Next Gen Intel iGfx?

iwod

Newcomer
With all the upcoming technology improvement from Intel; Larrabee, CSI ( i refuse to call it QuickPath... it is ugly ), Nehalem, Would we see a huge improvement in Intel's iGFX?

If we could fit a Mobile 8800 in a laptop. Surely We could at least fit at least an 8600GT equivalent into the North Bridge?

Sometimes i could not understand why Intel are not doing something about it. ( Hopefully they will with ATI now under AMD )

Maybe. I think the evidence is ample they have intent in that direction. I think software support and drivers are going to be a large component in whether their plans come to fruition or are more limited to competing with gpgpu. It's going to take a lot of perseverance over a number of years, in my opinion, to have a reasonable chance to make that happen on the graphics side. They can't get bored in a year or two, or some exec decides it just costs too much and isn't really central to their plans anyway (as has so often happened with Intel non-cpu projects).

Thanks for the update. But i have basically given up on intel graphics. G45 is Sxxt....
There are simply no heart or soul in their iGFx product.

The Nehalem and Westmere graphics will apparently just be regular boring IGPs on the package (and perhaps die on 32nm, not that it matters really). Proper 'Cell-like' integration won't be seen before Sandy Bridge. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sandy Bridge and Larrabee both have ring buses that are the same width..

What's up with all these i-Names? :LOL:

I heard that the famous Internet2 was renamed as iInternet, and Earth will be replaced in all official documents, maps and whatnot as iEarth in 2010 ;)

Nah, seriously though, it's a bit same as how AMD named Athlon XP after MS's Windows XP, someone comes up with some new nice term/name which is on everyones lips, and then there's always few up to use the momentum of the word in their own products.

may be, they are inspired by Apple and want to tell the world that they got i in them too:cool:

Except that Intel's use of the "i" precede's Apples use of the "i". I believe the Intel i740 (97?) was launched before anyone at Apple went and thought up the ipod (10/01)/imac (98) naming schemes. :)

And was their last attempt (I believe) at competing in the enthusiast/discrete graphics card arena. I don't believe i810 ever made it to market.

Perhaps iGFX is Intel announcing they once again want to compete in the graphics market by subtle reference to the i740 (which ended up late, underperformed and didn't have robust drivers).

Regards,
SB

i810 was their first chipset with integrated graphics, it was famous for being slow, using system ram, and offering no AGP slot on the motherboard. (also, drivers and features didn't help it reliably run any game). but as much as I could hate it, it did its job. integration, low power and running low spec games (the Sims is the biggest thing you can attempt on it). My opinion now is, we need IGPs!
Even if Intel GPU suck, they were right and they have been the number one GPU vendor for a while.

I always thought the i740 was only a step before their IGP (based on it), they bought a small GPU company and put their design on the market.

Even though I'm sure all of us are aware of the i[insert something here] products by Intel in the past, they've dropped naming their products that way, and I seriously doubt they would have named it iGFX without the recent success of Apple iAnything products

810 has i752 inside actually. Sort of a successor to i740 and originally planned to be a discrete GPU, but sucked too much most likely.

Ok some latest test shows G45 is about 100 - 200% faster then G35. But it is still about 10 - 30% slower then ATI 780G.

I now hope Intel could have some more performance tuning from Drivers. And compatibility and stability.

Hardware Video Acceleration looks good as well.
Finally G45 looks like something good.

Now i am thinking, with some further optimization, better clock to lock performance, and double shader amount with the die shrink to 45nm, Higher Clock speed, or double the clock speed.

We could have a half decent iGPU inside the next Generation CPU with Nehalem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. But i have basically given up on intel graphics. G45 is Sxxt....

Have you used G45? I wouldn't call it s**t personally. It's not ground breaking but its a decent step up from G35.

I personally use GM965 every day with Vista in my laptop (desktop seems to get less and less use these days) for the normal word processing, web browing, e-mail, a bit of Photoshop, playing the occasional bit of WoW, as well as the whole of the Penny Arcade game, and to be honest it does the job pretty damn well - if I wanted a gaming laptop I wouldn't have gone for integrated graphics.

You find people knock IGPs left right and centre, but if you give a crap about games start complaining about the low-end discrete cards too, have you ever tried gaming on 8400GS or 3450?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back