New Xbox Game

casper

Newcomer
I saw this on IGN - I'll let the screens speak for themselves.

abducted_100802_08.jpg

abducted_100802_07.jpg

abducted_100802_06.jpg

abducted_100802_05.jpg

abducted_100802_04.jpg

abducted_100802_03.jpg

abducted_100802_02.jpg

abducted_100802_01.jpg

Quote from the IGN article:

Contraband Entertainment is currently developing a cinematic horror game for both Xbox and PC. Early in development, the game will not likely see the light of day until 2004. Featuring real-time lighting and dynamic shadowing, the game promises to scare you our of your pants while dazzling you with its visuals. IGN brings you eight tantalizing screenshots. We'll have more the moment it's available.

I don't like the look. It's too classic CGIsh :-?

Is this game made by Shiny Entertainment? :LOL:

"Shine Get!" :LOL:

BTW, is it me or does that guy look like Bill Gates? 8)

It does look "odd", but for the graphic newbies here, can you elaborate a bit?

It has nothing to do with graphics technology - it's just plain ugly and overused. Visuals like this reek of "Look mom! I discovered this cool new feature - now let's build something that is going to put it to some use!" mentality. I hate that.

Well, at least it shows that others besides ID are also jumping on the full per-pixel everything and DOT3 bandwagon, which IMHO is a good thing, but its the only good thing I can see going for this game ATM.

That bump and shiny look is waaaaaaaaaay overused! Why the heck does this guy's shirt, which is actually looking okay when only considering the bumps used for the crinkles, have to be shiny and reflective too? Did those aliens wrap him up in plastic foil to play dirty games or something? Yuck! Luckily the game will still be in development for well over a year at least, so lots of time for the designers to correct the flaws from these early screenshots. Hope they fire whoever convinced them to go for this extremely overdone look (could be the lead designer but might as well have been someone from marketing telling them to "make things more shiny for the press, please" or a programmer wanting to show off his l33t r0xx0ring coding skillZ)...

Nifty new engine or not, shots like this shouldn't be shown to the public, the uninitiated might go "hui, nice bumps and shiny stuff, you don't get to see that often", but the more seasoned gamer will already notice that its just eyewash if used like this (not even mentioning how artists and other more experienced folks will stomp all over shots like these complaining). Anyway, excellent example of how not to use fancy new technology.

Hopefully Doom 3 and Halo 2 will make much more sensible use of these features...

BTW you guys want to see some nice bumpmapping and per pixel lighting Godzilla looks fabulous. Picked it up yesterday and am loving it so far. Very fun. Pipeworks are gonna be heard from from now on.

Goldni said:
BTW you guys want to see some nice bumpmapping and per pixel lighting Godzilla looks fabulous. Picked it up yesterday and am loving it so far. Very fun. Pipeworks are gonna be heard from from now on.

Goldni, I'm interested in Godzilla. So it's really good huh? How's the single-player experience?

Back