Newbie in Cell dev: VmWare image avible?

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by MrCarrefour, Jan 5, 2009.

1. MrCarrefour

Newcomer

Hi friends,
    I'm wondering about a first "Hello world" app for cell.
    I'm not a Linux user, so I'd like to know if a VmWare (or Virtual Pc) image is avaible with last Cell SDK.
    If it's not avaible, will it be soon?
    I'm not going to install linux and spend time on this now ..
    Thank you

MrCarrefour
    Italy

2. patsu

Legend

3. catisfit

Regular

Here is a Fedora 7/Cell SDK 3.0 VMWare image. Or Google "Cell BE SDK 3.0 New!" to find the page with that name.

4. MrCarrefour

Newcomer

Just downloaded
    I'm tring to use it, but at the startup they askme a Username and a password to log into fedora linux os, :???: What must I type there ??
    Thank you

5. catisfit

Regular

IIRC,
    user: root
    pass: inn0vate

It's on the website somewhere (granted, it's not clear).

6. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Thanks for this. I've tried to download this earlier from somewhere but the download was incomplete. Now I got it ready to go on my usb drive, so who knows I can finally give some Cell code a spin! If I can get into it, then I'll probably try getting things up and running again on the PS3 too.

7. MrCarrefour

Newcomer

Thank you

Thank you very much!
    I get the example <<Hello Cell>> application working in the cell simulator :grin: it's very exciting!
    It's a very good starting point, I think it would be very difficult to setup everything like this.
    Unfortunatly the matrix multiplexer don't work cause a "malloc problem", I think it's because my pc have not enought ram (I reserved 512MB for the vmware fedora VM)
    I suggest at least 1GB of RAM.
    It sound strange to have a fedora VM with a cell simulator inside, wich is a sort of VM too, so this is MATRIOSKA doll!!!

I should need more c++ skills, but I hope to get fun in cell developement!

8. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I tried it, and it works, and the image and Cell development environment is very easy to get into. I'm very happy to have this image, thanks again. And I agree, it's pretty crazy to see the Cell Developer start up as basically another Linux VM in a Linux VM.

I can definitely see that this would be a great help when developing against the Cell processor on the PS3. Now I just need something to actually do with it!

Now if I could download something similar for the PS3, a LiveCD or something with the same setup, with only the Development environment.