[News] Microsoft admits slow start for Xbox 360 in Japan

I actually wandered off for about half an hour to decide whether I should post this. I decided to go ahead:

mckmas8808 has the same mindset as my ex-boss, and the one before him, and the one before them, etc. You judge performances by outcome, and applaude people for their savviness/wisdom.

In the gaming business, we all forum posters know that development schedule can be a huge problem. So industry players like Microsoft should already have contingency plans in place (What-ifs and if-nots). In this case, I assume MS chose to not apply them. Perhaps they thought the delayed games don't matter, or perhaps launch numbers don't really matter, etc. In any case, the sales numbers turn up bad in Japan.

I would not applaude MS yet, it's too early to say anything until the rest are in the game. The proof will be in the sales numbers.

If we were to commemorate Microsoft based on their Xbox Japan effort *now*, then we would have to applaude quite a few things in the industry:
* Itanium during the first few years
* Cell, regardless of how well it performs
* Nintendo for that Revolution controller and all the 1st party games that will use the controllers
The investments are already sunken, they have to follow-through for a few years to recoop and make good their initial ambitions.

I would encourage Microsoft though... afterall Halo (and Ikaruga) are the only 2 games I play frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
Well it wasn't 10 times, but anyway, the most simple reason is that there were more PS2's out at launch than X360, obviously because of the worldwide launch.. If X360 launched with as many units as PS2, it would have sold out anyway. In Europe and NA of course. PS2 still had awful shortages simply because there's just too many people wanting the new console at launch. There will always be "shortages" simply because keeping up with demand will be impossible. :smile:

If PS3 launches with as many units as X360, it will sell them out. Will it mean that PS3 "could only sell as much as X360!!"? No. It just means Sony could provide those many consoles.

About the launch lineup, i'm not sure, depends on taste really, but PS2 had a couple of really cool games (Tekken Tag and SSX) which i played much more than anything i would play on X360.
I was talking about Japan. Sorry for not making that clear.

patsu said:
mckmas8808 has the same mindset as my ex-boss, and the one before him, and the one before them, etc. You judge performances by outcome, and applaude people for their savviness/wisdom.

In the gaming business, we all forum posters know that development schedule can be a huge problem. So industry players like Microsoft should already have contingency plans in place (What-ifs and if-nots). In this case, I assume MS chose to not apply them. Perhaps they thought the delayed games don't matter, or perhaps launch numbers don't really matter, etc. In any case, the sales numbers turn up bad in Japan.

I would not applaude MS yet, it's too early to say anything until the rest are in the game. The proof will be in the sales numbers.

If we were to commemorate Microsoft based on their Xbox Japan effort *now*, then we would have to applaude quite a few things in the industry:
* Cell, regardless of how well it performs
* Nintendo for that Revolution controller and all the 1st party games that will use the controllers
The investments are already sunken, they have to follow-through for a few years to recoop and make good their initial ambitions.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't see the need to applaude them until they proves themselves in Japan. Hate to say it but who knows if those JRPGs will be good. They should going by whose developing them, but who knows how the public in Japan will receive them.

To me there's no reason why the X360 launch's games were worst than the Xbox launch games. Management should have been a little better. If games had to be pushed back at least have them come out a month or two after the release of the console (i.e. launch window).

Those numbers are really pathetic considering how many people are in Japan.

(approximate numbers)
America: 395 million people, 1.3 million of which bought X360
Japan: 125 million people, 0.1 million of which bought X360

That's surprising to me because America is so diverse, while Japan seems much more homogeneous. I guess it makes sense though, the people of Japan are all the same in their rejection of X360 xD

mckmas8808 said:
This is exactly how I feel. I don't see the need to applaude them until they proves themselves in Japan. Hate to say it but who knows if those JRPGs will be good. They should going by whose developing them, but who knows how the public in Japan will receive them.

To me there's no reason why the X360 launch's games were worst than the Xbox launch games. Management should have been a little better. If games had to be pushed back at least have them come out a month or two after the release of the console (i.e. launch window).

I applaud MS too. What theyre doing i Japan is a huge undertaking and theyre giving it their best shot and putting a tremendous amount of work and money into it. I respect that, theyre backing up their words with actions. I've applauded sports teams for giving it their all and coming up short, whats the big deal?

People at work (in various professions) have been applauded for their effort, persistence, a great presentation, even if the outcome wasnt the best, or they didnt win the proverbial 'contract'.

Fact is, half the people wouldnt be applauding MS even if they sold 1 million units in Japan by now for some reason akin to 'well they have billions to burn' or some such.

Jeez just let Hardknock applaud already and lets move on!

expletive said:
I applaud MS too. What theyre doing i Japan is a huge undertaking and theyre giving it their best shot and putting a tremendous amount of work and money into it. I respect that, theyre backing up their words with actions. I've applauded sports teams for giving it their all and coming up short, whats the big deal?

People at work (in various professions) have been applauded for their effort, persistence, a great presentation, even if the outcome wasnt the best, or they didnt win the proverbial 'contract'.

Fact is, half the people wouldnt be applauding MS even if they sold 1 million units in Japan by now for some reason akin to 'well they have billions to burn' or some such.

The man can applaud all he wants. But this is a board where we discuss certain topics. I was just giving my personal opinion. And you of all people should be more critical of MS in Japan. You know they could have done plenty of more things that could have helped out their stance in Japan with the 360.

