Next Gen Nokia ?

Another concept pic
(Claimed) Screen cap of tech demo
In case anyone thought the demo was fake

The screen cap is 600x450. Good AA, nice lighting.

Gerard Wiener made a point of the concept phone's landscape, 16:9 screen, so I'd have thought it was decided upon.

I'd like too see what kind of real time 3D physics this thing could do. The ARM11 should be powerful, and it has a VGP to help with the geometry load.

More details at ECTS perhaps? It's obvious why Nokia wouldn't want to compete with XBox360/PS3/Revolution launches.

TEXAN said:
Ailuros said:
TEXAN said:
So it's official then?

Ngage 2 MBX powered!

Hopefully they use the 200Mhz version of 2420 that they showed at ISSCC.

Did they actually show anything @200MHz or are the cores in question just being worked on currently in the fab?

The MBX in the OMAP2420 (silicon was shown at ISSCC) was in 90nm and clocked at 200 MHz. Area is around 10mm^2.

Who in the mobile space has shown pixel shading in real silicon?

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20500&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.imgtec.com/news/Release/index.asp?ID=243

TI and Imagination will be demonstrating PowerVR Racer on a TI OMAP2420 development platform at CTIA Wireless in New Orleans, March 14 – 16.

If my memory serves me well I think the devboard at CTIA contained an MBX@~50MHz and running PVR Racer with 4xFSAA with 45-175fps low/high peaks. Any half way reasonable explanation why they didn't show anything with a higher frequency?

Nappe1 said:
TEXAN said:
So it's official then?

Ngage 2 MBX powered!

Hopefully they use the 200Mhz version of 2420 that they showed at ISSCC.

nothing is official until you have it in your hand. (PoorBastard's soul that has been f*cked up by too much hype forehand(tm.))

until there's press release in Nokia / PowerVR / Texas Instruments -site, I'd say it is most likely to have MBX. (but that's still quite far from being official.)

NOKIA is (as most know) one of TI's biggest customers. TI is actually working on a 90nm@200MHz MBX variant and as I said again, they must have at least one interested customer for such a strong 3D core. I cannot imagine 10mm^2 just for MBX in the SoC to not be overkill for both a PDA or a mobile phone.

Assuming NGage2 will contain a MBX isn't necessarily unsafe, yet the exaggerated enthusiasm is still there.

Back