Next Gen Gaming Wishlist

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Apart from hardware related stuff there are equally imp factors which should be talking about.

Save: Hard Disk must be there by default with Mem Card as an optional accessory. And if HD is not included then Mem Card should hold enough data for 100s of games....I mean com'on only 8MB for PS2.. o_O and even less for GC :?:

Frame-rate: No games with inconsistant frame rate should reach consumers. Bottom line - only 60fps and nothing less...and with next gen power it should not be a problem.

Loading Time: At no point of time in games should there be a loading time of more than a second if at all. Games with no loading time should be awarded fair-play trophy :D

Gaming Device: With this hype about covergence etc I afraid that game consoles might no longer be a game console....they may try to create an all-in-one device and in the process losing focus which is gaming. I like Nintendo's strategy in that regard. To solve this problem they could release two version one which is purely a gaming console and another which has all other goodies.

Simultaneous release: Efforts should be made to ensure that most games are relased at same time across the world after all we pay equal price...

More localised contents: In future China and India are going to become big gaming markets, they should give more weightage to both markets.

Deepak:

> Frame-rate: No games with inconsistant frame rate should reach
> consumers. Bottom line - only 60fps and nothing less...and with next
> gen power it should not be a problem.

I think it will be as much of a problem as it has been this gen. There's always going to be lazy/incompetent devs, underfunded projects, ppl who favor effects over framerate and so forth.

Frame-rate: No games with inconsistant frame rate should reach consumers. Bottom line - only 60fps and nothing less...and with next gen power it should not be a problem.

They said that with the power of current generation consoles, framerates should have been absolutely stable. Look what happened. There are always ways to make software that asks too much from the hardware, In most cases it's just a matter of lazyness in optimisation.

Loading Time: At no point of time in games should there be a loading time of more than a second if at all. Games with no loading time should be awarded fair-play trophy :D

Again, it is more a software problem than a purely hardware related one. Like FAF said, at current speed of drives in current consoles, it is possible to empty and refill the main memory with data from the DVDs in less than 5 seconds (IIRC). The reason of some games having ~1 minute long loading times is just pure laziness from the software developer. And Laziness won't magically disappear when we're hit with the next gen of consoles.

Simultaneous release: Efforts should be made to ensure that most games are relased at same time across the world after all we pay equal price...

Heh... Look at the "american vs Japanese games" thread...

More localised contents: In future China and India are going to become big gaming markets, they should give more weightage to both markets.

And may i say, give the UK less to wait than Italy or Germany or all other european countries, since all we get is the american version in PAL format, we do not need 823 different languages in our games. WE ALL SPEAK ENGLISH.
But it's not going to happen.

What i'm asking is, make the consoles "multi-region" and make it easy to buy import games from retailers, like it already happens with CDs and to a certain extent also DVDs. So that us UK gamers don't need to wait 6 months to get games that are ultimately just the same version the US is getting. Everyone has a TV capable of displaying NTSC signals. And they could get some nice profit margins since the majority of the people here is prepared to pay a little bit more (even more...) to play imported games, as long as we don't have to wait 6 months for the freaking thing to get released.
But it's not going to happen. Too much politics...

london-boy said:

They said that with the power of current generation consoles, framerates should have been absolutely stable. Look what happened. There are always ways to make software that asks too much from the hardware, In most cases it's just a matter of lazyness in optimisation.
It's even funnier that as the consoles have been on the market for longer time, there seems to be more and more games with unstable frame-rates. Even high-profile titles suffer from choppy screen update.
It must be because the competition forces the games to 'look' better and better on screenshots, sacrificing the framerate.

rabidrabbit said:
It's even funnier that as the consoles have been on the market for longer time, there seems to be more and more games with unstable frame-rates. Even high-profile titles suffer from choppy screen update.
It must be because the competition forces the games to 'look' better and better on screenshots, sacrificing the framerate.

Yep, they want to make the internet fanbois happy. The ones who look at the screenshots and argue on which console is more powerful than the others, not the ones who actually PAY them to play the freaking things...

This gen fps aint that bad. Comparing last gen which i feel averages 20-30fps, now we have 30-60fps. I think next gen will have more 60fps games, even if eye candy is maxXxed.

What i hope is all consoles have full HDTV support running full fps at 480p, 720p or 1080i. NO drop in either case. High res really upped the graphiX outlook nicely. AND have true HT audio support with POWERFUL hardware 3D sounds. I be please with realtime DD and DTS 5.1 and many 3D channels. Giving those EX 7.1 support will be a bonus.

Hard to go back to guady lowresy tech interlacing and matrixXxed surround once you tried progressive and 5.1. EA should be shot for some of their 480i games! :)

chapban. said:
What i hope is all consoles have full HDTV support running full fps at 480p, 720p or 1080i. NO drop in either case. High res really upped the graphiX outlook nicely. AND have true HT audio support with POWERFUL hardware 3D sounds. I be please with realtime DD and DTS 5.1 and many 3D channels. Giving those EX 7.1 support will be a bonus.

Yeah then you can buy me both a HDTV AND a 7.1 surround sound system.

Realistically, there might be HDTV options, however i feel the companies will want to capitalise on what the majority of the people has (480i) and make that one look the best with massive doses of AA (high-end DVD IQ is pretty enough for me). I am the only one i know who has a HDTV capable TV. And i know a lot of people.