To be honest I'm not applauding Sony either as far as the PS3 is concerned. I think the over super duper cover up thing is just going a bit too far. To me the longer they hold out the bigger their Feburary show has to be (if they is one). Now that it's about to be Feburary in a day and a half I personally think Sony has to basically swoop everyone interested off their feet. If they don't they won't be any applauding from me.

expletive said:

Well... mckmas8808 is just looking at it from performance evaluation point of view.

Personally, I'm waiting for Halo 3 before I congratulate Microsoft. :D
It's the only console game my wife would play, and we completed Halo 2 co-op on Legendary 3 days after launch. 3 days and nights with ordered-in pizzas. So yeah, when Halo 3 comes out, you won't hear from me for about a week. And then I'd applaude Microsoft.

BTW, I'm also cheering for Cell and Revo :)

mckmas8808 said:
The man can applaud all he wants. But this is a board where we discuss certain topics. I was just giving my personal opinion. And you of all people should be more critical of MS in Japan. You know they could have done plenty of more things that could have helped out their stance in Japan with the 360.

To be honest I'm not applauding Sony either as far as the PS3 is concerned. I think the over super duper cover up thing is just going a bit too far. To me the longer they hold out the bigger their Feburary show has to be (if they is one). Now that it's about to be Feburary in a day and a half I personally think Sony has to basically swoop everyone interested off their feet. If they don't they won't be any applauding from me.

Ya right... One new CG trailer and you'll be singin a different tune!!

Just kiddin.... ;)

expletive said:

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

scooby_dooby said:
Ya right... One new CG trailer and you'll be singin a different tune!!

Just kiddin.... ;)

95% of all statements made before the phrases i'm just kidding/joking/playin'/bs'n are all the intended sentiments that someone wants to convey.

Please note that 80% of all statistics are made-up on the spot. ;)

I think there is a large enough market for JRPGS outside of Japan for J-devs to still be happy. Most people can't even agree on which games are actually RPGs anyway. I think they should localize from the outset, drop the games on the different regions and see how it goes.

Alpha_Spartan said:
The Xbox 360 launch lineup was better than the PS2's. Yet the PS2 sold 10 times more systems. Why is that? It's not a simple answer.

The fact of the matter is that if the PS3 has the same lineup as the Xbox 360 in Japan it will still sell ten times more systems. That's a fact.
Alpha_Spartan said:
I was talking about Japan. Sorry for not making that clear.
Hmm, something doesn't match up. :rolleyes:

PS2 Japan launch titles
# Artdink: A-Train 6
# Ascii: Kakinoki Shoogi
# Ask: Kanekyuu Billiard Master Q
# Astrol: American Pinball
# From Software: Eternal Ring
# Idea Factory: Sky Surfer
# Jaleco: Stepping Stage
# Koei: Kessen
# Koei: Mahjong Taikai
# Konami: Jikkyoo World Soccer 2000
# Konami: Drum Mania
# Namco: Ridge Racer V
# SCEI: Fantavision
# Square: Driving Emotion Type-S
# SunSoft: Street Mahjong Trance
# T&E Software: Golf Paradise
Xbox 360 Japan launch titles
Every Party
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
Ridge Racer 6
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Perfect Dark Zero
Tetris: The Grandmaster Ace

Hardknock said:
What's your point? They are actually pretty damn comparable, especially including XBL Arcade games. Look at the quality of titles not the number. Not to mention Enchant Arm and DOA4 launched 2 weeks after launch.

But Alpha Spartan said that the Xbox 360 launch was much better than the PS2 launch. It seems even you agree with "one". The man said something wasn't right and you actually agreed with "one" while trying to disagree with him.

So what's your point?

mckmas8808 said:
But Alpha Spartan said that the Xbox 360 launch was much better than the PS2 launch. It seems even you agree with "one". The man said something wasn't right and you actually agreed with "one" while trying to disagree with him.

So what's your point?

I said they were comparable regardless of the number. As far as quality, yes the 360 had better launch games.

This surely isn't too difficult for you to understand right?

mckmas8808 said:

I completely agree with this: They did a few steps forward in doing some things right (securing new exclusive titles down the horizon, and showed some dedication in securing the Japanese market) but the way they executed what they had planned is akin to taking a few steps back when their most important titles weren't even ready for launch. With such a weak launch appearance, they should have hold it of until the software would have been there. Launching the way they did surely didn't make a very good impression and surely won't help them gain popularity in their future quest to capture the market. If they continue this, I don't see them holding Japan exclusive support much longer, unless they're willing to throw quite a few big money hats around (what I suspect them to be already doing anyway).

Hardknock said:
I said they were comparable regardless of the number. As far as quality, yes the 360 had better launch games.

This surely isn't too difficult for you to understand right?

Ok let me recap a second...
Now you two are arguing over who has better taste in games? Cause in the end, that all this is about, one saying one console had better launch games in his opinion, and the other disagreeing.

Way to go boys!!

london-boy said:
Ok let me recap a second...
Now you two are arguing over who has better taste in games?

No. We're not. Not sure where you pulled that from. Mckmas tried to put words in my mouth. That is all.

From you:

Hardknock said:
What's your point? They are actually pretty damn comparable, especially including XBL Arcade games. Look at the quality of titles not the number. Not to mention Enchant Arm, Dynasty Warriors 5 and DOA4 came within 2 weeks after launch.

Quality is a personal opinion.
So yes, you are discussing whose opinion is best, which i daresay is useless.

Phil said:
If they continue this, I don't see them holding Japan exclusive support much longer, unless they're willing to throw quite a few big money hats around (what I suspect them to be already doing anyway).

Not true. The majority of Japanese support is not based off how 360 will do in Japan, but how well it'll sell worldwide.

Back