Newegg search getting worse and worse

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
Over the years it seems Newegg's search has gradually gotten worse. Not too long ago they changed it to where instead of letting you choose all your options in the drop-down menus before clicking Search, the search automatically updates as soon as you make a selection in a drop-down menu. This alone made searching take about twice as long as it used to.

However, in the last week things have gone in the toilet. They got rid of the drop down menus in favor of an abominable series of checkboxes. There are far fewer selections, and it truly takes 3x as long to find what you're looking for than the drop-down menus, even after they shitified the drop-down menus.

Main reason I use and recommend Newegg is for the fantastic search. I guess it's still technically the best, but that's only because everyone else sucks so bad. Change for the sake of change :devilish:

Yes it's definitely still the best for searching and switch to checkboxes has helped IMO. Usually all the other options are found under "More options +". Each subsection has a more options and then the overall section brings down more subsections. It's based on popularity of options selected as to what shows by default without expanding for more, so I guess you can blame the users :)

Now we have to constantly click "More Options" and scroll up and down the page to find anything useful. Takes way longer. Suckdom.

Newegg seems to have everything, I've never used its search but often get it in web search results, even though I'm on the wrong continent. If you follow hardware and know what you want already it's invariably there. Somewhat nice for the price point and to read the comments.

The web store I use in my country has great search too, you go to the category (like PSU, HDD, motherboard, CPU, LCD display, memory) and have a ton of combo lists with checkboxes in them, and sliders.

E.g. for a mobo you can check among other things socket type, chipset (e.g. both H81 and B85, or both H77 and Z77, or A88X only etc.), manufacturer, format (multiple choices again).
For memory it's the same great flexibiliy : if you want all kits made of two sticks of ddr3 1866 or 2133, sorted by price, or you want to query all single 8GB sticks of all types excluding only SO-DIMM, you can do it.

I could talk about the displays but you guess it, all is selectable (like "show me all IPS/VA/PVA 1920x1200 or 2560x1440 displays" and "show me all 1600x900 and 1920x1080 displays under 120 euros").

Wow, so I'm pricing out some items for a couple of computer upgrades and when I got to the memory, I was stunned. There are no filters for memory capacity or memory speed anymore. What's next, no filters for core count and ghz on processors?

Maybe they are still working on the new filter system, but if that is the case, they should not have gone live until it was done. Memory capacity and speed are very important filters, in my opinion. Hopefully it is just a problem for tonight and will be fixed soon.

NewEgg's search is now absolutely horrible.

I tried searching for some additional memory for my workstation motherboard so I put in ECC DDR3 and every single item in the first 12 pages of results was not even ECC memory. Absolutely rubbish. Their site used to understand that distinct difference. Next I have to guess what they consider to include "ECC" if it's Desktop or Server or RackMount NAS or WATCHES or Printer/Scanner/Fax Accessories or some other 15 non-related categories. So then after guessing "Server", up shows ECC category but then I cant also specify the quantity (32 Gb in 4 Dimms). I then try using "ecc ddr3 1333 8gb" which produces 200 results seemingly in completely random order, where over half of the items listed isn't even ECC memory.

Wow, so I'm pricing out some items for a couple of computer upgrades and when I got to the memory, I was stunned. There are no filters for memory capacity or memory speed anymore. What's next, no filters for core count and ghz on processors?

Maybe they are still working on the new filter system, but if that is the case, they should not have gone live until it was done. Memory capacity and speed are very important filters, in my opinion. Hopefully it is just a problem for tonight and will be fixed soon.

I checked in disbelief and it appears you are correct. At least I couldn't find the option anywhere either.

Something is not right they're. I just checked on mobile and speed and capacity are there.

Oh my god, you cannot search by GPU type either. E.g. "GTX780".

So long Newegg, you had a good run. Have fun selling toasters and shit.

I'm convinced that the search is simply broken at this point. You can't even search motherboards by socket type.

So I did an online chat which confirmed my suspicion:

Dora: Hi, my name is Dora. How may I help you?
homerdog: I cannot figure out how to search motherboards by socket type.
homerdog: Or GPUs by GPU type
homerdog: of memory by capacity and speed...
homerdog: *or
Dora: Thank you for providing me with that information, Bern. I truly apologize for any inconvenience you have endured. I assure you I will do my best to resolve this issue. May I please place you on hold while I look into this for you?
homerdog: sure thanks
homerdog: I have been using Newegg for many years and ordered thousands of dollars of computer equipment
Dora: Thank you for holding. I am so sorry for the inconvenience. The search part of our website has some problem now. I have contacted our own internal helpdesk so that they can look further into this for you. One of our specialized helpdesk agents will contact you directly with more information or a possible resolution.
homerdog: Okay thank you very much
homerdog: They will email me?
Dora: You are welcome and yes. Thank you for your understanding and patience. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
homerdog: No that's it, thanks
homerdog: bye

Last edited:
I have been patiently waiting for a non-reference R9 290X, and have been checking on Newegg every few days. Sometimes the search options will be present, other times not.

Oh my god, you cannot search by GPU type either. E.g. "GTX780".

So long Newegg, you had a good run. Have fun selling toasters and shit.

GTX780 seemed to work fine for me.

I just checked full newegg and yes the memory selection criteria is all screwed up. Their mobile seems fine so I'm sure it's just a coding fuckup.

As Sinistar noted, sometimes it works better than other times. It is broke.

Dora said somebody would contact me directly. Not really holding my breath.

Back