Also, 5.1 will be just fine, there is no REAL need to have 7.1, although "the more the better".

You are in Europe. :p

It is not just the AA thing, but how more defined and sharp hi res look. Details you missed at low res become details you NOT miss at hi res! YET, at 480i there is only so much to AA, not to mention how MORE blurry the more AA is done to a game.

More thoughts, wireless controllers OR usb controllers that work with PC! Option 2 sound out though. AND please keep the super all in one set top box crap to PSX2 or Xbox-Station. Juz gimme a kickass 299 console that plays online and offline games and some internet surfing mp3 playing small sizing form factor, all outta the box. Thanks. :)

chapban. said:
More thoughts, wireless controllers OR usb controllers that work with PC! Option 2 sound out though. AND please keep the super all in one set top box crap to PSX2 or Xbox-Station. Juz gimme a kickass 299 console that plays online and offline games and some internet surfing mp3 playing small sizing form factor, all outta the box. Thanks. :)
:? isn't that what you wish (Mp3, internet) just that "all in one set top box crap", that you didn't want a second earlier :?

Or will just the inclusion of pvr functions push it over that specification?

chapban. said:
You are in Europe. :p

It is not just the AA thing, but how more defined and sharp hi res look. Details you missed at low res become details you NOT miss at hi res! YET, at 480i there is only so much to AA, not to mention how MORE blurry the more AA is done to a game.

Trust me, i know what you mean, i think i've voiced my opinions on progressive-scan well enough on these very boards... :LOL:

chapban. said:

Personally, the more they cram into one box, the fewer number of boxes and wires around my house, the happier i am.

rabidrabbit said:
chapban. said:
:? isn't that what you wish (Mp3, internet) just that "all in one set top box crap", that you didn't want a second earlier :?

Yuppers. PVR function can up the prices with TV turner and a disc writer and some larger harddisk storage. If they feel compel to sell at 299, i fear the main gaming features has to be cut back to allow for such functons. I fear too how the hardware will be done. At least with gaming, all be concentrated on beauty 3D, but with other funny functions i fear some resources might be channel there.

Not to mention the lifespan of the laser lens. Sony lens + rewriteablility? :shuuder: :)

chapban. said:
rabidrabbit said:
chapban. said:

Yuppers. PVR function can up the prices with TV turner and a disc writer and some larger harddisk storage. If they feel compel to sell at 299, i fear the main gaming features has to be cut back to allow for such functons. Not to mention the lifespan of the laser lens. Sony lens + rewriteablility? :shuuder: :)
A TV tuner wouldn't up the cost much. By next gen, a RW DVD won't cost much either, not much more than 7.1 sound (5.1 is enough in games imo) or extreme HDTV resolution support.
And you already want the HDD in your machine so it's cost is irrelevant.

Or they could dump the HDD and go for RW HD DVD.

Well, if the lenses Sony uses are so sub-par, it's better MS will not use them, but instead use ones from for example Thomson, Philips etc... they bust be so much more durable :rolleyes:

chapban. said:
Not to mention the lifespan of the laser lens. Sony lens + rewriteablility? :shuuder: :)

Myth. It's more about how clean you keep your system than the "lifespan" of the lens. The lens never touches anything, therefore is bound to last a very long time. Other factors come into play when talking about laser lifespan. Also, personally i've never had a problem with Sony drives, and my OLD 10 year old portable CD player is still going VERY strong. In fact it reads scratched CDs better than my PS2 does. Go figure...

Also KB/M support for FPS games or if they can design a better controller it would be even better

Screen adjust option should be included in all games, many times this option is not there and I feel very irritated.

I know Sony disc rom/ram are not too popular with PC people too. STILL rewriteability is going to affect len lifespan, Sony or not. Cost is still cost. Taking off HDD for rewriteable DVDR do not sound good.

More thoughts, how about adjustable graphics options like the PC! I really like that! Some time turning say, details low, and you be getting good fps, while not missing much visually, like say a few boxes strewn here and there! How be that affecting console programming though?

chapban. said:
More thoughts, how about adjustable graphics options like the PC! I really like that! Some time turning say, details low, and you be getting good fps, while not missing much visually, like say a few boxes strewn here and there! How be that affecting console programming though?

Hopefully not! We have PCs for that, thank you

chapban. said:
I know Sony disc rom/ram are not too popular with PC people too. STILL rewriteability is going to affect len lifespan, Sony or not. Cost is still cost. Taking off HDD for rewriteable DVDR do not sound good.
I have had probably about a hundred CD/DVD drives over the last ten years, and I've seen no pattern to reliability by manufacturer. They are relatively unreliable components due to them being mechanical rather than purely electronic.

The lens I would consider to have infinite lifetime compared to the seek drive+motor, spin drive+motor, tray mechanism and general alignment.

Perhaps the higher-power lasers used in rewriteables have somewhat lesser life, but my nearly-10-year-old CD writer is still going strong (if now replaced with a faster model).

chap said:
YET, at 480i there is only so much to AA, not to mention how MORE blurry the more AA is done to a game.

AA doesn't "blur" anything, it merely filters out frequencies in the color buffer that the screen can't properly display due to its' resolution. Many people mistake this for "blur" but technically it's not.

Back