelves that afternoon. Just like the Saturn.

Sooooo, Zen+Navi and APU has built-in enchantments for VR rendering? Amazing insight.

What we need is just info on... clocks, cores, threads, buffer sizes, pipeline bandwiths, memory sizes, memory speeds, number of CUs, APU size, PSU rating, storage options, OS hw partitions, API info... :) But hey, why get everything at once? We need to have something to talk about for 36 more pages. :)

Even 2019 is too soon for me. These mid-gen consoles have changed my view and I am not in a hurry to get a new console and I am quite happy with the graphics the pro and esp. the x are pumping out unlike the xbox360/ps3 generation that went for far too long. Having said that I am 100% sure that the ps5 will be released at the end of 2019 and kind of curious as to what kind of tech Sony will put into it. Microsoft is the wild card here and I think they will ride 2020 with a generous price drop for the x and drop the , substantially more powerful than the ps5 , next Xbox at the end of 2020.

For a console it would almost certainly be autumn timeframe, like september-october-ish if at all possible, for christmas holiday sales boost.

The counter reason is that this is already an expensive time of the year and there will be a bunch of predictable, but in high demand, third party AAA games launching and not everybody will chose new hardware over software that runs on their current box. PS4/XBO was different because 360/PS3 consoles were literally on their last technical legs. Switch launched in March and did fine. PS3 also launched in March in most of Europe.

Yep. New consoles will sell fine no matter when they're released. In fact, avoiding the holiday season would mean cashing in on early adopters in a quieter period, and then selling out over the holiday season too. So sell 3+ million from July to September because it's the new console selling to fans, and then sell 3+ million over Christmas because it's a new-fangled tech toy, instead of just selling 3 million to fans as their Christmas present.

Loads of big-ticket products are released away from Holiday; there's no reason for consoles to fear they'd be forgotten and overlooked. Just don't release too close to the other side of Christmas, so not end of January.

So it's a fucking scam.
Semiaccurate isn't even semicredible. Never has been.

Switch launched in March and did fine. PS3 also launched in March in most of Europe.
PS3 was supply constrained, and europe was the ugly stepchild territory after Japan/north america, so it got PS3 last. Switch launched in march because it was delayed, as I recall. For some reason, unsure what exactly; I stopped caring about switch the second I heard of the shitty hardware Nintendo put in it.

PS3 was supply constrained, and europe was the ugly stepchild territory after Japan/north america, so it got PS3 last.

PS3 was supply constrained and Sony chose to put quantity in two markets rather than stretch their supply across three. Ironically, given the price tag and other negativity surrounding PS3, Sony could probably have launched in three markets as PS3 was quickly back in stock after launching in every market. Unlike PSone, PS2 and PS4.

Switch launched in march because it was delayed, as I recall. For some reason, unsure what exactly; I stopped caring about switch the second I heard of the shitty hardware Nintendo put in it.

You're not interested in Switch so the fact it is the fastest selling console in US history is irrelevant. Sure.

The fastest selling console in US history launched in March. :yes: March looks like the sweet spot. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
How smooth was the release and implementation of GCN?

Because if it went well, and the post-GCN architecture's guaranteed a 2020 release, then it would make sense to launch the moment that architecture comes along. But if GCN was met with delays and the post-GCN date can't be counted on, maybe Navi in 2019 would be best?

Semiaccurate isn't even semicredible.
Oh but the news are perfectly credible.

It basically says:

1 - Sony's next console will be available when 7nm becomes available for mass production (between late 2018 and late 2019). Like the PS4 with 28nm and the Pro with 16FF;

2 - Sony will use an APU from AMD, who is the company who made the APUs for the all the 6 different Sony/Microsoft home consoles released between 2013 and now;

3 - The CPU architecture will be the architecture that AMD has available for the Q4'18-Q4'19 period, which is Zen;

4 - The GPU architecture will be the architecture that AMD has available for the Q4'18-Q4'19 period, which is Navi;

Everything here is perfectly credible.

It also doesn't say absolutely nothing that couldn't be guessed when looking at publicly available console release history and AMD's publicly available roadmaps.

I.e. it's worthless as news. There's not a tiny dust of info that could be read as insider knowledge here. But it's credible alright...

You're not interested in Switch so the fact it is the fastest selling console in US history is irrelevant. Sure.

It's also the first mobile console releasing without any direct competition since the Gameboy Advance released 17 years ago.
We'll see how well the Switch fares if/when Sony and/or Microsoft come up with mobile consoles of their own.

1 - Sony's next console will be available when 7nm becomes available for mass production (between late 2018 and late 2019). Like the PS4 with 28nm and the Pro with 16FF;
This seems like the only point that doesn't seem credible. "When available" ?

Have prices on 7nm come down so much that they can begin mass manufacturing at a low price point? Usually it takes a at least a year of maturing before the prices start to come down.

It's also the first mobile console releasing without any direct competition since the Gameboy Advance released 17 years ago. We'll see how well the Switch fares if/when Sony and/or Microsoft come up with mobile consoles of their own.

I loved (past tense) my PSP (76 million worldwide sales) and Vita (approx 10-15 million worldwide sales), but neither stopped the juggernaut that was Gameboy sales. In the time it took Sony to sell, at most, 15m Vita consoles Nintendo sold 150m NDS consoles. Nor is this relevant to the fastest selling US console being launched worldwide in March. It wasn't the cheapest and it wasn't the most powerful but it was the fastest selling.

If you release a good product that appeals, people will buy it. :yes:

We'll see how well the Switch fares if/when Sony and/or Microsoft come up with mobile consoles of their own.
Yeah. MS/Sony are likely to pull the rug from under Nintendo. Nintendo's handheld market has always been tenuous at best, just waiting for anyone else to enter to steal it all away from them...

Semiaccurate isn't even semicredible. Never has been.
I don't mind the speculation or even far fetched conjectures.

The reason I say it's a scam is because the preface makes it look like they have insider info, a scoop about specs and release date. Then the article is no more than the usual blog or forum post. Speculation with zero additional info. Not even an additional insight that hasn't been already speculated elsewhere.

Even if the speculation eventually ends up correct, it changes nothing to the tabloid shit he wrote to get easy money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back